PDA

View Full Version : Recharge port Idea

Noyl Wendor
09-05-2011, 08:50 AM
So I'm sitting here with a 2 AA battery pack on the table. I'm getting it set up to put in a 3.7 v lit-ion. I don't want to do any more power than that, so I'll do a recharge port. Then it occours to me "why don't I wire the recharge port where the dummy cell would go?"
On one end of the batter pack you have the spring, on the other the little tab the cells "-" sits on. Rather than putting the recharge in its normal spot.
Would this even work? It seems to me that it would complete all the wiring for the recharge port and save a little room. The best use I could say for this idea is when you have a 2 AAA battery pack in a chassis that you are building for a Graflex. So the port is exposes when you pull the pommel off .
Any thoughts?
Edit: Of course this is just a wandering idea would just be easier to do the regular recharge port after soldering wires to the battery.

Silver Serpent
09-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Could you do it? Yes. Should you do it? Probably not. The only reason I'd use the battery holders with li-ion is if I intended to charge them outside the hilt. If you're going to install the recharge port, you really should solder directly to the battery.

The springs in the battery holder don't always keep a good connection when you swing the saber around, and your saber has a tendency to reboot on hard swings. Or worse, the battery comes partway out of the holder and you get a short while recharging.

Recharge port OR battery holder. I highly advise you not use both.

Noyl Wendor
09-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Well it was just one of those funny idears I get sometimes. I am actually converting to Lit-ion anyhow. Battery size, runtime, bla bla bla :). They're good, still a little hesitant about soldering on those things. I like to look at the alternitives before jumping in. Every thing I have researched so far I can't say bad word one about Lit-ion, other than the soldering part. Guess I will just have to buckle down and do it.

thejedilestat
09-07-2011, 01:13 AM
you could still use the holder for the li-ion just remove the spring and tab from the holder do a little cuting and slide the li-ion in place and hott glue the battery inplace. that is what i did with my 2AA holder US 2.5 and single 3.7V Li-ion

Crystal Chambers
09-07-2011, 07:30 AM
I did the same thing with my Mantis saber. Half the holder is a Li Ion and the other has the PCB and port. I did gut the contacts from the holder and used the holes to feed the wires through. Worked great. Considering my limited experience and access to supplies and tools at the time. Now I prefer delrin sleds and chassis but creative use of what TCSS has to offer keeps things interesting and full of new challenges.