PDA

View Full Version : Invisas 2nd Sith Saber

Invisas1979
07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Hello saberland

Been a while since I posted something new on here, been real busy this year and lacked a bit of enthusiasm too. That has changed somewhat in the last week, so I thought I get started on a project which I initially intended to be part of the
TCSS comp.

What I have is BH 19, Ribbed/Grooved Ext, Two trim rings, 1.5in Ext and a Doub Fem Grooved without holes.

I also ordered some chassis parts and had some made. I really want to make a Slothfurnace style crystal chamber which is
proving harder than I thought.

So here's what I've got so far.

Saber parts all together, doesn't look like much or even a good combo of parts.

So I got started on the shroud I had in mind. Find I'm getting better with the dremel. Test fit with the BH in.

5539 5540 5541

Then I finished the cutting and did a bit of filing and a proper test fit

Invisas1979
07-29-2011, 09:03 AM
And how annoying, can only add 5 images per post. Apologies for the double posting.

So the test fit, this time with switch placement and I've finished two of three cut outs in the double female with grooves
(which need some work).

5545 5546

Still got some work to do on the shroud, needs rubbing down to rid it of some minor marks and then polishing.

So I had a little play with the design of the crystal chamber and have come up with a basic design.

Parts and Pics.

5547 5548 5549

More to come shortly.

Invisas1979
07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Ok tripple post here we go. Again not intentional but can't add any more pics in the last post.

So I had a play with the design. To hold the chassis in pace I knew I always wanted to attach a speaker holder to it. Initially I drilled and tapped the speaker holder, but this was not strong enough, so I put a bolt in and secured it to the radiator
rings.

Build pic and test fit.

5550 5551

My measurements were good and the centre piece, where the crystal will sit, is in the middle of the extension. Once I
have the main reveal slot done, the crystal chamber will be very much on show.

That's all for now. Apologies again for the triple post.

Silver Serpent
07-29-2011, 10:14 AM
It's amazing how much a good shroud will improve the base parts. You're using essentially the same MHS parts that I used on Palea Dei, but looks nothing like her. It's looking very nice, can't wait to see more pics.

Knighthammer
07-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Looking good - really like the chassis work. Are those just brass washers? (besides what looks to be Tims work as well).

Invisas1979
07-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Looking good - really like the chassis work. Are those just brass washers? (besides what looks to be Tims work as well).

I found a clock maker who sold brass blanks and had an 8mm hole drilled center so Tims chassis disc pattern could be drilled into them. Chassis is a fair way from finished though.

It's amazing how much a good shroud will improve the base parts. You're using essentially the same MHS parts that I used on Palea Dei, but looks nothing like her. It's looking very nice, can't wait to see more pics.

Yes, I completely agree. The sleeve material is the most versatile thing Tim sells. It's awesome stuff and far better than sink tube, though the brass of the sink tube is great if you have the patience to sand the chrome off.

Xanatos1986
07-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Simply amazing great job.

face palm
07-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Nice work. The shroud work is nothing short of brilliant and the chassis assembly with the speaker is pretty cleaver. Might jot down the idea for a future build of mine :cool:

Tarrell
07-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Great job so far, im really looking forward to seeing this all come together.

Elodin
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I have to agree with the sentement about the shroud. It makes all the difference! Its a cool design, I might have to play around with something similar in MHS Builder :-)

cannibal869
07-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Strong work! I think this would have gotten a good number of votes had you been able to finish it in time for the contest!

The only thing I would probably have thought about doing a little differently is using a slimmer box or modifying the switch box you have there. Maybe the low profile one? Just a suggestion

Invisas1979
07-31-2011, 02:53 AM
Strong work! I think this would have gotten a good number of votes had you been able to finish it in time for the contest!

The only thing I would probably have thought about doing a little differently is using a slimmer box or modifying the switch box you have there. Maybe the low profile one? Just a suggestion

Cheers man.

Yeah I get what you mean about the box but there is something more original trilogy about oversized switch boxes, that's why I went for it. Plus lt's size adds to the layering effect I'm trying to achieve with design.

Invisas1979
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Hello Saberland. I hope everyone had a good christmas and new year.

Been a while since I've posted anything up, so I've got a couple of progress pics to add; And because I've got a bit of time at the moment I'm going to be getting on with this saber.

So here we have the large viewing port which has been milled out of the Mara style grip section, you'll now have a clear view of the crystal chamber that will be housed in the grip.

And here we have the switch holes drilled through the MHS sleeve and ribbed section, along with the mounting holes for the switch box.

I have finally decided on a color scheme too. The blade holder, ribbed section, ext, switch box and pommel are going to be polished up and the shroud, trim rings and mara grip are going to be annodized in black. Led will be purple.

Invisas1979
04-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi All.

Been tinkering today and the crystal I found for the chamber solved the problem I was having with how to mount it. Here are some additional pics.

The wiring is giving me a pain in the butt, but I'm figureing it out.

rogue9607
04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Looks great! I've been tossing a ton of ideas around for a crystal chamber and I like how you did yours. What kind of crystal is it?

Invisas1979
04-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Looks great! I've been tossing a ton of ideas around for a crystal chamber and I like how you did yours. What kind of crystal is it?

It's a quartz crystal that wicker people use for scrying or something like that. It's been machined to points on both ends so it sits in the 8mm holes in my brass discs. Bit of a touch that was.

Invisas1979
04-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi All

Just another quick update. I've done some asthetic and functional work over the weekend. I drilled a hole through my chassis discs to allow a lenght of the hollow tube through, This I'm going to run my led wires down and back up under the crystal. I have a drilled 1in length of 8mm threaded bolt which will house the led and fix the chassis to the speaker sled. This is secured to the chassis by a couple of nuts which have been turned down to around 1.5mm

I also drilled and filed some holes into the front to make it look less like a bunch of discs. This was a pita without any kind of mill.

The crystal chamber is now basically complete, just some asthetic tweeks to go.

The whole thing now sits inside the grip section perfectly without any movement.

Hopefully not long to go now.

Ty_Bomber
04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
That crystal chamber is quality. Really like the shroud design as well. It bridges the two sagas in its appearance, which I love. Look forward to seein this all done.

Crystal Chambers
04-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Nice! The overlay looks great the way the angles wrap around. I haven't seen you do many builds but you always seem to put a lot into them which is awesome.

Jabbas_reluctant_slave
04-18-2012, 09:15 PM
It's a quartz crystal that wicker people use for scrying or something like that. It's been machined to points on both ends so it sits in the 8mm holes in my brass discs. Bit of a touch that was.
Wicker people, Oh man I didn't know they were real... I hope they dont find out about the furniture I have made from there family. It's just sitting out on my porch for any wicker person who walks by to see, I've been playing with fire and I didn't even know it... Beautiful saber by the way, love the layered disc look.