PDA

View Full Version : Making custom Boot sounds for your Crystal focus or Petite Crouton

cardcollector
07-23-2011, 05:35 PM
We all love custom boot sounds do we not? The boot sound on our CF, or PC saber often defines the personality of said weapon. However, many do not know where to start, or even how to work with sound files. This tutorial will walk you step by step in the creation of any boot sound you may desire from any DVD in the market, using public freeware on the internet.

Let’s begin.

Before you pull out your treasured copy of the Star Wars saga (yes, put it back), you will need to download two free programs.

1. DVDdecrypter. This is available at http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/ it is the best way to rip audio and DVD footage to your computer as the quality is the highest I have found.
2. Audacity. This free audio editor is http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ . It is easy to learn and to use, that’s why I like it.

Now, get the DVD of your choice. (In this case SW TPM) put it in your drive and open up DVDdecrypter.
When the program starts, you will see this.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yvt098I_ilY/TitmTf_A4cI/AAAAAAAAAzk/HBM8-_7pH08/s576/PC%252520boot%2525201.png
Now, go to settings…
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_HSN_P6FeYk/TitmSXUIMiI/AAAAAAAAAzY/bHrkKzLBK24/s576/boot%2525202.png

And open it up. Go to the IFO mode and select
- file splitting- none
- enable stream processing
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XMCcPVCPtGE/TitmSek4MsI/AAAAAAAAAzU/DWRFFLxDIZM/s576/boot%2525203.png

You can now go back to the home menu, and select the stream processing tab. Uncheck all the boxes, then recheck ONLY the x81 AC3 Audio file. Select your desired location of export… and Let er RIP! (click the big button that has the DVD>HardDrive pic on it.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-v1GWE_tjf7c/TitmSWiznYI/AAAAAAAAAzc/YzGMtZC9yrc/s576/boot%2525204.png

IT will take a while to rip… so go do something productive while you wait… Like take a nap.

When it is done, you will get a happy sound. Your file will be in the VOB format. Now, before you can open the VOB file, you will need to get the following download (copied from the Audacity forums)
---------

1. Download
Windows:
1. Download the FFmpeg 0.6.2 installer.
2. Double-click the .exe file to launch the installer.
3. Read the License and click Next, Next and Install to install the required files to "C:\Program Files\FFmpeg for Audacity" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)\FFmpeg for Audacity" on a 64-bit version of Windows).
 Alternative zip download for FFmpeg 0.6.2 - extract the contents to a folder called "FFmpeg_v0.6.2_for_Audacity_on_Windows" anywhere on your computer, then follow the instructions below to locate avformat-52.dll in the Libraries Preferences.
Mac:
1. Download the FFmpeg 0.6.2 installer.
2. When you have finished downloading, double-click the .dmg to mount it, then go to the Finder (in Safari, the "FFmpeg Libraries for Audacity" virtual disk image will be extracted and mounted automatically after downloading).
3. Double-click "FFmpeg Libraries for Audacity.pkg" to launch the standard OS X Installer.
4. Click through the steps in the Installer, accepting the defaults in all cases; this will install the FFmpeg libraries in /usr/local/lib/audacity.
 Alternative zip download for FFmpeg 0.6.2 - extract the contents to a folder called "FFmpeg_v0.6.2_for_Audacity_on_OSX" anywhere on your computer, then follow the instructions below to locate libavformat-52.dylib in the Libraries Preferences.
 Alternatively, you can build Audacity from SVN and link to a system copy of FFmpeg built from source, using these instructions.
Linux/Unix:
 You may download (or build) a suitable FFmpeg library for your own purposes. To build, obtain the source code from the FFmpeg project. If you download a pre-built library, this might be either a "shared" or "static" build. A static build consists of a single libavformat library, whereas a shared build has at least three libraries (libavformat, libavcodec and libavutil). It is recommended to use a shared build, but Audacity will also work with a static build.
If you compile Audacity from source code, it will link to the installed FFmpeg headers, which should always be compatible with an installed FFmpeg binary.
 Audacity 1.3.8 to 1.3.12 inclusive did not compile or work correctly with FFmpeg versions greater than 0.5. If you are not using the latest version of Audacity, please upgrade.
2. Installation
The first time you use FFmpeg to import or export, Audacity will ask you to configure Preferences to locate the FFmpeg library. To do this, click Edit > Preferences: Libraries and click the Locate... button, thenBrowse....
If the "FFmpeg Library Version" says "not found":
1. Click "Find Library".
2. If a "Success" message indicates Audacity has now automatically detected the library and asks if you want to detect them manually, click "No", then OK to close Preferences.
3. If the "Locate FFmpeg" dialog appears, click "Browse...".
4. Navigate to the avformat library, and select it. It may have different names, such as "avformat-52.dll" on Windows, "libavformat-52.dylib" on Mac or "libavformat.so.52" on Linux.
5. Click "Open" then "OK", and "OK" again to close Preferences.
"FFmpeg Library Version" should now show a number. If not, you may have installed the wrong libraries. Click the "Download" button to obtain the correct library for your operating system.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After you have done this, open up Audacity and go to file>Import>Raw Data. Choose the VOB. File you ripped, it should open up and look like this.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KbZ7xQVAUdo/TitmTJdI2xI/AAAAAAAAAzg/cSAlR-0SX8I/boot%2525205.png

Now these are all the different sound types on the disk. I like to export the entire thing to a Wav. File and choose sounds from there… so, go to File>Export> and choose the Wav. setting. Open it back up and you will find the file is one large piece of sound. Now the fun begins…

Using the Highlight tool, select any desired portion of the main wav file. After you have selected the piece, Copy the selected portion (Ctrl-C), open another Audacity window, and paste the selected piece into the work area.

With this selected piece you can start to play around with audacity’s features. Increase the volume… add some fade In/Out effects… whatever you like to make the boot sound the best you can make it.

Now, You are almost done, BUT IF YOU DON’T DO THIS NEXT STEP YOUR FILE WON’T WORK!!!
So here is what you do.
On the left side of your clip you will see a little box.
Click the Pull down tab at the top, then go to ”Set Sample Rate”>”16 bit”.
Then go to the same pull down tab and go to “Set Rate”> 22050htz.

Now, export the file as a Wav format.

Congratulations! You now have a Soundfile that will play on your CF and PC!

Now, to add it to your SD card…
Simply copy the file and paste it (I usually paste in my desktop), Rename the copied file “boot.wav”. Insert you SD card, delete the boot file from the card (I recommend you back the file up first. ;) ) and move your “boot.wav” file on to the card.

Plug it in to your CF or PC and Enjoy your boot sounds.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. It took a very long time to make, so I ask you make sure and read the entire thing through before asking any questions.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Awesome tutorial...thanks very much for this.

thejedilestat
07-23-2011, 07:07 PM
:) good to know

Loachri MacTalabh
07-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Great Tutorial...but can you separate the audio sounds? Say, vocals, battle sounds and music? If so what program would that be?

cardcollector
07-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Great Tutorial...but can you separate the audio sounds? Say, vocals, battle sounds and music? If so what program would that be?

That pic I have in audacity is just that. The multiple sound files before being merged into one. If you isolated one track, you would have soundtrack, vocal, etc...

Loachri MacTalabh
07-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Got it! I downloaded audacity quite awhile ago. I just have never used it.

Thanks CC

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
07-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Great tutorial for my upcoming saber! thanks!

Jedi-Loreen
07-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Good tutorial.

Ima Sticky it. ;)

Skottsaber
09-14-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm getting a dialogue box when I try to import the data in audacity, which is asking me to specify the encoding, sampling rate etc.
Are there specific values for these or am I doing something wrong?

Zzan
09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Did you install FFmpeg?
And when you used DVD Decrypt did you uncheck all streams except 0x81 AC3?

When you click Open file in Audacity and browse to your directory where you have your .vob files and select one and say open it should say importing FFmpeg-compatible files take a min or so depending on the size of the VOB and then open up like in his picture above.

Skottsaber
09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Ahh awesome. I was going to Import Raw Data instead of open.

IndustrialAction
09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Something isn't working right for me. I've used a different process in the past that rips it to a file instead of an IFO and then that gets converted to an AC3 and then on to a WAV (cumbersome) so I figured I'd give this a shot.

Followed the instructions to the letter and I can't import it and it won't open. When I try to import the raw data I get the same thing Skott saw (yes, FFmpeg is installed and I did locate the library properly). I'm in WIN7, any thoughts on what the problem is? Skott, how did you get around it?

Skottsaber
09-15-2011, 12:52 AM
I was going file>open which went automatically into ffmpeg.
The only problem is it didn't split up all the audio layers, it was in stereo.

IndustrialAction
09-15-2011, 06:15 AM
So it didn't split up like the tutorial shows? Has anyone tried this all the way through following the original instructions and gotten the same results?

I messed with it again this morning and still nothing. It gives me a warning that the raw data needs to be imported and when I do that, it gives me a long file of static.

Zzan
09-15-2011, 07:10 AM
it doesn't split up into voice, music, whatever.

It splits into Channels.

If you are following the instructions you will only have 2 channels, left and right.
If you choose to deviate from the instructions and say do 0x80 instead of 0x81 you will have 6 channels (5.1). Basically this is what comes from each speaker when you are watching the movie, 1 stream per speaker. 1 is center, 1 is right front, 1 is left front, 1 is surround 1, 1 is surround 2, 1 is subwoofer. So if you have a surround sound system and you hear something out of your back left speaker during chapter 29 of the movie that you would like to sample then use 0x80 rip chapter 29 and then import audio. Make sure you uncheck the other streams in stream management.

I also have had no luck using import -> Raw. But File -> Open, or Import -> Audio work fine.

Once it is imported into Audacity hit the mute button on all channels and then unmute one of them and hit play. If you don't hear the sound you want then mute that channel and unmute another until you find it.

For most sounds the 2ch description in the instructions is simpler and much less work/hassle.

Once you have isolated what you want make sure you save it with the proper parameters or your card won't be able to read it. The default of the DVD is likely much higher than what the card needs.

IndustrialAction
09-15-2011, 11:04 AM
With this being "stickied" has anyone tested the process and gotten the same results??

Lord Dottore Matto
09-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Also, just FYI J-Lo...It is Petit Crouton, not Petite Crouton...(yes, yes I know but that is it's name ;) )

IndustrialAction
09-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Has anyone followed this tutorial and gotten the same results? If not, does it warrant being "stickied"?

Skottsaber
09-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Also, just FYI J-Lo...It is Petit Crouton, not Petite Crouton...(yes, yes I know but that is it's name ;) )

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1567589/Pictures/J-Lo/J-Lod_230x289.jpg

:p

Darth Magnus.
09-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Ok you guys have almost got me convinced. Im thinking of getting a Petit crouton. Ive currently got a Obsidian but am not totally impressed. how much better is the petit crouton?

Skottsaber
09-21-2011, 03:30 AM
Well for starters it has an LED driver...

Darth Magnus.
09-21-2011, 04:14 AM
haha yeah but not for anything big, by big i mean 20w+
but yes good point.

cardcollector
09-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Ok you guys have almost got me convinced. Im thinking of getting a Petit crouton. Ive currently got a Obsidian but am not totally impressed. how much better is the petit crouton?

You need to start another thread for this. (in which I will be glad to help ya out in comparisons) It deviates just a little much from the topic of making boot sounds....

Darth Magnus.
09-21-2011, 06:29 AM
sorry. if you want i will remove my posts.

cardcollector
09-21-2011, 12:47 PM
A mod will do that if they deem it appropriate.

No worries. :)

IndustrialAction
09-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Ok, so I've been messing around with things and still couldn't get it to work. I decided to do some research and I figured out a way that will get what we need for those of us that aren't having any luck with the tutorial.

The main thing is that you do still need both DVD Decypter and Audacity with the FFMpeg plug-in. Here are the differences...

1. Download and install AC3 Filter here: http://ac3filter.net/wiki/Projects/ac3filter
2. Rip only the audio channel to your IFO using the settings in the tutorial but choose "Demux" instead of "Direct Stream Copy"
3. If you've properly installed AC3 Filter, Audacity and the FFMpeg program, you should be able to browse out to the AC3 file created by DVD Decrypter. The file should be something like this: VTS_04_1 - 0x81 - Audio - AC3 - 2ch - 48kHz - DRC - English - DELAY 0ms.AC
4. Go to File>Open in Audacity and open the file, it should give you a message box like this...
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/IndustrialAction/th_Import.png (http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/IndustrialAction/Import.png)
5. The file you open will be in stereo and probably sampled at 48,000Hz. This won't work for our needs. First, go to Tracks>Stereo to Mono (and let it run)
6. Next, go to Tracks>Resample - choose "22050" (and let it run)
7. When you're done you should have your entire movie in one large file in mono and 22,050Hz. This is what we need to work with. To finalize the file, go to File>Export (DO NOT CLICK "SAVE AS"!) and make sure the file type is "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16bit PCM"
8. Now the entire movie has been exported to a fresh 16bit signed WAV file with one channel set to 22,050Hz. Any work you do from this point on should be done with this as your base file. If you cut snipets (see Plecter Labs for more info) just export the "new" sounds the same way we did for the entire movie. They can then be renamed as appropriate for the board you're using the the type of sound you have (i.e. poweron.wav).
9. ENJOY!

joshsummey
09-23-2011, 05:16 PM
That works any idea how to separate the movie sounds from the commentary, it got transfered also?

IndustrialAction
09-23-2011, 06:55 PM
You must have picked the wrong track when setting up DVD Decrypter. In this case, my rip looked like this...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/IndustrialAction/th_ESBrip.png (http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/IndustrialAction/ESBrip.png)

joshsummey
09-24-2011, 04:23 AM
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b479/joshsummey/6dc5725f.jpg
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b479/joshsummey/a5c2d137.jpg

This is what mine look like. Do I pick 81 or 83 I want the English sound? Why is it different?
Also is there a program to decode the movies from a bit torrent file?

Zzan
09-24-2011, 07:16 AM
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b479/joshsummey/6dc5725f.jpg
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b479/joshsummey/a5c2d137.jpg

This is what mine look like. Do I pick 81 or 83 I want the English sound? Why is it different?
Also is there a program to decode the movies from a bit torrent file?

Pick the stream that has what you want in it. Maybe you have a DVD that is encoded for a different region or something and that is why spanish is the 0x81 stream.

Bittorrent rips will probably be significantly lower quality than a real DVD. Impossible to answer your question as we have no idea how it was re-encoded after it was ripped. You can probably do it with Audacity but you won't have all the options that you have with a real DVD as the unwanted stuff that was taking up space was removed when whoever ripped it did what they did.

Zzan

IndustrialAction
09-24-2011, 07:08 PM
In that case use 83. Make sure you double click the name once you check mark it. That will change the other box to match stream 83. Just a weird quirk in DVD Decrypter. I wouldn't use a bit torrent file. You never know what you're putting on your computer with those. At least when you're using your own DVD you know what you're working with.

JediRebel
05-06-2013, 04:37 AM
Anyone use this process for the Nano Biscotte?

Silver Serpent
05-06-2013, 04:49 AM
It'll work just fine with any of the Plecter Labs sound boards. Nano Biscotte, Petit Crouton, Crystal Focus. If you can build a sound file or sound font for one, you can build one for all of them.

Weaver
05-06-2013, 05:46 AM
I have a somewhat different problem. In the original tutorial, it requests that I "go to the Stream Processing tab". Trouble is...there isn't one. It literally is not there. I must have a different version of the program.

Help?

Silver Serpent
05-06-2013, 06:46 AM
Well, it's been two years since this tutorial was created. I'm certain the program has had a few updates since then. Poke around a bit and you should be able to figure out something.

If not, you can always exploit the analog hole. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3452165&clickid=prod_cs Connect the audio outputs of your DVD player to the line-in jack on your computer, skip around on the DVD until you find the sections you want, and use your recording program of choice to record the desired sound bits.

Weaver
05-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Got it. Had to select IFO from one of the dropdown menus. Thanks for the assistance.

EDIT: One more question. At last count, the Igniter cannot handle files processed by Audacity because Audacity adds some junk data to the beginning of each file. Is there a way to "shut that off", or is it just something inherent to the program?

Silver Serpent
05-06-2013, 10:19 AM
I use Audacity quite a bit, though I was unaware of the Igniter incompatibility issue. There are a ton of methods for Audacity to save a file, and that's one of it's greatest strengths. Also a weakness, if you save your file in a manner that Igniter doesn't like. I'm not sure about the "junk data" or if there's a way to turn it off. If you are comfortable working with Audacity, then you could always do your work with it, and then open and re-save your audio files with a different program to eliminate the "junk data" problem.

If you're not currently attached to Audacity, you could also just switch programs to another audio editor.

Weaver
05-06-2013, 11:14 AM
New problem. avformat-52 does not exist. Running FFMpeg does not fix the problem in any way. Audacity refuses to locate the library; just asks me to manually locate a file that a computer-wide search fails to turn up. This is becoming an exercise in futility.

Sevinzol
05-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Maybe this will help.
I searched on the Audacity FAQ page for "avformat-52" and found it about 2/3 of the way down the page in the section heading:

How do I download and install the FFmpeg Import/Export Library?

Maybe you version of FFMpeg is missing it
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Installation_and_Plug-Ins

Weaver
05-06-2013, 02:12 PM
All this does is repeat the steps I've already taken. That file is just...gone. Can I download the file itself, or is there some weird installation rule?

EDIT: Downloaded the file manually, still doesn't work at all. It just keeps saying "not found" over and over, no matter what I do.

If I open the ripped DVD anyway, I just get one huge file of nothing but incomprehensible noise.

Renaissance Jedi
10-02-2013, 07:06 PM
I did not use sounds from a DVD, so I didn't use DVD Decrypter. I used sounds I already had that were in WAV format. I imported them to Audacity, I changed the sample format to 16 bit and I changed the rate to 22050 just as advised, and the sound was completely changed. The sounds didn't sound like they should anymore. When I originally mixed the sounds in Audacity, I didn't change the format or the rate. I really don't want to have to rerecord all of my sounds and then re-mix them. What am I doing wrong and/ or is there a way around this.

Silver Serpent
10-02-2013, 07:30 PM
In my version of Audacity, there is a button in the lower left corner labeled "Project Rate" and it shows your sample rate. Click it and change to 22050 after loading your sound files, then re-save them. That should fix the issue.

Renaissance Jedi
10-02-2013, 08:09 PM
In my version of Audacity, there is a button in the lower left corner labeled "Project Rate" and it shows your sample rate. Click it and change to 22050 after loading your sound files, then re-save them. That should fix the issue.
And this will allow these to be used on a Petit Crouton?

Silver Serpent
10-03-2013, 05:53 AM
It'll keep the sound from going all crazy like you described.

Renaissance Jedi
10-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks Silver Serpent

Darth Kenobi
12-31-2013, 02:18 PM
With this you could make a soundfont with movie sounds right? If you were would it be illegal if you aren't selling the font or putting it up for download? How do you take off the music I didn't quite get how you do that.