PDA

View Full Version : Lithium Batteries, Battery holder, kill switch?

Marco
07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey I have just a quick question for that I cant find the answer in here...

Is it possible to setup the pc-soundboard with a recharge port and all but without a batterypack like just with the batteries in a battery holder and still charge the batteries, or will the battery holder be harmed or do any harm? (Because I actually dont consider my wiring skills good enough to build a batterypack myself since I heard the lithiums are likely to explode and I actually prefer a battery holder anyway...)

Futhermore I was wondering if its possible to wire in a kill switch instead of a recharge port/kill key, if so what kind of switch is needed, I thought about a latching... (Does it have to be wired in hust like a recharge port so that I can use the common wiring diagrams?)

Thanks in advance for any answers to my question!

Marco :)

KuroChou
07-19-2011, 08:40 PM
any latching, toggle, or slider switch can be used as a kill switch by using it to interrupt either of the wires coming from the battery pack/holder.

Marco
07-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the quick answer any info on my first q concerning a battery holder setup instead of a batterypack?

Silver Serpent
07-20-2011, 04:31 AM
If you're putting them in a battery holder, you'd be better off removing the batteries than charging them in-hilt. If they're not seated perfectly in the pack, you may run into issues while charging.

However, I'd definitely recommend making your own pack. A little Google-fu should find a battery supplier that has Li-Ions with solder tabs. Solder tabs give you a wonderful place to attach wires to the batteries without worrying about explosions. I HIGHLY recommend them, at least until you're more comfortable with your soldering skills.

Sunrider
07-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Yep, make a pack. Better in many ways. ;)

Jedi Mynock
07-20-2011, 06:22 AM
yep. you need a PCB to control balance between cells. a holder wouldnt really allow that. i mean you could, but... yeah just build a pack.

also i agree with Silver Serpent. get cells with tabs. i cant tell you how hard i was sweating trying to solder an 18650 trustfire with my n00bish soldering skill. felt like i was disarming a bomb! :shock:
dont let me scare you though. read some tutorials here and there, you will be fine.

Marco
07-21-2011, 06:35 AM
"i cant tell you how hard i was sweating trying to solder an 18650 trustfire with my n00bish soldering skill."

HAHA thats exactly what I am worried about :D

Skottsaber
07-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Battery holders are notorious for cutting out with a hard swing or hit during use. Cutting power to your soundboard like that isn't good at all.
Battery packs don't run into that issue ;)

bk_renesis
07-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Battery holders are notorious for cutting out with a hard swing or hit during use. Cutting power to your soundboard like that isn't good at all.
Battery packs don't run into that issue ;)

That is the most annoying thing, "swing, hum, swing, clash, silence, boot sound...".

I have in hilt li-ion recharging in all my sabers. Remember building a saber is a learning process, and if you don't tackle these issues and implement the proven solutions, you will never progress.

Plus having to open up your saber each time to remove batteries has it's own set of problems such as twisting/breaking wires.

Marco
08-14-2011, 09:22 AM
thanks but I guess an other option could be just to buy premade packs.

Tim should sell them on the shop page... That would be awesome and I guess there is a certaintly a demand for them... ;)

Sunrider
08-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Dude, you're not supposed to link to other stores like that. Read the rules. :rolleyes:

Marco
08-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Oh Im so sorry I didnt know that but its not like I wanted to advertise anything...

Im sorry though!