PDA

View Full Version : What are my options and which is better?

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
07-10-2011, 05:47 AM
So, I've finally convinced my parents to let me build my first saber. Ahh the curses of being young. However, I know I'm going to want sound in my saber. Unfortuneately, CF and US are really not an option. Unless US is really cheap, I'm looking at Economy... but what else is there that I can afford under $100? And if Economy is my only option, which one is best?

mps
07-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Master Replica sound boards are always a good option. And usually around $50 or so. And very straight forward to wire up.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
07-10-2011, 10:54 AM
And where would I get one of those?

Loachri MacTalabh
07-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Any number of places. I took 2 seconds and found at least 6 different vendors. My secret,,,,,,,Google. You should try it.

cardcollector
07-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I would go with a economy board, and a sinktube saber. You get get a decent saber that way for $80-$120...
All the sintkube sabers I have made were in that price range. You should check em out. ;)

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
07-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I would go with a economy board, and a sinktube saber. You get get a decent saber that way for $80-$120...
All the sintkube sabers I have made were in that price range. You should check em out. ;) I appreciate the input, but I have this sick MHS saber lined up in the same price range that I have my heart set on for my first saber... but next time, I'll do exactly that! But which Economy board?

hebert466
07-11-2011, 03:01 AM
hasbro...

cardcollector
07-11-2011, 04:25 AM
I appreciate the input, but I have this sick MHS saber lined up in the same price range that I have my heart set on for my first saber... but next time, I'll do exactly that! But which Economy board?

That's cool, would you post a render for us?

I was talking about the hasbro board you can buy for $20.

Jedi-Loreen
07-11-2011, 07:13 AM
So, I've finally convinced my parents to let me build my first saber. Ahh the curses of being young. However, I know I'm going to want sound in my saber. Unfortuneately, CF and US are really not an option. Unless US is really cheap, I'm looking at Economy... but what else is there that I can afford under $100? And if Economy is my only option, which one is best?
You have been away for a while. UltraSound boards haven't been produced for sale by UltraSabers for over a year. And those board were around $120.

Wong Yoon Wei
07-11-2011, 07:54 AM
I thought we are not supposed to recommend other soundboards since TCSS is actually selling one? Regardless I think you should shell out 25 USD more and get a PC instead. Most likely will be the only soundboard you ever need.

Silver Serpent
07-11-2011, 08:15 AM
We can (and do) recommend lots of things not sold in the store. LedEngin and CREE LEDs for example. We just don't provide links to purchase them.

Yes, the PC is an awesome sound board, but if it's not in the budget, there are plenty of viable alternatives. The econo hasbro board is not a bad choice to start with. Look for the ones that come with a mini-dvd. The obi-wan is the easiest to install as it is narrower than the vader/anakin.

Link to appropriate thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial

Wong Yoon Wei
07-11-2011, 08:59 AM
We can (and do) recommend lots of things not sold in the store. LedEngin and CREE LEDs for example. We just don't provide links to purchase them.

Yes, the PC is an awesome sound board, but if it's not in the budget, there are plenty of viable alternatives. The econo hasbro board is not a bad choice to start with. Look for the ones that come with a mini-dvd. The obi-wan is the easiest to install as it is narrower than the vader/anakin.

Link to appropriate thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial

Glad to know that because a month back I was asking if I could talk about the new ultra soundboard in chat and there were members telling me they don't talk about other people stuff here. I take that as a sign that talking about a competing product is disrespectful.

Turns out some members are just overly cautious I guess.

Jedi-Loreen
07-11-2011, 09:31 AM
If someone needs an less expensive option than the PC, there's nothing wrong with suggesting the Hasbro "econo" board. It's not in direct competition with the Petit Crouton.

Loachri MacTalabh
07-11-2011, 09:55 AM
If someone needs an less expensive option than the PC, there's nothing wrong with suggesting the Hasbro "econo" board. It's not in direct competition with the Petit Crouton.

Ok. ;) A great frugal board is the Hasbro Economy Board. All have close to the same sounds. The boards are different sizes, the Obi is a great size to put on top a battery pack.

Here are a couple good tutorial on the wiring.
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?12804-Hasbro-Economy-Board-quot-Rewire-Tutorial-quot

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
07-11-2011, 10:26 AM
You have been away for a while. UltraSound boards haven't been produced for sale by UltraSabers for over a year. And those board were around $120. WOOOW do I feel noobish now! Well, thanks
J-Lo for saving my butt yet again!

Jedi Mynock
07-12-2011, 09:22 AM
yeah, go with the hasbro cheap saber. peel it apart and its really easy to wire that card. the link from Loarchi up there is all you need!
i finally got one to replace an older hasbro soundboard in my first MHS, and its WAY better. just below an FX board in my opinion.
and while you are ordering form TCSS, i would recommend ordering some swing/clash sensors to replace the hasbro versions. save room and makes a bit more accurate/sensative.
good luck and make sure you post up anything in the A to Z build thread for help along the way!

Jedi-Loreen
07-12-2011, 09:25 AM
good luck and make sure you post up anything in the A to Z build thread for help along the way!
Only if it's a thread about the entire saber build, and not just the sound board. ;)

dgdve
07-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Since you said you have an MHS saber picked out Im assuming your budget is higher then $100 (since you want sound) Im going to assume your "electronics" budget is $100.. if that is wrong disregard the rest

IF your budget is $100 you should get an old MR/Hfx soundboard (try evilbay).. usually araound $50 (plus shipping)

Spend the other $50 wisely (but you should be ok).. you just need a
- Cheap switch (BE SURE to get latching or momentary depending on the boards needs)
- Premium Speaker (get the speaker holder too)
- Resistor (depending on your Main LED you may not need this)
- Battery solution (can be as cheap as just an AAA battery holder)
- Main LED (pick a color any color!)

About the Econo:
The Econo board costs about $25 (once wired with the tip42 and you replace BOTH sensors) and is a LOUD clean soundboard (if you rewire it, give it the premium speaker, and new sensors).. so thats the main consideration.. Now others can chime in (as Ive been pretty busy and offline) but IF Skott truely has defeated the flashing power up/down thing with these boards the Econo board is a pretty even match with its more expensive MR/Hfx counterparts that could save you some money and allow you to get ALL your electronic parts (and shipping) under $100...

I hope this helps, alternately IF your entire build budget is around $100 I really think you should go the sinktube route (Hey dont dog it.. all we had back in the day was the sink tube and Ive seen AMAZING things done here with them).. check the gallery for all your inspirational needs and keep us posted on your progress!
~dgdve

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
07-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Cool cool