PDA

View Full Version : SPDP Illuminated latching switch for PC-U questions

DJ4428
07-04-2011, 09:29 PM
I meant DPDT

Nearly finished hilt and have all my supplies ready to go on my first saber build in over a decade. Obviously technology has advanced and I'm pretty much starting fresh again. Last thing I am waiting on is the PC-U I ordered this weekend. I've read the manual countless times and am getting very close to mapping out my game plan and installing electronics on saber. I am having trouble understanding how to wire this switch. When I look at the 8 prong diagram and then at my button here, I understand that the top is the LED+, and the bottom is LED-. I have no problem on deciding where to wire and how to calculate the proper resistor.

My problem is the 6 prongs in the middle is confusing to me no matter how many searches and builds I look through. This is my main switch, so the positive will go to the main LED pad on the board. Then the ground to the 3rd pad next to the Aux pad.

My problem is while there's a diagram on the order page, it's not extremely easy to understand.

Funny thing is I am pretty set on where I am wiring and soldering for the entire project and have everything I need, not to mention pretty understanding of where to place everything in the hilt and then how to change values and bring saber to the most best state I can achieve.

For a week now I've been reluctant to post this but I'm out of options and need a little hand holding. I would of been fine with switching to a simple momentary button I have here to use at my main button and save this till I had a better understanding, but the problem with that is the hilt is nearly finished and the control box 5 is drilled for this illuminated latching button.

If someone could help me that would be great. Every time I search it I always leave the thread still confused. Not to mention when I mentioned it to the guy at radio shack he totally tried to make me feel like an idiot.

Thanks so much in advance. I have no one local to help me out so I'm at this alone.

DJ

cooky069
07-04-2011, 10:46 PM
not used one myself, iv been using the spst ones much simpler, if your having trouble with the diagram try using a multimeter set on continuity to find the normally open and normally closed contacts noting the switch position as you go,use the two that suit your needs best, its not hard trial and error my friend you will get it

Azmaria Dei
07-04-2011, 11:12 PM
if i understand correctly, you need the DPDT switches explained to you? very well then.

there are essentially 3 circuits in these switches. 2 switches and an LED. the LED is just that - an LED - treat it like you would any other LED. then the 2 switches on either side - they're completely separate in every way. each one has 3 connectors. Common (C), Normally Open (NO), and Normally Closed (NC). then they're numbered for which side thye're on - 1 or 2. C is the common pole - you will ALWAYS wire to this one. NO is used when you want the switch to be off and nothing to pass through it with the switch in it's normal position, and for it to make contact and lett power pass through it when in the actuated position. NC is used for the opposite effect - constant on in the normal position and off in the actuated position. the switch side 1 is labeled on the side and the switch side 2 is identical.

make sense?

DJ4428
07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Perfect sense thank you. So I am really only needing one side. I knew the LED was completely separate.

I can probably use one of the accent LED pads with a resister for the LED since I am only using a single accent LED anyway.

I understand everything more and more daily. Some people suggested I start from the beginning with a simple LED stunt saber but that's not the type of person I am. I wanted a PC and the original plan was to have a local saber smith install it but money started running out eventually after supplies ran me more than I thought. So I committed to doing it myself and feel better off that way because I am very close to ready. Jut waiting on PC-U.

Thanks again
DJ

Azmaria Dei
07-05-2011, 08:13 PM
no worries. good luck, have fun, and practice plenty before putting iron to PC. even if you're good at soldering now - please confirm your skills.

Az