PDA

View Full Version : Razgriz22's first saber part list.

razgriz22
06-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Here goes my first attempt at building a TCSS Saber. My part list is as follows...

* 2 of: MHS choke style 3
* 1 of: MPS Pommel style 8
* 1 of: MPS Clip
* 1 of: MPS Insert style 11
* 1 of: Screw on LED blade holder style 9
* 1 of: 3" Double female threaded connector
* 1 of: Gold Plated Momentary Switch
* 1 of: 4AAA battery holder
* 1 of: 26 gauge wire (Black)
* 1 of: 26 gauge wire (Red)
* 1 of: 4.7ohm 5w resistor
* 1 of: 1/8" Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing
* 1 of: Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
* 1 of: Seoul P4 Lens Holder
* 1 of: Seoul P4 (Red)
* 1 of: Tap handle
* 1 of: Shouldered 1" thick walled blade tip with reflective disc
* 1 of: 1" Thick walled Polycarbonate 40" long
I have a retention screw and drill bits and tap as well.

I intend on it being a versatile blade. One handed, invert, or two handed. It's 11 inches.
It looks kind of simple here but thats what I intended to do with it being my first blade. If everything goes smoothly, I may add a shroud or some form of rubber grip. But if it feels good already why do anything more right? Oh and I am putting the switch in the pommel. We'll see how that goes over. Anyway, I'm very excited for my parts :) and to be a new member to this awesome community.

Loachri MacTalabh
06-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I suggest you go with a 4" Double female threaded connector. By my calculations, if you put your switch in the 3" connector, your battery box will not fit.

3" - an inch for the threads = 2"
The switch is 16mm or ( 0.6299") wide
The battery box is 53mm or (2.087")
that means you need 0.7169" more room

Going with the 4" connector will give you 0.2831" to play with.

Do the math;) Good luck!

razgriz22
06-18-2011, 09:09 AM
This is very true. But this is why my switch is in the pummel. I stupidly said "oh im putting my switch in the hilt" well duh, where else could the switch go haha. I meant to say its going in the pummel leaving all the room in the extension for the aaa battery pack. I think ima go back and edit that part :)

Loachri MacTalabh
06-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Well all is good then.;)

Can't wate to see your saber!

amwolf
06-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I like the design in general; however with the switch in the pommel, it's your intention to unscrew the blade holder, disconnect the LED, unscrew the choke and then have access to the batteries? Can certainly be done that way, but seems a bit involved. Why not consider making a battery pack and get the recharge hole service (keeping the hole towards one end of a 4" DF)? Don't forget to recalculate the resistor if you do...

razgriz22
06-18-2011, 01:38 PM
I never really thought about that.... hmm. I figured i'd run into a few problems and then learn from it and overcome them. Maybe leave enough slack in the wires to unscrew the extension from the choke and then have access to the batteries? It'll be more clear when i hace all of the parts in front of me. Or I should just find batteries that never die. I think i'll start looking.

Skottsaber
06-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Or I should just find batteries that never die. I think i'll start looking.

If you do then please share some of the millions that you make :D

cardcollector
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
FYI; It is "Pommel" not "Pummel" :razz:
Pummel is something you do when you are beating someone up.
Pommel is the lower portion of a saber hilt.

Crystal Chambers
06-24-2011, 06:34 AM
FYI; It is "Pommel" not "Pummel" :razz:
Pummel is something you do when you are beating someone up.
Pommel is the lower portion of a saber hilt.
I used to mix that up too thinking I could pummel someone with a pommel.

Silver Serpent
06-24-2011, 06:47 AM
You can pummel someone with a pommel. You just can't pommel them with a pummel.

razgriz22
07-06-2011, 07:00 PM
So update time. Guess I should have done a little more research on the difference between a momentary switch and a latching switch. It is almost pathetic how you can almost tell by the names of the switches. But some reviews made me think it would work for some reason. IDK. Also my 3 inch extension is about 2 mm too short for my batteries and wires. So I had to order my 4 inch extension and a new switch today. Lightsabers are supposed to be fun darnit!

Loachri MacTalabh
07-06-2011, 07:26 PM
:confused:Hmm... Didn't someone suggest you go with the 4" extension?
Oh yea, It was me.;)

Sorry you had to spend more money. On the bright side, You have a head start on youe next saber.

The link is a dictionary, it has good descriptions of parts and such.
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?6524-The-Saber-Building-Dictionary&highlight=Dictionary

razgriz22
07-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Hmm I sorta remember someone making that suggestion .... :-P. The MHS builder made the threads look shorter ten they were. And yea now I have 3 inch extension if I may need one. One other thing that I noticed is how dusty the inner blade is once it is lit. I got some of that reflective material for the core of the blade that maybe will help. Anyone else run into a dusty blade?

Loachri MacTalabh
07-07-2011, 10:13 AM
To build the perfect blade, Read this link;
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7274-How-to-construct-an-LED-Blade-(or-at-least-how-I-do-it)

To get the dust out of the blade, you can ether wash it out, or better yet blow it out with compressed air.