PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Arashi
06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
New to the forums and thought I would drop in and say hello.

I've been around the prop community off and on for years, was fairly active over on the RPF forums several years ago, then dropped out of the scene due to never having the money to be able to buy all the cool stuff I wanted.

Just happened across a mint condition Heiland flash at an antique store the other day and it rekindled my interest in lightsabers...a few web searches later I ran across this place. The lightsaber community sure has grown since I last looked into building one. The new generations of LED lit polycarbonate blades look fantastic, way better than the old plasma blades or early attempts at EL blades.

Now, I just need to decide if I want to attempt to build my own saber, buy a pre-made one from someplace like Ultrasabers or Vaders Vault, or buy one of the Mag-Lite adapters and make a Mag-Saber.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and getting a saber of my own (finally).

Arashi

Loachri MacTalabh
06-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Greetings Friend!:D Welcome to the forums. Some quick advice, read Read READ. The stickies are a good source of information, if you have a question, look there. If you can't find an answer, ask away.

Over all else have fun!

hebert466
06-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Tarrell
06-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Welcome to the fold.

jin starkiller
06-16-2011, 10:54 AM
welcome to the forum

cardcollector
06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Welcome.

I recommend you make yourself a saber. It is more difficult and more expensive, but the end result will be exactly what you desire. :cool:

Arashi
06-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Welcome.

I recommend you make yourself a saber. It is more difficult and more expensive, but the end result will be exactly what you desire. :cool:

I've been leaning towards either building one from the ground up or doing a Mag-Lite mod (can't top the battery life on a 3 D-cell Mag-LED)

I've had a saber design floating around in my head for years, but none of the MHS emitters or pommels look anything like what I have imagined, so I would have to fabricate the parts (which would be difficult with the tools I have access to) or have them custom made (which is probably out of my financial means)

Arashi

dgdve
06-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Welcome,

And yes BUILD it.. although Cardcollector is correct it IS slightly more expensive, IT is 110% more rewarding and your in control of the project so.. you wont be cutting some corners that maybe a company would cut (some of them ONLY care about bottom line NOT the quality in your saber).

Since your a forum regular (you said you were Rpf member) Ill skip the "read the stickies" talk.. and get to the good part...

This is your entry thread (for stupid questions or posting up any sketches or just stuff you cant seem to find a place for) Go on and post a sketch of what this "emitter" looks like.. A LOT can be done with different emitters and strong shroud work.. lets see it (then lets decide together what is and isnt possible with MHS) that will help TONS and push this unicorn saber one step close to "off paper.. and in hand!"

btw There is nothing wrong with buying a saber from a reputable company.. I will neither support nor dog the saber companies in public, BUT you can pm me for a very short list I'd (personally) steer away from... another basic rule is to never buy from a smith on evilbay on his 3rd acct... (the "saber darkside" is much stronger then you may be aware of) DONT let yourself get pulled in by a great looking "website".. do some backround on some of these guys (you'd pretty quickly see you get what you pay for.. cheap is.. most of the time just cheap)

The only way to ensure your unicorn saber turns out how you envision (unless you do the work) is to do some strong research.. but just being here is the first step so let me say again..

Welcome to TCSS, "the official" One stop Saber shop, (or as I like to say) Welcome to TCSS, The place where we build our own ;) (accepted tradition for the force sensitive, Jedi and Sith alike)

Arashi
06-19-2011, 10:20 AM
The saber I am picturing in my head would be more of a sith or dark side looking saber, claws and sharp angles, intimidating looking.

The idea I had for an emitter would be a 3 clawed emitter, similar to the Raven model Ultrasabers sells or the Ego/Double Helix from Parks Sabers, but with more of a bladed claw look. It may be possible to take one of the existing MHS emitters and drill/tap some attachment holes to add claws to them.

As for the pommel, I had envisioned a tetrahedron shaped pommel, something loosely based on the looks of the sith holocron Click Here (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_holocron)

The main body of the hilt I haven't really settled on a final style yet, I was probably going to do a leather wrapped grip section, but the buttons/etc on the upper half I am not sure about yet.

My dream saber would of course have all the bells and whistles, light, sound, in-hilt recharge, crystal chamber...my finances will probably limit my first saber to one of the econo Hasbro sound boards, but the rest of the electronics don't seem to be all that expensive.

I am fair at using a soldering iron, but my knowledge of electronics and wiring diagrams/etc is pretty limited. I saw a few pretty nice diagrams regarding the econo boards, which I think I understood reasonably well, though I am lost when it comes to choosing resistors, drivers, pucks, etc. I can basically put anything together with halfway decent instructions...I couldn't design a circuit to save my life though :)

I was an RPF member way back in the days when it was still on ezboards, I eventually drifted away because it was kind of depressing to see so much utterly cool stuff that I couldn't even come close to affording. My finances are in a little better shape now, and if things go well at my current job, they may take a dramatic turn for the better...and running into a mint condition Heiland flash at the antique store the other day brought all those dreams of owning my own lightsaber rushing back to me :)