PDA

View Full Version : RGB build, some pointers?

MetaDi
06-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I really really really......really want to make a RGB saber with the ability to either adjust straight from the hilt exterior or with an easy pop out and change ability. I been searching and such but i see no definitive guide...just pop ups of here and there of certin issues.

Anyone got a nice kind of lay out of parts list, a point of direction of everything i need, and pointers of things to watch for. Im not nessacarly new to all this its just o havent built a saber in 3+ yrs (economy anyone?)

Anyway any kinda help you gracious people could give id love you long time!

cannibal869
06-13-2011, 06:37 PM
I've been here for about that long too - perhaps one of the more elegant approaches I've seen to RGB and color switching IMHO is the Luke ROTJ RGB saber by Matt Thorn. I'm not gonna spoonfeed you the entire thing so you can do a search for his saber either here or on FX.

There are of course other ways to wire it up to achieve what you're looking for. One of the clunkier ways is to have separate latching switches for the red, green, blue, and white/amber dies. Not an elegant solution, but it works.

BTW, why would you need a "easy pop out and change ability" if you could change colors "on the fly" so to speak?

Silver Serpent
06-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Yes, Matt Thorn did a nice one using a 16 position rotary switch. I don't know if he posted a wiring diagram here or on FX-sabers, but it couldn't hurt to look.

I'm not sure of your skill level, but for probably the most simple solution you could use a white LED and swap out colored discs. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/12-Colored-Discs--P164.aspx

Using an RGB led with some method of switching colors (multi-position switch or whatnot) will give you brighter results than the color discs, though it'll take more effort to complete. Both are perfectly valid solutions, I'll leave it up to you to choose one :)