PDA

View Full Version : Final Design + Parts List

Machinimax
06-10-2011, 10:47 PM
What's new people? So I have finalized the design for my first saber and I am ready to start saving my Republic Credits so I can buy the parts. If you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at my list and making sure I have everything I need, that would be great. Also, I would appreciate any feedback on my design. Thanks everybody!

Note: I am ordering 1 of everything listed unless noted otherwise.

External Parts

Blade Holder Style 19
Choke Style 1 Short
7 inch Fluted Female Threaded Connector
Pommel Style 4
Activation Box Style 9
Nickel Plated Momentary Switch
Recharge Port
Convertec Clip and Button
Pommel Insert Style 1
Kill Switch

Internal Parts

Sound Board
Seoul P4 White LED
Seoul P4 Lens Holder
8.7 Deg. Lens
"New Style" Heat Sink
Thermal Tape Pad
Colored Disks
Li-Ion 14500 Rechargeable AA size 3.7V
2 AA Battery Holder
PCB for 7.2V battery pack
Speaker Mount V3
Heat Shrink
22 Gauge Wire
Speaker

Screws

Set Screw (Blade retention)
4-40 Button Head Screw (For Activation Box)
8-32 x 3/8" Socket Head Screw (For clip)

Services

Powder Coating Service
2x Drill and Tap Service (One for the retention screw, one for the clip)
Box Hole Service

Loachri MacTalabh
06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
First off, If you could be so kind as to remove that sound board from your list. It is not respectful to Tim to be posting other venders products on this forum. Remember, This forum is connected to the store that sells a perfectly good sound board.

Second, you are missing the MPS clip.

Third, If you don't already have one, you might want to get the 3.7V-14.8V Li-Ion Smart charger.

jin starkiller
06-11-2011, 01:27 AM
I believe when he says soundboard he is talking about the PC-L that Tim carries in the store even if not he didn't put a link

list looks good except for those 2 items already listed
and allen keys 4/40 and 8/32

Machinimax
06-11-2011, 07:07 AM
I believe when he says soundboard he is talking about the PC-L that Tim carries in the store even if not he didn't put a link

list looks good except for those 2 items already listed
and allen keys 4/40 and 8/32

Great! I actually have a set of allen keys that has those sizes.

Darth Xusia
06-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I see you have a 2xAA battery holder in your list. Are you planning on running 7.4V?
If so, you will need a resistor or a buckpuck with that "soundboard".
It does not regulate current.

Loachri MacTalabh
06-11-2011, 09:55 AM

If you take notice, he edited his post. He took out the name of the PCB.

Sidd
06-11-2011, 10:28 AM
If you take notice, he edited his post. He took out the name of the PCB.

Why does it matter if he uses a board that isnt sold at this store? are you saying we are not allowed to name other boards? The winner of the design contest didnt even use a PC-L board does that mean he should have be disqualified?

He just said he was using the board, not trying to sell them

cardcollector
06-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Sidd is correct. As long as there is no link or attempt to sell, any soundboard can be listed in your parts list.

The render looks good. Good luck on your build. :cool:

Sidd
06-11-2011, 11:35 AM
I like the design as well

one idea i had is , you move covertec knob to the other side it wont interfere with a two handed grip, if you are right hand dominant -

tachikoma1
06-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Looks pretty basic to me. But sometimes simpler is better. Personally, I think too many people get carried away with "bling" in their designs. Granted, what a lot of people want is something eye-catching or a display piece. But a real lightsaber would have none of that. Except for an arrogant Sith Lord or Dark Jedi. In keeping with the universe that lightsabers belong to, they are weapons used in heated life and death combat. They should be simple, rugged and able to withstand any environment. They will be dropped, stolen, abused, and hopefully retrieved by their rightful owner. God forbid your uber-polished brass and chrome overlays get scratched after a tumble down a rocky cliff into a gundark nest. I'm all for the functional with a bit of elegance in lightsaber designs. You can put something together that is a true labor of love and shines like the crown jewels. But keep that under a glass dome in your display case. A saber like this one looks like it will be used. It will most likely save your life on numerous occasions. This is a saber to keep on your belt at all times and sleep with under your pillow. Have fun with the hobby. Your parts list looks solid. If you are missing anything, you will find out and it will be simple to fix later. For now, it looks like you are off to a good start.