PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my design

Machinimax
06-07-2011, 05:53 PM
What's up everybody? So, after playing around with the MHS builder for a couple of weeks now, I've finally narrowed down the design I want for my first custom saber. The only thing still stumping me is what pommel to choose. So if you guys wouldn't mind telling me what you think of the design and which pommel looks better on it I'd appreciate it. Thanks alot!

Other info.

This is what I plan to make: Crystal Focus v5 saber with white P4 and yellow TCSS filter. The empty space between the choke and the grooves will have an Activation Box Style 2 where I can easily access the the on/off and aux. switches. I will have some powder coating done. I just need to decide where on the hilt I want it.

(null).exe
06-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Looks simple, but clean.

I would suggest using the angled pommel instead of the rounded one, fits the flow of the hilt better IMO.

Also, if you want, I would recommend looking into cutting yourself a custom shroud using the MHS Sleeve material on the store, it really bumps the looks of the hilt up a whole level, and isn't difficult to do with a Dremel and some small files (I got a set of Jeweler's Files at Harbor Freight for super cheap that work great on the aluminum sleeve material)

Great start!

captain_mills
06-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Agreed... I prefer the angled pommel as well... Will there be other details on this as well besides the activation box? Such as shroud work and such?

Tarrell
06-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Angeled deff looks better, hot tip; plan plan plan. make sure you have everything you need for your order, im up to my 4th order so far, hopefull my last for this build.

Tahm
06-08-2011, 01:27 AM
I like the round one best. Definitely get the fluted section powder coated (DFS2 IMO) don't know what color I'd recommend though, If you're going with a yellow blade, maybe a dark purple of chrome black. You might want to consider powder coating the the activation box too.

hebert466
06-08-2011, 03:30 AM
angeled one looks better...IMO.

jin starkiller
06-08-2011, 06:20 AM
angled pommel definetaly...go with that

Machinimax
06-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Agreed... I prefer the angled pommel as well... Will there be other details on this as well besides the activation box? Such as shroud work and such?

Yes there will but I haven't finalized all the details yet, just the basic design. I'm still deciding if I want any shrouds, sleeves, etc.

Angeled deff looks better, hot tip; plan plan plan. make sure you have everything you need for your order, im up to my 4th order so far, hopefull my last for this build.

Oh don't worry about that. I've got an Excel sheet that I'm using to catalog everything I want and how much it all costs. And thanks for your input!

Jedi-Loreen
06-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Please use the Multi-Quote button, it's right of the Reply With Quote button. That way, you won't have to double post to respond to different people's comments.

I'm going to merge your 2 posts together.

Crystal Chambers
06-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Yes there will but I haven't finalized all the details yet, just the basic design. I'm still deciding if I want any shrouds, sleeves, etc.

Oh don't worry about that. I've got an Excel sheet that I'm using to catalog everything I want and how much it all costs. And thanks for your input!

I think the more important thing is not really making sure you don't forget anything but that you're aware of what you'll need. That's what posting in the parts list thread is for. I agree on the angled pommel too since it goes well with the choke.

Please use the Multi-Quote button, it's right of the Reply With Quote button. That way, you won't have to double post to respond to different people's comments.

I'm going to merge your 2 posts together.

I learned something new today!

Skottsaber
06-09-2011, 06:29 AM
This is what I plan to make: Crystal Focus v5 saber with white P4 and yellow TCSS filter.

Rather mix an RGBA if you're going to use a CF, you want to do it right ;)
Oh that and you will be able to utilize FoC as well :cool:

dgdve
06-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Rather mix an RGBA if you're going to use a CF, you want to do it right ;)
Oh that and you will be able to utilize FoC as well :cool:

Ooooo Skott.. shouldnt you be showing off your new econo set up?

What he's saying is you'd be wasting the potential of the cfv by doing that, and what your really after can be achieved much much easier (look into the PC-L in store, 2 different soundfonts, go on get them both so you can switch on the fly).. cheaper, available, easy(easier) to wire.. not so bad if you screw up(wallet wise) as well as FULLY community supported product (I generally steer away from everything you CANT buy at tcss... cfv/FD stuff like that excluded).

One thing you need to do is set yourself a budget for your soundboard and interior (LED's or add ons)..

Here's an easy estimate..

- 2010 w/dvd Econo board set up($20) + recharge port set up(batteries and blah blah, $15) + p4 + yellow filter (or even better the Lee Filters which are FREE btw) = $50 (around) give or take

- MR/Hfx Soundboard(easy $50 by itself) + recharge port set up + p4 + filters = $80

- Petit Crouton- Locked ($135, with both fonts) + recharge port (basically mandatory at this level) + go on and get the RGBA to mix the proper yellow at this point ($30) = $180

- Crystal Focus v5 *On top of its UBER rarity you need to watch the exchange rate but before shipping lets just call it ($175, actually closer to $200 even on the cheapest shipping method).. and that doesnt include batteries... or px boards for FoC or even an LED, switches... nothing..

You may do as you like but I feel that your project would be better served if you keep your options open while keeping a feasible budget in mind, and sticking to it. I hope this helps and I look forward to this project, its going good and pretty cool so far
~dgdve