PDA

View Full Version : opinions please on new battery configuration.

infa008
06-02-2011, 02:29 AM
here linked is a new batterie that i think would benifit sabers to a degree, mainly for the low voltage led types. It appears to be just the right voltage with a high degree of mah and excellent cycle rate.

Its a Tenergy 26650P 3.2V 3000mAh LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery

it's roughly about 1.08 in. in diameter and about 2.5 inches long

here's the link, tell me what you think.

Skottsaber
06-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Please remove your link, TCSS does not allow the posting of links to buy items on this forum.

infa008
06-02-2011, 03:56 AM
sorry for the link, not trying to promote a place to buy batteries, just would like opinions on this type of power source.

so now the link is gone so if anyone would like to look up specs, find the link yourself and please offer your opinions

thats all i'm asking for.

Azmaria Dei
06-02-2011, 03:59 AM
the last time i looked at lithium polymer batteries they were rather unstable at higher draws... if you want to give it a shot, do so - but wear PPE and be careful just in case.

Silver Serpent
06-02-2011, 05:36 AM
Another issue with li-poly is that they are less tolerant of mishandling. We tend to generate a lot of impacts when we swing our lightsabers around. Damaging a li-poly cell is easier than a li-ion, and will cause fires (or worse) much more quickly with abuse. If you only intend to use your saber as a display model, it should not cause a problem.

Then again, we all know that even display models will be used for the occasional battle. It's too much fun, and it can't be prevented :)

Sunrider
06-02-2011, 08:22 AM
That size battery is really for very high currents. The smaller 18650 will give you the same amount of power.

infa008
06-03-2011, 03:47 PM
lifepo4s are advertized to be stable verses regular lipo's, and i thought 3000 mah would give a better run time, not to mention more recharges.

Sunrider
06-03-2011, 05:10 PM
There are 2900mah 18650s. Why more recharges?

Azmaria Dei
06-03-2011, 10:51 PM
lifepo4 are used in the iphone4 if i remember right... and i've seen plenty of them die, break, and outright shatter when dropped... that's not saying anything about the battery really, but i still have to wonder if the lack of power afterwards is more hardware or battery damage... either way, i'm not buying one to test that theory on. ^_~

Skottsaber
06-04-2011, 02:24 AM
either way, i'm not buying one to test that theory on. ^_~

*High five*
http://review.accessorygeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/anti-apple-logo2.jpg

dgdve
06-05-2011, 07:23 AM
To me.. instead of buying a different type of battery (IF your real concern is runtime or charges) just buy the same size Li-ion but a better brand (AW for instance makes awesome, although sometimes pricey batteries in the exact configurations that have been "community tested and approved").

That way your not buying a bunch of stuff to test that the others just arent willing to invest in (yet).

Alternately remember (and SR) will tell you.. not everyone was willing to test or retrofit a saber (and various heatsink/fan designs) to run that crazy ssr90 LED (read: death ray) that he used in his contest saber.

Search PRAXIS (thats his build and not many guys stood up when he said "hey guys lets try this") So I encourage independant study (but ask yourself if your ready for independant investment) it wasnt cheap or easy for SR to become the master of BRIGHT!!

I really hope this helps and doesnt put to much of a downer on your idea's... its the idea's that shape the future of this hobby (that being said) I still dont see the ssr(or the li-po) becoming industry standard (for quite some time if ever).. but did that stop SR??? Nope (but really ask him how much slower it is to go it nearly alone).

btw dont feel bad for SR since I singled him out.. I'm simply pointing to an innovator within our community (and his post was right there LOL)