PDA

View Full Version : My first saberbuild

keeth
05-28-2011, 05:47 AM
Hello all. I kinda jumped on this wagon recently, but I've done a lot of reading. I got myself some Ultrasabers, but I wanted to build my own too. I found a design I liked and went for it. Got my parts yesterday, and here's the hollow hilt:

http://baev.sharkbait.se/lightsaber/hilt01b.jpg

It's a pretty simple design but in my opinion very elegant.

So, what's left to do:
I need to drill a bigger hole for the on and off switch.
I was also planning on ripping out the Sunriders Destiny LED from my Ultrasaber Prophecy, I think that color will look really nice on this saber. Is it possible to use that LED or do I need to get a Seoul P4 (might go for blue if I have to go this way)?
I have a Yoda 2007 soundboard, will that work with the Sunriders LED?
Will 2xAAA batteries be enough for this setup, or do I need to go with 4, and then there's always the question if I need a resistor, and what size :)

I realize these are a lot of questions, but I haven't found anyone with the specific setup I was planning on using on the forums yet, sorry if I missed a thread and please point me the correct way if so :)

I'm really excited about this saber, and I want everything to be clear to me before I start to putting the electronics in it. Thanks for your time :)

/Tobias

brett
05-28-2011, 07:49 AM
A lot of questions, most of which are individually answered in various threads. Sorry I cannot be more specific, relatively new here myself,but I did want to say it is indeed a very elegant, sleek design. I really like it, and good luck on your first build. There are many skilled and very helpful people here I am hope can help.

Azmaria Dei
05-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Welcome and congrats!

As for your questions...
1 - i highly recommend you go through every stickied topic and read them - especially the ones about econo board wiring, one of which is linked in my sig.
2 - i don't keep up with any of the uh... ultrasabers stuff... but if the LED is mounted like i've seen pictures of, it's not coming out and will be hot glued in place. hopefully someone else can help you out on that one.
3 - you need to research your battery solutions a bit more, but off hand i would recommend using 3-4 NiMHs as your battery solution to start with. that'll give you 1.2V per cell and you'll likely need a resistor for the main LED.
4 - is your 2007 Yoda board from an MR/FX or cheapo plastic saber or something else? knowing that will tell us what the voltage limits will be on it.

Again, welcome to a wonderful hobby and i hope to see good things from you!

bk_renesis
05-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice clean saber... All I can say is:

To Azmaria listen you should...

My only suggestion if you have an mr/hasbro fx board would be to go 18650 li-ion with in hilt recharge, pololu board, momentary switch. You can use the search function to look these up.

Welcome to an awesome hobby and a wonderful journey.

keeth
05-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments,
I will to some more research and then come back if I have any more specific questions :)

Thanks
Tobias

dgdve
05-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Its not so much the research as the "terms" and definitions..

To know the voltage req's (and limits) of the soundboard you need to be more specific about it.. i.e. "its from a master reaplica/hasbro fx lightsaber"(the realistic meatal ones) OR its from a toy (here's a decent picture of the toy OR the soundboard). Please be more specific and your questions wont be so vague (no big deal)

You'll see most companies have cut some corners that we (or were you to do it for yourself) DEFINATELY would not do... electric tape.. hot glue.. unresitored led's... faulty soldering or just rats nest wiring.... PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN A WORKING SABER YOU DID NOT BUILD. (<- just my opinion)

IF you have a working Ultrasaber, DO NOT dissassemble it.. (if you dont like it, just sell it... evilbay baby.. lesson learned). And besides you can use the money on your personal build (;)

You can reproduce ANY color through mixing or can basically just "off the shelf" the common Red/Blue/Green we all use(and want from the films).. in fact you can get BETTER Led's then the one thats in your saber.. *ledengin 10w, now were talking "gotta have shades" brightness (O.O)..

So dont get stuck on colors or the parts you have.. If it's not what you want just sell it and (with a small effort) build yourself something you can truely be proud of!!

Your own dreams/design's brought to life, from the monitor, from the paper to the belt clip... yeah tcss is it boy, its the endgame and THATS THE TRUE POWER OF MHS SYSTEM (Tim)TCSS INVENTED!!!!!

keeth
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
haven't done anything on this for a while, but ordered some new parts and decided to go with the PC instead of the yoda board :) I'll update when I have more info :)