PDA

View Full Version : Masking fluid on Saber parts???

Sidd
05-26-2011, 05:38 AM
Hey I was wondering if anyone out there has tried masking fluid of any kind on MHS parts?

I have a fluted f2f and some other parts I want to mask off some details on and masking tape just isnt cutting it.

I have tried masking tape in the past but its a pain to deal with and trying to cut out the details is very hard on my hands. Not to mention the tape wont seal properly.

I was eyeballing some Masking fluid at Jo Ann's last night but it says its for use on canvas so i dont know what it will do on the MHS parts.

Anyone out there have any suggestions

Silver Serpent
05-26-2011, 06:11 AM
I have used electrical tape to greater success than masking tape on various projects. Be aware the electrical tape gets really gummy when baking enamel paints. Use a hobby knife (X-acto or the like) to cut out fine details. Be sure to press it down firmly after you've removed the cut-out sections.

I haven't heard of masking fluid before, so I really couldn't give you any info on using it.

Sidd
05-26-2011, 06:22 AM
I really doubt electrical tape would work in this instance, and I always remove the mask before I bake in case i need to redo or touch up. Plus tape in the oven is probably a bad idea lol, baking pain makes enough lethal fumes

brett
05-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Interestingly I tried using masking fluid only two days ago in an attempt at insulating my pommel inside for speaker placement. It was a basic rubber mask I use in illustration work, I needed to put on three layers, it was difficult, uneven, to lay down and certainly would be a pain to lay fine or definite lines with. I ended up using a few layers of clear nail polish instead. Good for intricate corners.

Crystal Chambers
05-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Sign decal vinyl works well. I haven't tried it on a hilt yet but I have used it to stencil before. Having a sign company cut out my designs with plotter sometimes helps too. Liquid sounds kind of iffy. I'd test it out on some scrap aluminum tube first or not invest much time in a test piece. liquid stencil for canvases sounds weird....I've emptied many a spray can and painted a lot of canvases with various medium and haven't even heard of such a product. Liquid band-aids. lol

Do you REALLY need to use a stencil or might there be another way to achieve what you're looking for. Hard to tell with very little info.

stegasp
05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm with CC on this one. I actually work in a sign shop & to try out different color schemes before I painted my saber I used decal vinyl to see what it'd look like. Then I used the plotter to make masking stencils out of the same kind of vinyl. Painted, peeled off & baked! It worked like a charm.

Darth Midian
05-26-2011, 10:19 AM
You can try liquid frisket. It's used in airbrushing. I haven't used it, but A friend of mine is an airbrush artist. I believe you paint it on, let it dry, then cut out the part you want to paint with an exacto knife. Once your paint is dry just remove the masking. I can't see why that wouldn't work on MHS parts.

Sidd
05-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys.

I will look into those things

Loachri MacTalabh
05-26-2011, 04:22 PM
You can try liquid frisket. It's used in airbrushing. I haven't used it, but A friend of mine is an airbrush artist. I believe you paint it on, let it dry, then cut out the part you want to paint with an exacto knife. Once your paint is dry just remove the masking. I can't see why that wouldn't work on MHS parts.
That would work. I have used it in a few different applications, one being a custom T-grip shifter knob.