PDA

View Full Version : Dueling groups

Albeehotep
12-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know of any dueling groups in the los angeles/ long beach area of california
my group is small and most of us except me are in the reserves and are getting an all expense paid trip to iraq after the first of the year[:(] and need to find another
albeehotep

Peace is a lie there is only-- Passion!
Through passion I gain-Strength!
Through strength I gain-Power!
Through power I gain-victory!
Through victory my chains are broken !!

UltraSWG
12-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Is the Kent County Jedi Fight Club anywhere near there? [:D]

informalmyx
12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
i am a rouge jedi willing to partake in some dueling in the greenville SC area

<center>http://home.earthlink.net/~myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

Darth Vengus
12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Any duellers in the East Texas/Dallas area? I've had 15 years experience swingin' shinai/kendo and live-steel swords in a medieval reenactment group, and ain't killed nobody...yet[:D]!

Vengus
</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

Albeehotep
12-09-2005, 05:34 PM
well im in the sunny state of california
in the los angeles area near long beach 500 miles south of san francisco and 150 miles north of san diego
need to find a dueling group in my area[B)][^]

dalvalucard
12-09-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm in abilene if that's close enought to kick yiur ass![}:)] HA HA! dangly parts. Seriously is that close enough?

The bird of Hermes is my name. Eating my wings to make me tame.

GFORCE13
12-10-2005, 04:50 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Does anyone know of any dueling groups in the los angeles/ long beach area of california
my group is small and most of us except me are in the reserves and are getting an all expense paid trip to iraq after the first of the year and need to find another
albeehotep
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I live in the Torrance area and don't know of any dueling groups around here but would be happy to join or form up a new one. I have a friend who does movie work and we dueled in the DoDah this year under the Alais of "Surviors of Excutive Order 66" so whom ever is interested for next Year. Also May the Force watch over you on your Iraquie Trip. Take Care.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Albeehotep
12-15-2005, 01:13 PM
well texas is a little far to whoop on someone and prove the power of the dark side now torrance would be a little closer and would be interinted in a possible meeting and spreading and Enlisting others
Albeehotep

TorLinWaDur
12-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Im in

Calfornia. Orange County.

not good at dueling, want to practice to get better. :)

- TorLinWaDur

CharionConway
12-28-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm on the East Coast. I have a small group thats willing to duel, but nothing has come out of it sadly. Anyone else in my region? It's about time for me to have a vacation anyway; why not fight someone in the process?

The difference between light and dark is all in the perspective of the observer.

suit_man
12-28-2005, 02:59 PM
where are you on the east coast?

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

scaarmor
12-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Arizona,-Prescott area-. We fight every week. Either with lightsabers or worse. We are fighters in the SCA that fight full armor full contact midevil weapons combat. We practice every week to get us ready for war. Our next war is Estrella War in Feb. where we will have around 3000-5000 fighters on the field- Nothing better than seing 2500 men on the opposing line and know that in 5 seconds your going to charge them, mow them down, and smash someone in the head with a heavy object!

Cain

Mur-Pa DiLos
12-28-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm in Orange County during the holidays (like now until mid January). I don't have a lightsaber yet, but as soon as I get my Fin. Aid, I will. I'd like to meet some of you anyways just to get more info about these. I'm in Yorba Linda at my parents house and have a ride. I go back to Flagstaff, Az for the spring semester at my school though. Be back at easter

CharionConway
12-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Im in lower ohio.

The difference between light and dark is all in the perspective of the observer.

Albeehotep
12-29-2005, 01:34 PM
well if anyones interisted for the long beach los angeles area[:D contact me [:D][:D]
albeehotep@hotmail.com

Erik
12-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Willing to duel with anyone in South Eastern New England! Connecticut preferred.

Mi Gin Gonn
12-30-2005, 08:54 PM
scaarmor- good god. how do you tell who's friend & who's foe with that many mf'ers? sounds like a big mosh pit with weapons, cool. i'd get dizzy. [xx(]

"Chaka, call off Dawson, will ya?!"

scaarmor
12-31-2005, 07:44 AM
All of the fighters (before fighting takes place) get inspected and you get a colored piece of tape on front and back of your 12/14 guage helmet. There are only 2 colors givin out that are like blue and yellow-easily distinguishable. The goal is to crack the guys with the other color- I say goal because a few of my side have been smacked by me for being to close with no time to look at colors-HEHEHEHEHE!!! I figure if your facing me you must be from the other side and should expect to get smacked in the skull...I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Mystereon
01-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm in the UK, Liverpool......
I could throw my saber hard!

http://www.chimerabespoke.com/jedisig.jpg

Albeehotep
03-24-2006, 03:47 PM
its been a while since i posted but still interested in dueling anyone in the los angeles or long beace California area [:D][:D]

naashar
03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by CharionConway

I'm on the East Coast. I have a small group thats willing to duel, but nothing has come out of it sadly. Anyone else in my region? It's about time for me to have a vacation anyway; why not fight someone in the process?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm in the Baltimore Md, York Pa area. Have saber, Will travel.

Get@me, man!! [8D]

You don't need to see any identification.

tetmatek
03-24-2006, 11:40 PM
How About Richmond, Virginia. I beleive there are at least two from my area on the post. Location Check Every one![8D]

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3213/sig35jo.jpg

desertscorpion
03-25-2006, 08:34 AM
This thread was an excellent idea. I was thinking (uh-oh), maybe there is a way, Xwing, that you could create some kind of thread with groupings, so that every region is separated or something. Honestly, I wouldn't know how to go about it or if it's very feasible for this kind of format. Any ideas? Is it even a good idea?

naashar
03-25-2006, 10:16 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by tetmatek

How About Richmond, Virginia. I beleive there are at least two from my area on the post. Location Check Every one![8D]

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3213/sig35jo.jpg

B-More Careful, Md, soon to be in the York Pa area...

Neymore
03-25-2006, 12:52 PM
i would like to form a dueling group here in plant city fla or at least near by, i would hold it in one of the parks that have a lot of space, altho i have no idea how to start the group[:D]

this is neymore, formorley marty123

Ambo
03-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Im out of Hampton Roads, VA

xwingband
03-28-2006, 04:54 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Neymore

i would like to form a dueling group here in plant city fla or at least near by, i would hold it in one of the parks that have a lot of space, altho i have no idea how to start the group[:D]

There are a quite a bit of us florida boys. You organize it and I bet people will come.

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/reelbigporter/bannerxwing.gif</center>

james3
03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
How 'bout the Florida boys meet up with the Virginia/Maryland boys in say South Carolina or something and we make it a weekend thing.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

xwingband
03-28-2006, 07:48 PM
I think we established the Florida boys don't have enough money.[:(]

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/reelbigporter/bannerxwing.gif</center>

james3
03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Dude, I understand. Lived in Merritt Island for a few years, LOVED IT! Just never seemed to have any extra cash.
[:)][:(][:)] AAHHH! Great Memories, wish I was still there.

Do-Clo
03-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Money really isn't a problem for us Florida boys, we don't have any money so we don't have a problem.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

Daj Nallig
03-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Sounds kinda like Illinois...no money, the available jobs suck-but at least the hours are long...lol[xx(]

Neymore
03-28-2006, 08:57 PM
ok what i think i will do is that after i have built a saber for me and my nephew, i will plan a weekend at one of the parks for all of us to get together and have a duleing good time. just send me an email after i get everything together and i will let you know where and when, i will try to schedule it so that everybody who wants to come can come, and i will try to have a lot of drinks on hand.

Do-Clo
03-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Sounds like plan

Do-Clo

Zhi-don
03-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Greetings:

We have a shinai group in Orange County that meets on Wednesday's from 630pm to 900pm approx. in Buena Park at Twila Reid Park. This is partly a standard shinai [read kendo without armor] group and also a lightsaber training class. This class is taught by myself, Erik [take a bow Smudge] and Phil. This is more of a fighting class, than a training class, although we do teach anyone wanting to learn. No equipment is necessary except for gloves. If you have a shinai [bamboo type] bring it. We usually have spares. You can also bring EL or LED Lightsabers, which can be used once approved by the above instructors. This group does circle combat[one on one], line battles [groups] and other types of fighting. I also teach a lightsaber training class on Sundays when weather permits from 2pm until 5pm in Anaheim at Willow Park. This class is one on one. Anyone interested can contact me at don.trim@westin.com

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base
Treasurer/Head Instructor
Lightsaber training OCSWS

Do-Clo
03-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Is this orange county california????

Do-Clo

naashar
03-29-2006, 10:22 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by james3

How 'bout the Florida boys meet up with the Virginia/Maryland boys in say South Carolina or something and we make it a weekend thing.

That would be some hotness! Count me in...

Zhi-don
03-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Yes....that would be Orange County, California.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

Reaper
03-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Anybody live in Wisconsin? Not many people are into sword fighting/saber fighting around here. Need some competition... it's hard to get good at blocking by yourself. haha

But seriously, if anyone has any good ideas on how to practice blocking by yourself, let me know.

supertrogdor
03-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Oh the woes of living in a small town in Idaho. Ill have to drum up interest in building and sparring partners i am afraid. However, If i lived close enough to any of you i would definately be down with a bit of slashy slashy woo woo dueling

Firebird21
03-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm game in MA! (South Central)

I already tried to get a thing going ("Attn: NE'ers") But there seems to be only about 3 people in the area.

But I wouldn't mind getting together for a little 1 on 1 with a group of people.

Have you read your Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577) today?
FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552)
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sabre.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/auto/car-smiley-032.gif

Zhi-don
03-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Reaper wrote: "But seriously, if anyone has any good ideas on how to practice blocking by yourself, let me know."

I think I can handle this one. We teach our students the standard 4 point kata: left flank, right flank, left leg, right leg. In the middle ages they also had a 5th: head, but we don't use this one for obvious reasons. 1]Find a pole, tree and a trusting person..*GRIN* 2] Assume the standard ready position: blade held in front of you at a 45 degree angle, right foot slightly ahead of the left. Strike the object on the right side at shoulder level, then repeat on the left side. Then strike at about knee level on the right side and then the left. Strike fast, but pull your hit, so that you strike the object lightly. You don't want to damage the tree, break your sword on the pole or send your friend, associate or SO to the hospital. Repeat this process. It's like the Karate Kid, wax on, wax off...paint the fence...side to side. The 4 point kata is the key to all other attacks and defenses. If you do it enough, then it is fairly easy to apply to other techniques. What you would be doing if you had another person with a sword would be to meet midway between the two of you. If you do it fast enough, the Jedi call it velocities. Doing this against a stationary object is the attack version. It builds strength and teaches control. The defense moves are the same except closer to your body to defend your shoulders, body and legs. I hope this helps some. What you really need is at least one other person. Look around. Check THEFORCE.NET boards for a club location near you. I'm sure that there are people there who would love to bang sticks with you.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

steel_darkblade
03-29-2006, 06:00 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zhi-don

Reaper wrote: "But seriously, if anyone has any good ideas on how to practice blocking by yourself, let me know."

I think I can handle this one. We teach our students the standard 4 point kata: left flank, right flank, left leg, right leg. In the middle ages they also had a 5th: head, but we don't use this one for obvious reasons. 1]Find a pole, tree and a trusting person..*GRIN* 2] Assume the standard ready position: blade held in front of you at a 45 degree angle, right foot slightly ahead of the left. Strike the object on the right side at shoulder level, then repeat on the left side. Then strike at about knee level on the right side and then the left. Strike fast, but pull your hit, so that you strike the object lightly. You don't want to damage the tree, break your sword on the pole or send your friend, associate or SO to the hospital. Repeat this process. It's like the Karate Kid, wax on, wax off...paint the fence...side to side. The 4 point kata is the key to all other attacks and defenses. If you do it enough, then it is fairly easy to apply to other techniques. What you would be doing if you had another person with a sword would be to meet midway between the two of you. If you do it fast enough, the Jedi call it velocities. Doing this against a stationary object is the attack version. It builds strength and teaches control. The defense moves are the same except closer to your body to defend your shoulders, body and legs. I hope this helps some. What you really need is at least one other person. Look around. Check THEFORCE.NET boards for a club location near you. I'm sure that there are people there who would love to bang sticks with you.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

So out of curiosity... have you even really taken a kendo/kum do class/art before?

"All men die, but not all men live... which are you?"

Reaper
03-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Zhi-don. Appreciate it. Back when I lived at home, I had a friend who would duel with me, but, at the time, I was way more advanced than him, so I was more teaching him. Now that I'm at college here in Green Bay, WI, I'm really the only person I know of that likes to sword fight. Plus it's not really encouraged on school grounds hahhaa. I'm definetly gonna try that out... we have a lot of forest around campus, so I'll find a spot somewhere. Thanks again for your help.

Zhi-don
03-29-2006, 09:26 PM
I dont claim to be an expert at anything. Someone has to teach and so after I learned I got the job. There are 3 of us. I am Headmaster only by virtue of starting the class. The other instructors have been doing shinai for more years than I have. I have not been trained in kendo, only shinai. Basically according to those who taught me shinai is somewhat the same, only no armor. In addition we pull our hits to avoid serious injury. We avoid head, neck and groin areas. We use standard shinai, EL and LED lightsabers. I did have some training in SCA style of combat in my younger years. Anyway we duel safely and make lightsaber training a skill to be learned and enjoyed. I am sure there are many out there better trained than I am, but the need was there and I responded. Nuff said.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

james3
03-29-2006, 10:30 PM
That's very cool, I think it would be neat to have something like that in the Richmond, Virginia area. Pretty much my training/dualing partner is four foot tall and still trying to learn himself.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-29-2006, 11:56 PM
too bad, if it was OC new york, you could go by OCC and buy a bike. lol

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Seccc
03-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Anyone in the South Wales region of the UK, I need someone with some skill to fight :)