PDA

View Full Version : Is sound worth it?

Jangotat
05-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey all. I have a few stunt sabers (battle yes, sound no) and the hasbro build your saber kit that you can't fight with. I'm reading up for a custom saber or conversion. I want everyone's opinions. Is sound worth it? Does it make feel more real? Is it easier to lose yourself in the force? Also has anyone ever thought the sound was corny, or got old? Thanks for your help.

Rafalema
05-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes, yes, and yes.

Sound only gets old if done badly (=very cheap speaker and soundboard). It depends of the person though.

ghost_a*
05-06-2011, 10:38 PM
i don't duel. my lightsabers are for display and home "messing around with" use only.
that being said...

OMFGYES!

thejedilestat
05-07-2011, 12:15 AM
+1 for sound

i have stunt sabers and sound sabers MRFX(STOCK), MRFX(conversion), ultrasound 2.5, PC-L(waiting for more parts to put it in a saber) and i have had econ boards and i have no bad things to say about anyof them. if you are going to do the sound on your own try out an econ board incase you fry it i have fryed 2 of them. if you fight with your sabers sound will take it to where you wanna be trust me on this. to each there own though. my brother and i bashed around econ hasbro sabers for over a year and we loved it then we moved up to MRFX and beat them pretty good. we have had a blast with them so i dont see why you wouldent.

sound or no sound aslong as you injoy the sabers its win win =)

grayven
05-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I vote NO. I also voted that they bring back silent films. Sound just gets in the way anyway. I mean I see no great advatage to haveing sound. Example right here, You just read my post would having sound had made it an better???? Don't let the simple fact that I don't have any non-sound lightsabers and one of my best friends is the King of lightsaber sound fonts fool you to thinking that I even remotly think what's the point of having a light saber without sound, becuase I don't. :P

Big_Furry_Oaf
05-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I have a ROTS Obi-Wan Hasbro Force-FX and the sound gets on my nerves. It's just so loud and repeditive.
However, I've built 2 sabers, both with 2010 economy boards, one with the economy speaker and one with a premium speaker and I have to say I wouldn't own a saber without at least some kind of sound. Otherwise you just have pretty, very expensive flashlights.

Ty_Bomber
05-07-2011, 10:00 PM
What am I gonna do, make the sounds myself?

I mean, I know we all did once, but WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.

Darth Midian
05-08-2011, 08:06 AM
I've built both. I turn on a saber without sound & I think, cool. I turn on a saber with sound & I can't help but think AWESOME!!! When I mess around with my non sound sabers, I catch myself making the noises like I did when I was kid. Yes, I think sound is worth it. You can use the 2010 econo boards with the tcss clash & swing censors, & the tcss premium speaker. That makes for a great inexpensive sound set up.

Arkhan
05-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Even the very best "non-sound" saber is a glorified flashlight.

Show someone a stunt saber and they're going to say "okay, that's cool"

Show someone a saber with decent sound and they're going to say "holy cow, its a flipping lightsaber!!"

My .02 galactic credits.

Sunrider
05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Light and sound are the dynamic duo. The sound makes them turn their heads and the light makes their eyes pop out. :)

TimeRender
05-08-2011, 07:04 PM
If you are concerned that you might get tired of the sound or that it might not be appropriate in all situations (costume parties, conventions etc.) then you can install a cut-off switch on your speaker.

Skottsaber
05-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Sound only gets old if done badly (=very cheap speaker and soundboard). It depends of the person though.

I disagree. The cheapest soundboards can be made brilliant with a good install, and the most expensive soundboards can be ruined by a bad install.

Sound overall, well IMO it's 50% of the package.
BUT. And this is very important.
Sound installs are a trick up from a stunt saber's electronics. If you are not skilled in soldering and saberbuilding, I highly recommend you do a stunt install first, it's always upgradable after all.

Tarrell
05-09-2011, 05:14 AM
Sound is always worth it, i mean when you think of a lightsaber whats the first thing that that stands out; the bar of light, or that magneificent hum and sound of the saber being swept through the air. mmmmm its just to awesome.

Rafalema
05-09-2011, 05:15 AM
I disagree. The cheapest soundboards can be made brilliant with a good install, and the most expensive soundboards can be ruined by a bad install.

Indeed. But I did say "very cheap speaker" (like the hasbro ones) and a good install doesn't have a "very cheap speaker" ;)

Crystal Chambers
05-09-2011, 08:27 AM
I have to agree with the current majority....Sound all the way. My first completed saber had sound and then I did a few stunt hilts but got bored of them quickly. I still like to have at least one mean flash light to carry around the yard at night but otherwise sound make a huge difference in a more genuine feeling saber. Boards have variety of characteristics in swing and clash sensors behavoir that you either need to adjust to or find what you're comfortable with. For instance knowing which gestures will set off the sensors might be limiting to your fighting style (depending on which board you have) but make for a better experience sound wise. Dueling with sound sabers is crazy fun.

They can take a while to do depending on your skill level, difficulty of design, etc. But I think it's well worth it. Especially when you can be proud in knowing you built it yourself.

Big_Furry_Oaf
05-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Indeed. But I did say "very cheap speaker" (like the hasbro ones) and a good install doesn't have a "very cheap speaker" ;)Not true. I have built 2 sabers with economy boards, 1 with the econo speaker and 1 with the premium speaker. The premium speaker is much louder and a bit clearer, but that doesn't always mean better.
I do not like a deafening activation sound and a hum you have to shout over. An economy speaker that hasn't been busted coupled with a good resonance chamber can sound great.
It all depends on what you are looking for in a saber.

Jangotat
05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the time and knowledge everyone, but please keep going if you have more thoughts. Good builds, info a padawan wouldn't know, all appreciated. Great job!

Jangotat
05-14-2011, 07:43 PM
What's better Crystal Sound or Petit Crouton? And is CS just a soundboard no driver?

Sunrider
05-14-2011, 07:56 PM
What's better Crystal Sound or Petit Crouton? And is CS just a soundboard no driver?

CS Wut? :confused: Do you mean CF?

Jedi-Loreen
05-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Much to learn you have, Padawan.

Teach you everything, we cannot. Learn on your own as well, you must. More reading, must you also do.

thejedilestat
05-14-2011, 11:26 PM
i say if you want sound a CF is not the place to start they are really cool but you have to crawl before you can walk. i agree with JL you need to read more im not saying it to be mean im saying it to help. saber building can be really fun but it can be alot harder if you didnt read up on what you are trying to do so look around take your time dont rush let it soak in wich can take time. read up on wiring schematics save the diagrams and rember most of us are verry happy to help if there is anything you wanna ask feel free to send me a message if i can help i will try.

Azmaria Dei
05-15-2011, 10:20 AM
lestat, you're missing a LOT of punctuation...

Jangotat, CF (Crystal Focus) is the pinnacle of saber sound tech. it's also extremely hard to get and expensive. the PC is the little sister to it and fills all the requirements that most people will ever need in a saber. i also recommend reading every stickied thread as well.