PDA

View Full Version : FX Anakin conversion kit

OcTavius
05-05-2011, 02:00 PM
So i just bought this and its not fiting in my hasbro 200 hilt. Its not a tight fit it physically will not fit inside. ill post a picture later tonight but i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what i need to do

stegasp
05-05-2011, 02:19 PM
OcTavius, the year number of your hilt is missing the last digit. That might help someone figure out why it's not fitting. I wish I could be of more help!

OcTavius
05-05-2011, 03:02 PM
woops sorry, 2007 hasbro

ghost_a*
05-05-2011, 03:12 PM
if you look at the 'reviews' tab on the product page it looks like a couple different people have had a similar problem

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MR-or-Hasbro-FX-Anakin-conversion-kit-P248.aspx

OcTavius
05-05-2011, 03:42 PM
ya they said they had to sand it, how is sanding metal going to make enough difference
this is honestly how far it would fit, thats with forcing it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Michaud12/DSC00346.jpg

Azmaria Dei
05-05-2011, 03:50 PM
sanding it helps by removing thin layers of metal every time. be sure to use 150+ sandpaper too. it'll work - it'll just take a little extra work.

ghost_a*
05-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I had to do alot of work to get it to fit. It was really tight & needed a good bit of sanding to not only the inside of the hilt, but also the outside of the blade holder. Once in though, everything lined up well. I've just ordered another for my next project though. Maybe it will fit with less work.

that's one of the reviews.
if you read, he says not only did he have to sand the actual blade holder, but he also had to sand in the inside of the hilt itself.

OcTavius
05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
sanding it helps by removing thin layers of metal every time. be sure to use 150+ sandpaper too. it'll work - it'll just take a little extra work.
Alright ill have to give the sand paper a go

Inferno
05-05-2011, 06:54 PM
A friend of mine and I converted a 07 Anakin and had access to a metal lathe at the time. I think we took off 1/32nd of a inch and with a little sanding on the inside of the hilt, everything fit snug.

OcTavius
05-05-2011, 07:28 PM
ya this just sand paper is going slow

dgdve
05-05-2011, 08:02 PM
This has been discussed before. Tcss sells the conversion kit that is for ALL models of the Ani fx, I have used it for both companies(Mr and Hfx). One thing to remember is through the different versions of the ani rots (there were 3 different ones that I know of).. so thats 3 slightly different products spanning 2 seperate companies.. Also of note is that Tim machines the kit to the exact same tolerances every time (use your calipers) BUT I personally have found slight differences between the sabers themselves (the 05 version has gold instead of copper buttons and is very light and cheap feeling) I really like the Hfx version actually its got a decent weight to it and the more accurate copper colored buttons.

ALSO remember metal stock tube (which is what they make the sabers from originally has variances of +/-.005 which doesnt seem like much but it is probably what your sanding off.. I'm telling you 5 good min with 150grit and your fine I promise ;) plus now your blade holder will have a very good sturdy solid feeling in the hilt(which is exactly what you want).. Would you rather get the big part and sand it down (ever so slightly).. or get the part and find out it was... loose (boooooooo). So this is the why and Ihope that really helps!

As you can tell I LOVE the ani, so keep us posted on the status of this conversion! (oo and paint it NOW that way when you sand it you can get those little area's clean around the "graflex charge pins")

OcTavius
05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
ive been sanding for hour with 150+ sand paper and its not fine, infact its stuck about a 1/2 a inch in and it wont come back out, and thats after a hour of sanding and its still to big

OcTavius
05-05-2011, 08:54 PM
alright, i finally got it out. Ill bring both parts to the shop on campus tomorrow

cardcollector
05-06-2011, 06:42 AM
The 2010 version of the ani is indeed different. I can say Tcss is working on a new BH for that model right now though.

OcTavius
05-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Its a 2007 not a 2010.

and the shop on campus is closed, great

dgdve
05-06-2011, 08:02 AM
YES I guess your right(your absolutely correct CardCollector).. with the subtle changes in design the 2010 REMOVABLE BLADE version is ever so slightly different again with a new blade retension system that forced a change to the diameter of screw that secures the original(plastic) blade holder into the hilt.. the 2010 non removable version is the same as previous models of hfx. (and as he pointed out there is a new design being looked at by the big bosses, ***BUT*** note: it will ONLY be for removable blade version so you'd still get this one.. which is the correct version for your hilt)

Also DONT sand it and force it as your doing.. you need to just focus on sanding it until it will slide in and back out with relative ease. I still think you should paint it first as paint creates an additional layer which you might as well be just sanding flush now.

I think your trying to cut corners on your own build and if your not careful it will show.. step back, grab a drink(strong/weak/water/w.e.).. sit out on the porch (or deck chairs are nice too!).. enjoy the breeze and focus on how awesome your saber will be once its done (then just sand away.. dont let it become a chore.. make your build a positive experience and DONT rush).

All this talk of "shops or campus shop labs".. is unnecessary (yes tools are nice) but when you finish that thing by hand your going to get a sense of accomplishment that cannot be achieved if you just give up and "let the shop boys do it".. I urge you to take your time and focus on getting it exactly how you want it.. dont let anyone else touch your saber (I know I wouldnt.. grubby hands and greasy fingerprints...Nope, no way, go away... hehehehe). I really hope this helps and I promise if you give her enough elbow grease, she will give you a glow and a new self awareness of personal accomplishment.. Ive often compared building sabers to building model ships(the ones in the bottle).. its NOT easy but alternatively the reward/wow factor is magnified 10 fold

(Good talk) Now get on out there (in them deck chairs) and follow the path of the many force users(jedi and sith alike) who came before you and built there own! (I know you can do it!) I know its in you.. I can tell from the way your posts really dont show your full frustration(a wise move).. just push through this wall there's greatness ahead ;)

OcTavius
05-06-2011, 08:43 AM
ya i think im just going to sand it myself, i still need someone else tho to drill the whole for the thumb screw a little bigger tho

OcTavius
05-06-2011, 10:45 PM
alright, after a LOT of sanding i can get it in and out

Azmaria Dei
05-07-2011, 01:24 AM
congrats! glad you got it working well. ^_^

dgdve
05-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Awesome!!

Now its just time for some paint! and while thats drying... time to start practicing the first half of your victory dance :P

OcTavius
05-08-2011, 08:26 PM
so i painted some plastic pieces in a conversion im doing, ive done about 3 coats. Do i still need to do some clear finish? i want it to be Matte not shiny

OcTavius
05-12-2011, 04:54 PM
My first soldering adventure ended in success.
Man when that light first came on , wow

I burnt my hand once when i was first starting, but i take it as part of making a lightsaber fit for a sith

heres some pictures of my first time work (taken with my phone)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Michaud12/DSC00347.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Michaud12/DSC00348.jpg
im using quick disconnects incase i ever want to change the color

dgdve
05-12-2011, 06:32 PM
just be sure you isolate everything and you should be just fine.. its lookin good.. I'm getting excited for ya :P

Jedi-Loreen
05-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Your wires soldered to the LED are stripped back a bit too far. Make sure the bare wires aren't touching the heat sink. Ideally, you don't want the bare wires even touching the LED star, itself, just the solder pads on the star.

Gin Malinko
05-12-2011, 10:49 PM
just an added note on this.
I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha

dgdve
05-14-2011, 04:31 AM
just an added note on this.
I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha

Seconded! (lol)