PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Petit Cruton, main led turns on when kill key is pulled.

airsoftmode
04-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Issue solved, faulty component on board, admins can now delete.

Zook
04-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Why did you not contact me?

What did you replace?

It sounds more like you shorted something when wiring and found and fixed that as every problem but two reported to me has been that. The other two were user mistakes. Components just usually do not fail in the mail.

anyway If you got a bad component you should have contacted me for warranty service and I would have repaired it.

airsoftmode
04-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Would have but board was ordered over 30 days ago, putting it outside the coverage period.

Part seems to be a transistor that feeds the LED regulator, its tiny but the bottom right corner is melted, and I noticed a small spark when the led was connected. Took me quite a while to figure that out, with a magnifying glass scanning the board.

I am writing this one off as a loss, I should have tested as soon as I got it, not left it on a shelf, but the sound still works so I can always use this board in conjunction with a DPDT latching switch and run an led on a parallel circuit.

I wired this saber at the same time, identically, and it preforms flawlessly, so I am pretty sure its the board itself not the wiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JTPpT4yNaQ

Zook
04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Sorry I misread your post. I thought you meant you fixed it which made me assume that you just fixed the wiring.

DO NOT write it off though...WHY would you? That is what we have been trying to say over and over. This board has full support and can be repaired. It is not like the old days where you have to write off a $125 board. If I charged you to repair it you would only pay a small charge (cheaper than another driver etc). Who is to say I would even charge you...if it has a faulty component (Yes every board is tested but it is possible for a component to fail) I may just cover it anyway even if it is out of the 30 day window a little (at my own discretion).

Please email or PM me and we will work out the details but there is no reason for anyone to EVER right off a PC.

airsoftmode
04-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh awesome, well I already ordered another PC-L board, and an anti vandal dpdt switch for the broken one, but I might send it back in for repair, I didn't even know repair was an option.

The ultrasounds and sabersounds supposedly had a support too, but I could never get NovaC to fix a broken board.

Thank you!

All in all I really love this board, the sound quality on the Dark Meat, is in my opinion the best pre loaded font on any production board. And the blaster block and scrolling accent led system is amazing.

erv
04-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Oh awesome, well I already ordered another PC-L board, and an anti vandal dpdt switch for the broken one, but I might send it back in for repair, I didn't even know repair was an option.

The ultrasounds and sabersounds supposedly had a support too, but I could never get NovaC to fix a broken board.

I've almost never left a dead board in the wild, and that' pretty much what Zook is offering too. I stand behind my products, just like I react as fast as possible for bug fixing. That's now public knowledge I think.
Most boards can be fixed. Aside a possible failure of a part on a brand new board, most driver section fail due to lack of LED isolation, either backplate or solder joints which end touching the blade holder. Also, the board must be isolated from the hilt.
For the LED backplate, I recommend a double layer of "cool" tape (thermal tape).
Most people think that silicone grease isolates, which is "true" when grease is cold and thick but it flaws and flattens after being heated by the led.

So far, after thousands of boards, I've declined to repair 2 boards only. One was imprisoned in fist sized blob of hotglue and electrical tape.
The second one had a volcano burn, like polarity reversed, or the person powered the board from the LED outputs and pretty much all parts on the board had died, and the PCB had a burnt hole down to almost the whole thickness of the board.

no offense is meant with that post, and no grief taken neither.

xl97
04-29-2011, 03:57 PM
lmao..

this: "powered the board from the LED outputs"

is a good one!! I have never seen/heard of anyone doing that one before! lol..

erv
04-30-2011, 01:03 AM
lesson learned, never make a too symmetrical board.
I'm actually surprised no one has claimed yet the invention of that very RPS ("Reverse Powering System") :wink:

Lord Dottore Matto
04-30-2011, 10:57 PM
lesson learned, never make a too symmetrical board.
I'm actually surprised no one has claimed yet the invention of that very RPS ("Reverse Powering System") :wink:

You mean i can't just blowtorch the wires to wherever i want? Who makes these crappy things anyways? :lol:

Azmaria Dei
05-01-2011, 03:07 AM
ahem... i invented a method of powering things in reverse back in the 80's...

Rhyen Skytracker
05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I always do things backwards, or at least that is what I have been told. LOL

JamoUp
05-01-2011, 06:58 PM
LOL .dlot neeb evah I tahw si taht tsael ta ro ,sdrawkcab sgniht od syawla I
fixed!

Skottsaber
05-02-2011, 04:43 AM
Ahh, much easier to read now. Thanks Jamo ;)

dgdve
05-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Ive seen that commercial where the guy rides the horse backwards, does that count?