PDA

View Full Version : my saber build

heartagram71
04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
hey guys and gals...this is my first saber build. im modifying a stock 05 vader. not only am i ditching the EL blade, but im also ditching alot of the stock exterior..

heres what ive got so far...yes ive sanded the "chrome" off to expose the copper color for a weathered, "steampunk-ish" style...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/elementskater/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo106.jpg

parts im still running from the original vader are:
sound board w/ clash sensor
batter pack w/ speaker
clear poly-c blade (not sure if ill need to run the white inner tube in the clear tube or not)

anyways, parts on my list to get are:
Luxeon rebel star (amber)
Vader luxeon conversion kit
10* luxeon collimater lens
luxeon lens holder

i think thats it...im not getting to elaborate with this one seeing as how its a prototype...let me know what you think..

Darth Ares
04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
put your mind to it and do it, I believe you can

jin starkiller
04-25-2011, 03:10 PM
the weathering looks alright

the parts that tou will use for the led seems rgt except that you need to use either a buckpuck or a resistor in your setup
don't recall if you need one of those or not with the fx/mr boards

someone else who has wired these can chime in if I am mistaken

heartagram71
04-26-2011, 01:59 AM
the weathering looks alright

the parts that tou will use for the led seems rgt except that you need to use either a buckpuck or a resistor in your setup
don't recall if you need one of those or not with the fx/mr boards

someone else who has wired these can chime in if I am mistaken

mind you that the pick was taken with 1.3 mega pixel cellphone camera lol so it doesnt do it any justice

and ill probably just pic up both resistor and buckpuck anyways, and keep em for my next project if i dont use them for this one...any recommendations on which ohm resistor i should use (if needed)

Jay-gon Jinn
04-28-2011, 09:08 PM
If you're using the stock battery pack, (and even if you weren't) you do not need a resistor or buck puck...just wire it up like in the conversion tutorial for the Vader saber posted on the forums.

heartagram71
04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
If you're using the stock battery pack, (and even if you weren't) you do not need a resistor or buck puck...just wire it up like in the conversion tutorial for the Vader saber posted on the forums.
yeah i fail, right after i typed that i found the vader conversion thread lolz..

Jay-gon Jinn
04-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Wait, you said this was an EL, right? That may complicate things....those run an inverter that inverts the DC current from the batteries to AC....that won't work for powering an led. There have been conversions done on those, but the wiring can get tricky. Most people do them using a DPDT switch (which the saber already has, if memory serves) and use one circuit on the switch to activate the sound, and the other to activate the led. Somewhere on the forums, member Matt Thorn has done a conversion on an EL MR saber. I'll see if i can track it down and add the link to this post.

heartagram71
04-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Wait, you said this was an EL, right? That may complicate things....those run an inverter that inverts the DC current from the batteries to AC....that won't work for powering an led. There have been conversions done on those, but the wiring can get tricky. Most people do them using a DPDT switch (which the saber already has, if memory serves) and use one circuit on the switch to activate the sound, and the other to activate the led. Somewhere on the forums, member Matt Thorn has done a conversion on an EL MR saber. I'll see if i can track it down and add the link to this post.

well im not 100% sure if you consider stock MRs EL...when we took it apart and pulled the LEDs out of the blade it was the long strip with them on it...

but thanks for the info..im gonna have to do some more digging around on here

Rafalema
04-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Older MRs are EL

(The ones I know had ELs are old Luke ROTJ and Anakin AOTC)

Skottsaber
04-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Yeah, the only MR EL sabers were the Luke ROTJ and Anakin AoTC.
And they were definitely not using EL in 2005.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-30-2011, 09:14 AM
well im not 100% sure if you consider stock MRs EL...when we took it apart and pulled the LEDs out of the blade it was the long strip with them on it...

but thanks for the info..im gonna have to do some more digging around on here

Well, your first post states you're "ditching the EL blade"....I missed the part where you said it was a 2005 Vader. As Skott said, and you just pointed out, it's an LED laddder blade, not an EL. I'm not a collector of original MR sabers, I just gut 'em and throw away the hilts. ;)

heartagram71
04-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Well whatever you call them, I'm not using it for the blade lol I'm going rebel star lol

I am, though, gonna try and salvage as many of the red LEDs as possible for future projects. right now I'm trying to figure out a way to mount an LED indicator light that lights up when the blade is powered on. I have a couple dope purple LEDs that I'm thinking about using for that. I trying to find a way to make the light look flush and stick out a god awful amount but I still want to be able to remove the internals if needed.

heartagram71
05-14-2011, 03:30 AM
finished wiring up the LED indicator. yes its purple :) still not 100% sure on what else I'm gonna do astethically...gonna order the rest of the parts on Friday :D
http://emob2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/elementskater/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1631-1.jpg

thejedilestat
05-15-2011, 05:09 AM
onley EL MRs are the luke ROTJ and anakin AOTC first led string blade MR was vader ANH. could be rong though im no diehard collector and i haven looked into it in over a year. i would just like to add i am the proud owner of a anakin AOTC and vader ANH in my stock MR collection (smile)