PDA

View Full Version : Mandalorian making a lightsaber

Raviel
04-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Title says it all, i am a member of the mandalorian mercs and am now looking to try my hand at making my own lightsaber. I never was a big fan of the way of the jedi. but but a buddy of mine has a custom one that he carries on his armor and it does look very nice.

Azmaria Dei
04-24-2011, 02:40 AM
i can agree with that. a jedi or sith saber is a good trophy/tool for any merc/bounty hunter/mandalorian.

so what are you thinking of building? have you checked out the MHS Builder? it's in the menu bar at the top of the page. welcome and good luck!

Raviel
04-24-2011, 10:52 PM
thank you for the welcome, as for the saber i have already used the builder program here and bought most of the things that i need i am just working on either buying a premade 7.4v battery pack or am going to make it myself and then cuting all the crome sink pipe for an overlay for the saber lol and then theres the powder coating i need to figure out XD this is way harder than making mandalorian armor

Big_Furry_Oaf
04-24-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm interested in seeing your design. Do you think you'll make it a Mando or Jedi design? I think an ancient Jedi lightsaber would be a good trophy, though a lightsaber that has been gutted and made mando would be cool too.

Rafalema
04-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I think that a saber with a blade color to match your armor would be the greatest, and the hilt should have some weathering as well.

Good luck on your project, make sure to take pics of it and your armor once you're done!

Raviel
04-24-2011, 11:27 PM
to be honest i wouldnt know what a mando lightsaber would look like and the design well i am pretty much winging it as i go =] the blade color is amber becuase well my armor is red but i didnt want a red ligth saber, if anything i wanted to make it have the same color scheme as my weapons which are "steampunk" colors like everyone tells me gold, brass, silver, copper but for this i kind of want to keep the crome and black/aluminum look to it so it pops out more

Big_Furry_Oaf
04-24-2011, 11:34 PM
You cold maybe make a shroud to resemble the T-Visor around the emitter. Or cut out the skull design seen on Boba Fett's shoulder. Or work in that diamond pattern that sets between the chest armor pieces. Or you could include a Pawawan braid to the pommel, as sort of an homage to Boba Fett.

Raviel
04-24-2011, 11:38 PM
intresting concept i was already planning on having somthing hanging from my pommel

pointoforigin
04-25-2011, 04:23 AM
As a fellow Merc, I'll caution you on using a saber with your kit. Usually, as soon as someone sees a lightsaber, they think "Jedi" so it's not so good to have one. If you do use it with your kit, it's best to have a very damaged looking one - "I took this after a fierce battle" kinda thing. You WILL be frowned upon by the Mercs if you use one with your kit.

There is no such thing as a Mandalorian lightsaber.

Though Amptrooper comes close with his Mythosaur engraved shrouds.

All that said, if you want to make a saber for the purpose of making a saber, by all means go for it! It's probably comparable in difficulty to making a set of armour, I think. Of course, it depends how far you go with the design, how intricate you make it, what electronics you put in it... all of that.

Big_Furry_Oaf
04-25-2011, 08:45 AM
I'd say a Mando with a Jedi lightsaber isn't unlikely. The Clone Wars series showed one and George Lucas has a direct hand in that. Though it was used by a Mandalorian commander, was a family heirloom, a very rare kind of lightsaber and a trophy from a major battle, it did happen. It may not be too common but there is precedent.
If it fits in your character, I see no problem with it. Especially if it's one from the Mandalorian Wars. We've even seen a few instances of warriors wearing lightsabers in the prequel-era with Aurra Singh, Grevious and Pre Vizsla (a top bounty hunter and 2 top generals).
I also don't see a problem with a Mandalorian modifying a lightsaber after he's won it. With few exceptions, you can't construct one unless you use the force to align the crystal so I doubt you could BUILD one from scratch. Modifying it, painting the exterior or placing a shroud over it wouldn't be far fetched.
I don't think EVERY Mando would/should have one. The logic of using one in battle against a Jedi isn't very sound. They do seem to like trophies, however.

Also I've tried to build Mando armor. I've built a lightsaber. Saber building is way easier.

pointoforigin
04-25-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm not talking there from a precedent point of view, but from a CRL point of view within the Mandalorian Mercs. It's stated that unless you are making a Canon character, such as Pre Viszla, Bardan Jusik or Kad'ika, you may only have a saber if it's a trophy. Trophy sabers are usually defined as being beat up or broken completely, and they must be mounted in a place that is obviously not quick grab.

I've always thought that if a Mando was to be a Jedi hunter, yes he'd have one taken as a trophy, but for believability he'd actually have like four or five. And still not use them.

The main reasoning behind this as far as I can tell is that someone new to the scene comes in and goes, "Oh hey I want to make a cool Star Wars costume. Who's the coolest people in the galaxy? Jedi! Oh hang on, Mandos! Oh how about both? I'll be a Mandalorian Jedi!" Pretty much every single person would do that then. There's also links to the Mandalorian culture, in that as a people, Mando's REALLY dislike Force users of any kind.

Just as a side note, Aurra Sing used to be a Jedi herself so makes sense she has sabers - Viszla's Darksaber was passed down through the generations to him, after being stolen from the Jedi - and Grevious was a crazy Jedi killing machine who used sabers himself to prove he was better than the Jedi he was fighting.

Please note - not trying to bash at all, just make aware :)

Big_Furry_Oaf
04-25-2011, 05:55 PM
I can understand it from a Mandalorian Merc point of view. And I understand each of the characters I mentioned have a reason to carry a lightsaber.
Point is, at the point where these 3 characters are active in the SW Universe, there are certain important factions: The Jedi, the Sith, the Republic, the Seperatists, Death Watch / true Mandalore and Bounty Hunters. Prominent members, and most often the actual leaders, of these factions all have something in common: they all carry lightsabers.
And keep in mind these characters exist in a time of relative peace, Sure the Clone Wars are raging, but they've only been going on for about a year and they've had a thousand years of peace beforehand. Until a year prior, the Jedi were ambassador monks, not warriors. Imagine a time of near constant war, where the Jedi are considered the greatest fighters to ever live.
Lightsabers appear to be hugely popular and important trophies and status symbols for warriors who are opposed to the Jedi.
I can certainly see a Mandalorian having a lightsaber as a trophy, be it broken, functional or modified. Again, I don't really see one using it much, if at all, especially against a Jedi.

Umbral Lotus
04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
If I were a Mandalorian, I would absolutely show off my trophy lightsaber by wearing it on my armor. The lightsaber is no doubt the symbol of the Jedi, and the only way to get one, is be a Jedi, a Sith, or kill one in combat and take it.

And we all know it's no small task to defeat a Jedi Master or Sith...

So I personally would take the crystal out of the hilt, wear it as a necklace, and hang the broken hilt at my side as a symbol... "this WILL happen to YOU, Jedi scum..."

Raviel
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
So I personally would take the crystal out of the hilt, wear it as a necklace, and hang the broken hilt at my side as a symbol... "this WILL happen to YOU, Jedi scum..."
i like that idea i like the quote even more but i am making this lightsaber to be more of actual dueling lightsaber more than just a trophy

Ronan
04-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Ahhh so you found one of my lightsaber that i dropped.

Please kindly return it to:
The Jedi Temple
7777, Avenue Four Masters,
Coruscant, Universe 1

Thank You.

(null).exe
04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
If I were to make a "trophy saber" hilt for my merc armor, I would make the hilt, then play around with a torch and possibly a plasma cutter to give it some nice damage effect, a hole melted through the emitter or grip would be a nice touch, as if you'd managed to get the perfect shot with a blaster into the weapon and disable it.

Davo
05-07-2011, 03:24 AM
I'm no expert on Mandos or Jedi for that matter, but from what I've seen in the movies, the trade weapons of the mercs are blasters and various gadgets, and the trade weapon of a Jedi is the saber. So, if you wanted it to be a trophy yet battle functional, keeping in line with typical fighting style/tools of the mercs, perhaps you could modify the hilt to be a saber/blaster combo? The appearance of a noble weapon but with the underhanded trickery of a blaster. I dunno...just a creative thought.

Big_Furry_Oaf
05-07-2011, 10:29 AM
A lightsaber bayonet would be pretty cool.

Azmaria Dei
05-08-2011, 03:02 AM
A lightsaber bayonet would be pretty cool.

and maybe with a built in dart launcher? ^_~

Tarrell
05-08-2011, 03:09 AM

A Kamino Saberdart launcher.. :D

pointoforigin
05-08-2011, 08:02 AM

Where's Rhyen? :D