PDA

View Full Version : It's time to face reality

Loachri MacTalabh
04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
My saber, it's turning into a money pit. :cry: I have to set it aside until I have a job. I can't be spending good money on it and everything go haywire.

Here is a list of the problems I have had;
Cut too far on the sinktube needed to start over.
Got the choke and the sinktube to MHS adapter threads stuck, Needed new parts.
Got the threads to the new choke and the blade holder stuck, managed to get them apart and re-threaded.
Finally got it built and working, then the speaker went out, needed a new one.
Got new speaker, decided to completely re-wire it with stranded wire instead of solid. Noticed a solder pad came off of the LED driver.
The batteries must have short circuited, they got HOT, now their dead.
While Taking it apart, got the threads to sinktube to MHS adapter and pommel stuck.

You see why I need to set it aside. I will go ahead with the re-build when I can afford it. I will use an MHS extension and the Sleeve material, instead of the sinktube. I may also use a Petit Crouton, instead of a Ultrasound.

I will sill be around, but no building.

cardcollector
04-23-2011, 11:32 AM
That is tough man, I know how you feel. That thing happened with my second saber. If it could go wrong, it did.

Hope you are able to finally finish it sometime...

Boj-Vaati Mau
04-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Good luck mate and I hope you get a job shortly.
The Force will be with you, always...

Loachri MacTalabh
04-24-2011, 04:04 PM
That is tough man, I know how you feel. That thing happened with my second saber. If it could go wrong, it did.

Hope you are able to finally finish it sometime...

I have decided to just make this version a stunt.:)

Good luck mate and I hope you get a job shortly.
The Force will be with you, always...

Aradian Valentine
04-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Im sorry for your troubles, imho you need some lube. having said that I know that it will be all the sweeter when you can return and finish the saber. :)
-AV

Azmaria Dei
04-24-2011, 05:13 PM
definitely get some lube. something like this. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Grease-P426.aspx

Tanimal
04-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I feel for you, I've stupidly fried 3 econo boards and a speaker and now I'm going way over my budget I planned for myself. Giving it up till I get a solid job this summer.

Big_Furry_Oaf
04-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Yeah... I got into the hobby thinking I could get a hilt for $90 and that would be the end of it. Then I wanted lights. Then I wanted sounds. Now I want shrouds and crystal chambers and elaborate reveal-style chassis and Jedi and Sith versions and padawan-sized versions...
Planned to spend $90 and walk away. Have now spent over $600 and still want more. There is a slight stinging sensation where my wallet used to be...

Lord Dottore Matto
04-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah... I got into the hobby thinking I could get a hilt for $90 and that would be the end of it. Then I wanted lights. Then I wanted sounds. Now I want shrouds and crystal chambers and elaborate reveal-style chassis and Jedi and Sith versions and padawan-sized versions...
Planned to spend $90 and walk away. Have now spent over $600 and still want more. There is a slight stinging sensation where my wallet used to be...

LOL, tell it to the guy who has over 40K into it :lol:

jin starkiller
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
LOL
I have to agree with LDM on that note I only been building sabers since last July and spent over 5K
and that was just my personal sabers as shown in my sig
That number doesn't include what I have purchsed for the the ones that were custom orders for people sabers

jjshumpert
04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
im well over 20 grand, with over 3 grand in my personal hilts

Rezolution
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Here is an EXCELLENT thread from candlepowerforums on how you can get two stuck parts apart without scratching the crap out of them :)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?310947-Opening-lights-with-glued-threads-HOWTO-without-tools-no-damage

Loachri MacTalabh
04-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Here is an EXCELLENT thread from candlepowerforums on how you can get two stuck parts apart without scratching the crap out of them :)

If I don't force them,That just might work. I'll have to try it. Thanks:D

jin starkiller
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
you might also want to try getting 2 strap wrenches and going that route to try and get them apart without damage them or scratching the MHS parts

also I believe patience you need and not rush with your saber so that it doesn't cost you more credits for your build

Rezolution
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Just make sure you keep the bungees away from your face. You can really get hurt if they snap anywhere near your face. Always wear safety glasses when doing things like that :)

Loachri MacTalabh
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Well that didn't work, I just made little rubber bands out of big rubber bands. How ever I did get them apart. I pine blocks that I used as (all smiths be advised close your eyes, plug your ears, and hold your breath) soft jaws in the bench vice, just snug enough to keep it from spinning. Then a little penetrating oil on the threads, and used the one and only strap wrench I have. A quick bit of pressure and it came free. The threads aren't too messed up.

jjshumpert
04-26-2011, 06:15 PM
if you have issues later an hour in the freezer helps as well

Azmaria Dei
04-28-2011, 01:54 AM
i highly recommend you start using the threading lubricant Tim sells in the store... it costs about as much as a stamp and it only takes a drop spread across the male ends. i have yet to use a whole tube.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Grease-P426.aspx

IndustrialAction
04-28-2011, 05:51 AM
When I got my parts for the saber contest, they were locked in so tight that it took me almost a week to get them apart! I had Tim do quite a bit of custom work and I think he had to put the saber together in order to get everything to line up the way I had it drawn out. In the end, I took a four step process...
1. spray WD-40 into the slits where the parts met up
2. freeze overnight
3. leave in a glass of vegetable oil overnight (straight from the freezer to the oil)
4. strap wrenches (after cleaning off the outside of the parts with soap and water)

It took a lot of effort but eventually, they all came apart. Oh, and I broke one of my strap wrenches separating the last two pieces.

Rafalema
04-28-2011, 06:05 AM
I got some parts stuck at some point as well.. Here's what I did:
1. Put the parts in the freezer for 2 hours
2. Take them out
3. With leather gloves, twist them apart
4. Lubricate the threads for future

The threads weren't damaged and they worked great after that. ;)

Loachri MacTalabh
04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice about stuck threads. However I have read them all before;
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?2767-Dealing-with-stuck-or-difficult-MHS-threads&highlight=stuck+threads
I statred this thread to just notify the community that I will not be spending money on builds until I get a job.

i highly recommend you start using the threading lubricant Tim sells in the store... it costs about as much as a stamp and it only takes a drop spread across the male ends. i have yet to use a whole tube.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Grease-P426.aspx

I will be buying the lube when I start re-building again. Saves my temperament and $$$.

Salohcin0083
05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
My condolenses. I feel for you. I just finished my first saber after a couple of sleepless nights.
I also had an issue with a missthread and a couple fried econo boards.
Good luck with all to come.

dgdve
05-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Everyone has made mistakes (consider it a learning process) Everyone has measured once and cut twice(when the opposite is true) Everyone has blown boards, led's, batteries (hard and sometimes expensive lessons) BUT Everyone who finally finishes that "one build" has a special someplace in their heart for it.. its the one where you finally break through the wall and ALL your future builds will reflect your new found.. wisdom

Its not easy to come on a forums and say "I've failed" or "Its got me".. I applaud your courage and I for one can tell as soon as your ready THIS saber will make a sweet finish.. my advice.. set it aside entirely.. play with some pvc or just something else to help clear your mind and build some alternate skillsets in the process.. then once your new job kicks in you can step back and "plan your attack"