PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Jėga
04-21-2011, 10:29 AM
So, for the past few days I have been reading, and reading, and I mean READING!!! I feel like my head is about to explode!!!!!.... Anyways.....

I have decided that I want to convert my MR Anakin ROTS lightsaber into a removabe red blade using Makotosai LEDs. My question is, if I were to make the red blade using his LEDs and not hook it up to the sound board, would the lightsaber still make the humming sounds and clashing sounds when turned on? I still want the sound, but I want to be able to switch the blades (the one that came with the sword, and the one that I would make).

I guess I should ask if it is possible to salvage the blade that comes with the sword if I were to remove it.

If this is all possible, awesome! If not, bummer.

Also, how much would it cost (estimation) to make a removable red Makotosai LED blade using the same amount of LEDs in the MR blade (at its cheapest)?

Help would be MUCH appreciated! Thank you!!! :D

Rafalema
04-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Well how could the LEDs be on if the thing wouldn't be hooked up to the board? :confused:

Jėga
04-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Okay, now I know they have to be connected to the board. lol

Is it possible to have two removable blades that can connect to the board? (Im pretty sure that is but, I want to make sure before I jack up the saber).

Rafalema
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Yes, I suppose that's possible, but you need to wire the MR board to have a quick connect, same with the blades.

You can re-use the stock blade, but here's a hint; There are resistors on the blade PCB. Remove/go around them. It'll make the blade brighter. (I did it and I'm happy with the results :cool:)

As for the price estimate, MR blade has 66 LEDs, and you want it red, assuming that you get everything in parts (blade tube for example) then it'll propably be around 70 $.
And while you're doing it, I strongly recommend in converting the saber to a metal bladeholder. You will not regret it.

Good luck!

Jėga
04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Okay, Thanks!!!

By quick connect, do you mean this?:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13553.0

And what does PCB mean?

(Im not tech savy for this kind of stuff... AT ALL. lol, so explanations are VERY helpfull)

And why do you suggest a metal blade holder as apposed to the one that comes with the MR saber?

Jedi-Loreen
04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
This question only needs one thread.

I moved the responses from the other one over here, which is the appropriate sub-forum, and deleted the redundant thread.

And what does PCB mean?

(Im not tech savy for this kind of stuff... AT ALL. lol, so explanations are VERY helpfull)
It simply means "Printed Circuit Board".

And why do you suggest a metal blade holder as apposed to the one that comes with the MR saber?
Because metal is stronger than plastic, especially if you want to try dueling with your saber. Though you probably won't (I hope, at least not more than lightly) with a string blade.

Jėga
04-21-2011, 12:00 PM
lol I didnt know where to put it so, I figured I would try both. But now I know! Thanks!

Jedi-Loreen
04-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Ok. But next time, just start one thread and put it in what you think is the most appropriate sub-forum. If it's not in the right spot, we'll move it for you.

Jėga
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks! And will do ;)

So, do you know what Rafalema means by a "quick connect"?

Rafalema
04-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Here's a pic of JST Quick Connectors from the store
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/media/ccp0/prodlg/JST.jpg

You put them on your wires, so that you can unplug/detach 2 wires from each other without unsoldering them.

Skottsaber
04-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Your first question was misunderstood. Yes, the saber sounds will still work without a blade installed. ;)

Jėga
04-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Wow, thank you so much! This really helps!