PDA

View Full Version : I'm back. Got some parts for my graflex :)

Waisulee
04-17-2011, 05:43 AM
So I finally got most of my parts in, yay. If I loaded the pic correctly it shows my graflex, premium speaker, lens with holder, blade holder with retention screw, blue rebel on heat sink, charge port (optional), MR Anakin sound board, and 14500 Lithium Batteries. I may just buy a battery pack or find a parallel holder, not sure at this point. Also have a bag of wires and heat shrink and blade - not shown.
Some questions:
- the lens and holder is loose. What's the best way to secure it? Was thinking thermal tape pads. Any thoughts?
- can't find a switch solution. Want to use a red button switch but can't find one. Another shop is out of stock. Any suggestions? Was thinking of a latching switch under the original red button, but just not sure what I'm looking for :S
Thanks in advance. Looking forward to working with y'all :D

jedimastergarcia87
04-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Nice. o_o You could try a stock latching switch but the newer type with the metal housing and go for an industrial look. Like without the switch cover and all. Or if that switch is tall enough then go for a switch cover. I'd give that a try though. Or get you that tactile switch (the tall one) then you can do the switch cover plate. All you need is the grips and then your set. :D How much was that graflex saber?

Waisulee
04-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the ideas, but not sure if that's what I'm going for. I really want a red button for a more traditional look. I actually have 2 vintage graflex's. One is going to be a light saber, the other I'm leaving as is. They both ran me approx $130 on ebay. A real deal for each :)

Jedi Mynock
04-18-2011, 10:15 AM
very nice!!! this is my unicorn saber. just need to get me a worthy sound card. *cough* ; )
you got a good deal. saw a front section and 3 cell rear section going seperately for about $30 each, so far. that's current bid with 1 day left. hmmm... some day...
congrats! and im sure you could fid the button either on another forum sale section or on ebay. reach out, search with your feelings... ; )

(lol had to edit as i called it my "unicron" saber! haha i also visit transformer forums lol)

slothfurnace
04-18-2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/ANHLukeFX/051.jpg

You can find small latching switchboards that fit under there, depending on the type of bladeholder you have. I couldn't tell by looking if it came from TCSS or not.

More details about this build here - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10921-slothfurnace-s-ANH-Graflex-(Full-crystal-chassis)

As far as the looseness of the bladeholder, you might try some of that aluminum tape to shim it, in strips, until it's snug, then using the screw to secure it.

Waisulee
04-19-2011, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the reply :) I was looking at these latching switches. I bought my blade holder from the graflex shop; I think the switch will fit. Any thoughts? Prob my best solution. The looseness of the blade holder is no prob, an easy fix. I was talking about the lens/lens holder that fits within the blade holder and on top of the led. when all put together there seems to be some space causing the lens/holder to jiggle loosely within the blade holder. I think placing a thermal pad or 2 under the led will help secure the lens. Any thoughts. Thanks :)

slothfurnace
04-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Those latching switches work perfectly with the blade holder you have from the GShop. It's what I used in my Gflex. Make sure to insulate it, so it doesn't short out against the blade holder.

You'll also have to pull the dome tab out of the redbutton so everything fits... like this:

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/ANHLukeFX/052.jpg

Waisulee
04-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Ah, sweet! I thought it would fit ;) Insulation, eh? What did you use to insulate it? Thanks for the tip on the dome. Great advice, thanks. Cudos on your saber. Truly inspirational work :D

Azmaria Dei
04-19-2011, 12:31 PM
a touch of PVC heatshrink works well for that.

Waisulee
04-21-2011, 05:05 AM
Ya, I'm sure the heatshrink would be my best bet ;) Thanks.