PDA

View Full Version : Broken Speaker

Big_Furry_Oaf
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
I ordered a premium speaker from the store. It arrived in a small box lined with cotton and seemed in good shape. When I started to solder I noticed a piece of plastic that holds the solder pads seemed to be lop sided or a little floppy. I got everything hooked up and started to screw in the pommel and this piece completely broke off.
Does anyone have any idea how to repair this? It looked like it was secured with some glue (not enough glue), but I doubt that would be enough to fix it.
I'm probably going to have to buy a new one but I literally got it in a half hour ago and would rather not if I can avoid it.

Azmaria Dei
04-15-2011, 10:16 AM
hmmm.... i would email Tim with a picture or two. sounds like you got a bad speaker. that happens pretty rarely. i've heard of people that pull them off though. no way to fix them after that.

Big_Furry_Oaf
04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Dang. It worked before, even though it seemed a bit floppy, but was making a sort of popping or hissing sound and the volume was pretty low.
I was putting it in without a holder or any padding to see how it would fit and hadn't finalized the heat shrink on every connection yet (because I correctly thought I may have to trim wires or something) and thought it was possibly grounding out inside the hilt. Once I got the pommel about halfway on it stopped working entirely, and when I unscrewed it the speaker fell out. I wasn't twisting the speaker or forcing anything, really. The wires were a bit too long and it may have been pushing against the pommel insert and broke off.
I don't know. I re-wired the hasbro speaker and it may just have to do for a while.