PDA

View Full Version : Just checking to see if I'm missing anything...

Inferno
04-15-2011, 06:52 AM
I believe I've ordered everything I'm going to need but I wanted to double check if there are some parts I still require aside from what's out of stock in the store.

Body With Respective Powder Coating of Black Chrome:

1 of: Hilt style 4 with standard style switch hole
1 of: MPS Pommel style 10
1 of: MPS Clip
1 of: MPS Insert style 6
1 of: MHS choke style 1
1 of: Screw on LED blade holder style 17
1 of: Activation box style 2
1 of: Black machined button for Covertec clip

Electronics and Optics:

1 of: Premium Speaker
1 of: Petit Crouton Sound Module
1 of: Seoul P4
1 of: Seoul P4 Lens Holder
1 of: Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
1 of: Star thermal tape pad
1 of: 2AA Battery holder
1 of: SPST Momentary red ring Illuminated switch.
1 of: Black momentary switch
1 of: 2.1mm Power Jack
1 of: Kill plug style 1

Screws and Misc:

2 of: 6-32 socket Head Cap Screw
1 of: 8-32 x 1/2" thumb screw
1 of: Covertec Clip
1 of: 8-32 x 3/8" socket head

I think the only thing truly I'm missing is the speaker mount cause the v3 is out of stock. I plan on using 2 protected Li-ions for the 7.2v power source. I already have 2 corbin style polycarb blades so I'm not too worried about that. Please inform me if I'm missing anything.

Crystal Chambers
04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
cool...

Heatshrink, JST connectors or quick connectors.

You may want to consider the 10 degree lens since it sends light wider that will be brought back to the core by the corbin film. If it's not bright or even enough for you, you can add some clear gift wrap inside the blade to even it out but you'll loose some of the core effect but it will have a nice effect still. Which corbin blade did you get?

bk_renesis
04-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Aaaah... You shouldn't be using protected cells to make 7.2v in-hilt rechargeable battery pack. You need to get unprotected cells and the 7.2v pcb which have to be soldered together and heatshrinked. This will also eliminate the need for a battery holder.

Azmaria Dei
04-15-2011, 03:13 PM
unless of course you plan on recharging them outside of the hilt.

Inferno
04-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Crystal Chambers:
Got plenty of heat shrink from when I did my MR conversions a couple of months back.:D
I thought about the quick connectors but decided against it cause it's not a very stable connection. As to the corbin blades I have, they are the 40" thick-walled with a dual wrap. I had used the 5 degree lenses in the conversions and was very happy with the light core effect on them.

bk_renesis:
As Azmaria Dei said, I plan on charging the batteries outside of the hilt to prevent any potential damage that may result from charging within the hilt. Besides, the PC-L is expensive and I don't want to see it taken out from a power surge or a Li-ion exploding. Sorry it wasn't clear when I first posted.

bk_renesis
04-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Crystal Chambers:
Got plenty of heat shrink from when I did my MR conversions a couple of months back.:D
I thought about the quick connectors but decided against it cause it's not a very stable connection. As to the corbin blades I have, they are the 40" thick-walled with a dual wrap. I had used the 5 degree lenses in the conversions and was very happy with the light core effect on them.

bk_renesis:
As Azmaria Dei said, I plan on charging the batteries outside of the hilt to prevent any potential damage that may result from charging within the hilt. Besides, the PC-L is expensive and I don't want to see it taken out from a power surge or a Li-ion exploding. Sorry it wasn't clear when I first posted.

Oh okay, I just assumed that you would be doing in-hilt recharge since you specified a 2.1mm recharge port and kill plug in your list. Silly me!

Also make sure to secure your batteries in your holder as a good whack will make them lose contact with the springs and reboot your PC-L. VERY ANNOYING!!!!

Inferno
04-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Oh okay, I just assumed that you would be doing in-hilt recharge since you specified a 2.1mm recharge port and kill plug in your list. Silly me!

Also make sure to secure your batteries in your holder as a good whack will make them lose contact with the springs and reboot your PC-L. VERY ANNOYING!!!!

No worries, I planed on using the charge port as a kill switch for storage.

Darth Scorn
04-30-2011, 09:14 PM
so you cant recharge the li-ion batteries in the 2 AA battery pack from the shop?

Boj-Vaati Mau
04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
"Also make sure to secure your batteries in your holder as a good whack will make them lose contact with the springs and reboot your PC-L. VERY ANNOYING!!!!"

Meaning shrink wrap the batteries in the holder and you should be fine. This is the plan I have and, as far as I know, will work.

Darth Scorn
05-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Many thanks I got worried for a minute there I have already ordered all the parts thanks again

bk_renesis
05-01-2011, 02:06 AM
"Also make sure to secure your batteries in your holder as a good whack will make them lose contact with the springs and reboot your PC-L. VERY ANNOYING!!!!"

Meaning shrink wrap the batteries in the holder and you should be fine. This is the plan I have and, as far as I know, will work.

Considering he's not doing in-hilt recharge, that's not good. Unless you mean individually heat shrinking each battery and then inserting them in the holder to reduce movement, that works well but isn't foolproof.

Boj-Vaati Mau
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I forget that the batteries are to be removeable...a couple of small zip ties should do the trick then.

Darth Scorn
05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Its going to be in hilt charging so as long as my batteries are secure everything will work out?

Inferno
05-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I was planning on zip ties for securing them. But I may have to re-concider a in hilt charging method. I created a speaker mount/battery holder and while it's very stable, I've no room to mount the PC-L on top of the Battery holder and almost no space left in the hilt for the board and wires.

bk_renesis
05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I was planning on zip ties for securing them. But I may have to re-concider a in hilt charging method. I created a speaker mount/battery holder and while it's very stable, I've no room to mount the PC-L on top of the Battery holder and almost no space left in the hilt for the board and wires.

Have you considered using a single 18500/18650 li-ion cell instead? Should give you plenty of room.

Inferno
05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm still having to use 2 batteries to make the 7.2v-7.4v sweet spot for the PC-L. I think I'm gonna have to post some pics in the general hilt building area for some sugjestions for saving space.

Jay-gon Jinn
05-01-2011, 10:56 PM
so you cant recharge the li-ion batteries in the 2 AA battery pack from the shop?

Its going to be in hilt charging so as long as my batteries are secure everything will work out?
This depends on which Li-ions you have ordered. The Trustfires 14500's that the store sells are individually protected and it is generally not good practice to charge them together in the two AA holder. Battery chemistry differs between two cells, and one of them will likely charge faster than the other, resulting in an uneven charge and a shorter run time for your saber. If you want to do in-hilt recharge you are much better off using the un-protected Tenergy 14500's and making a pack using a protection pcb meant for two cells like the one TCSS sells.

Darth Scorn
05-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I had planed on using the unprotected ones they are out of stock so I have everything but a power source I have the 2Aa battery holder what do you suggest?

Azmaria Dei
05-03-2011, 01:54 AM
i suggest waiting a little while longer and seeing if Tim restocks them soon.

Darth Scorn
05-03-2011, 09:23 AM
That is my plan just want to make sure this will work as I'm sure you are aware this is not a very cheap hobby