PDA

View Full Version : Another Galen Marek hilt.

Mexxo
04-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the comments already but i'm moving onto my own design.

Merci,

Mexxo

Rafalema
04-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Your 2. pic has no middle section you know.
Is this where you would position the crystal chamber?

'Cause if you're going for screen accuracy then the chamber needs to be higher up in the hilt.

For the electronics, I recommend the Petit Crouton and the Darkmeat soundfont.

Mexxo
04-10-2011, 08:13 AM
I don't really mind about sound for the electronics, I'd just prefer the crystal chamber to be illuminated.

i just had a total brainwave and totally changed my idea, brb i've gota go plan something then ill be back to show my new idea.

Rafalema
04-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Definitely go for a custom cut extension if your budget allows.

Trust me, if you go with the PC Darkmeat, it's expensive, but I can guarantee that you will be a LOT happier than you would've been without sound. And after that, a main LED is easy to just throw in, if you don't really like the blades then just get a blade plug, it will look so much better. :cool:

With PC, you should go with a pair of 3.7v Li-Ion batteries.

For the chamber, you could use the chassis parts from the store.

Mexxo
04-10-2011, 09:33 AM
well my new idea was to use a 9inch extension powder coated black with a 2 inch cutout for the chamber then for the grip I would use the sleeve material and then have the small black bit sticking out the back as in http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LBoiJX-K6F8/S_QAP36nfoI/AAAAAAAAA3s/WETDwvbr7VY/s1600/+Galen+Marek+I.lightsaber20.jpg

the darkmeat is currently abit to expensive, ill look into just making the led section work first.

thanks for your help.

Rafalema
04-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Ah, that plan sounds quite good.

Maybe you should start with just the crystal LED, and after that, save some money, and install a PC and main LED.

For the crystal chamber, simple stuff is usually quite good. Like the stuff from the store, build a basic one with LED bezel as your crystal mount (hot glue), and for example, wrap the support wires in brass wire or something.

Good luck on your build! :cool:

Mexxo
04-10-2011, 09:41 AM
yeah that sounds like a good plan thanks for your help, hopefully I can purchase all the parts soon and then start work, when they arrive and I start working I'll post up some pictures.

Jedi-Loreen
04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
You're going to want a brighter LED to light up the crystal than what's available in the store, though. Those accent LEDs aren't bright on purpose, so you don't blind people with them on the outside of your hilt.

If you have a Radio Shack, or equivalent, in your area, get a high output red LED. They will have a clear, not colored, casing.

Mexxo
04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Ive changed my design abit i was fiddling around in pro desktop designing it, decided instead of a crystal chamber I'd wrap some leather and go half starkiller half kota.

about the led would you reccomend not getting one from the store at all and heading to radio shack, I don't mind if its not to bright I'm mainly getting one just for the lighting effect not intending to buy a blade.

Jedi-Loreen
04-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I was talking about the LED for your crystal chamber, which you now are not going to do. The accent LEDs in the Store aren't bright enough to illuminate a crystal very well.

Certainly get your main LED from the Store here.

You won't find the high powered LEDs we use for the blades at Radio Shack, anyway.

Mexxo
04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Turns out i am doing a crystal chamber :P i'm very in decisive i decided to do a custom blade just for myself, that might be slightly starkiller inspired. i'll check into that LED then thanks