PDA

View Full Version : First MHS Saber Complete!

Rei
03-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Hey there,

I've been wanting to have my own custom saber for a long time, when I found the MHS I got super excited that I could design and solder my own way to lightsaber owner. While I like trawling the other sites that build for you, I've always been a hobbyist and the Custom Saber Shop just felt right. Much love!

I perused the forums, shop and MHS for a few months making a parts list and reading all the tips and tutorials to get an idea of what I could build, as well as what I wanted to build. A big thank you to everyone who's contributed, it was all good knowledge. I knew I eventually wanted a custom sheathed, sounded boarded, rechargeable (you get the picture) complex build, but as I hadn't picked up the soldering iron in a few years knew that might not be the best place to start. So I built this concept saber to make sure I was up to the challenge.

It's safe to say I'm now completely hooked. I already have a design going for my second build, I'll definitely be posting for feedback on the layout and circuit diagrams soon. First though, a few pictures of the build!

Thanks again for making this awesome hobby possible!

5009 5012 5010 5011 5013

Azmaria Dei
03-28-2011, 02:50 AM
beautiful! Tim's powdercoating is really nice, isn't it? did you get a blade for it yet? did you name it? ^_^

welcome to the hobby! ^_^

ElbE121
03-28-2011, 08:00 AM
Nice design for your first saber. Is the blade holder powder coated in black chrome?

jedimastergarcia87
03-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Way nice saber. What soundboard does this come with if you got one? Petit Crouton? Make a video if you can if thats the soundboard you got for your saber.

Azmaria Dei
03-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Way nice saber. What soundboard does this come with if you got one? Petit Crouton? Make a video if you can if thats the soundboard you got for your saber.

judging by the lineup of all the parts in the first picture, and the lack of any sound hardware, i'm guessing there is no sound.

Rafalema
03-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Wow... :cool:

What color is that on the emitter? That's really something :cool::cool:

jin starkiller
03-28-2011, 11:32 AM
very nicely done for your first MHS saber

Johst Chora
03-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Nice saber love the color of the emitter!

Rei
03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

I did get a blade for it (pics attached). Just a 30" show one though, I have something else in mind for my battle blade :)
I haven't come up with a name for this one yet…

Tim's powder coating is indeed super awesome! The blade holder is Black Chrome, as are the insets on the bottom extender. The other two coated parts are Sun Gold.

No soundboard in this one, the second saber will have a Petit Crouton for sure.

My biggest learning experience from this build: while directly soldering everything together works fine, wire connectors are the way to go for the future.

5015 5014

TimeRender
03-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Gosh that black chrome is gorgeous... You should go post a few pictures of that over in the Powder Coating forum so customers will know how it looks.

Azmaria Dei
03-28-2011, 10:09 PM
My biggest learning experience from this build: while directly soldering everything together works fine, wire connectors are the way to go for the future.

wire connectors take too much room. JST connectors are ok though, for the most part. also, don't do any thru-hole soldering on it either.

dgdve
03-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Jst connectors are great for swapping led's but they are bulky, you can use micro jst connectors for switches and stuff (they dont take up much room at all) and yes they help immensly

about your build: your design is very(very) strong.. so I really cant wait to see you upgrade this with some sound, imho it deserves it

Knighthammer
03-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Very good looking saber. I love the black chrome.
What's the thumb screw on the side of the sun gold "gear" piece?

Rei
03-31-2011, 12:41 AM
I may have to go back and do some work on it in the future, it might be a good FX conversion project... If I do go back, micro jst's!

Thumb screw is for simulated blade length adjuster, gotta be able to cut through those doors :)

Side note: my wifes not a huge SW fan, but she wants one now too. Though her's has to be small and have neon parts lol!

Sloda Foade
04-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Good first saber, I have the MHS gear part in sun gold on my saber as well, but at the other end of the hilt. Are you going to do any paint or shroud work on the grip area? I love that emitter, I think I have found the PC colour for my next saber. That looks just like weathered steel.
You really must put a sound board in there, even if it is only a cheapy hasbro Obi 2011 sound card. It will just set this saber off.

bk_renesis
04-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Good first saber, I have the MHS gear part in sun gold on my saber as well, but at the other end of the hilt. Are you going to do any paint or shroud work on the grip area? I love that emitter, I think I have found the PC colour for my next saber. That looks just like weathered steel.
You really must put a sound board in there, even if it is only a cheapy hasbro Obi 2011 sound card. It will just set this saber off.

x2 needs sound, the pc is awesome but i think a lighted AV switch would be cool too

dgdve
04-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Side note: my wifes not a huge SW fan, but she wants one now too. Though her's has to be small and have neon parts lol!

pfft.. sounds like your next build is knocking at the door.. problem is.. thats the bedroom door (better do this one good!), Cant wait to see what ya got planned!