PDA

View Full Version : Heat Shrink for Battery Packs?

Crimsonjedi
03-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey Everyone,
So I am building a new saber and want to put in a rechargeable battery pack. I have been reading and researching here and believe I can build the pack. I have just two small questions about heatshrink for the pack. What is the best type/size to use? Where should I get it from? I have gotten everything for this saber from Tim except the battery pack wrap, which he does not sell. So I was hoping to get a little advice from everyone. Thanks!

jin starkiller
03-22-2011, 12:38 PM
due to the fact that this forum is attached to the store no links will be providede

Google heatsrink and you will find what you are looking for

as to what people use it depends if you are doing 3.7 v or if you are doing a barrel roll

like the tutorial http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6985

depends on which way you go will depend on the size of heatsrink

Crimsonjedi
03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I am well aware that the forum is linked to the shop. Since Tim does not sell such an item, I did not see the harm in asking for a brand and size. I have googled for the item and have found different sites, different types, and different sizes. You make a good point about size, though. I should have thought to put that. Just making a two AA battery pack using the tenergy batteries from the store. Thank you

jin starkiller
03-22-2011, 01:01 PM
The shop sell heatsrink is why we don't link outside sources for it

as to the size i believe 1 1/4 or 1 inch will suit not positive though

question are you using a PCB too might be difference if you are

Crimsonjedi
03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
thank you for the size suggestion and no, no PCB at this time

jin starkiller
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
no problem but with using other sites for the heatsrink shipping is a little costly so if u gonna order ...order at least 5 to 10 feet to save on shipping costs

Sunrider
03-22-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't think the store sells shrink wrap. This is different from heat shrink for wires.

Loachri MacTalabh
03-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Sunrider is right, the shop doesn't sell heat shrink for making packs. Shrink wrap is what they make gift baskets with. You can all so use a high temp tape. Az and J-Lo have covered this in other threads.http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?12436-Shrink-wrapped-hilts...Mats&highlight=shrink+wrap

Azmaria Dei
03-22-2011, 06:44 PM
if you google 'shrink sleeve matrix' the first link should take you to a nice chart with all the sizes for what pack you need. also, be sure to get PVC heatshrink too. much thinner and perfect for batteries.

Crimsonjedi
03-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks Azmaria and Loachri for the helpful tidbits of info.