PDA

View Full Version : Hilt wiring help please!

linkingdots
03-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm gonna use the following parts for my saber set up but i have no idea if i'm missing anything or how things are supposed to be wired(electronics idiot). Would very much appreciate any help given thanks! =)

Luxeon Rebel Star Green
Hasbro Obi-wan sound card (economy version)
TCSS premium speaker
DPDT Momentary yellow illuminated switch
Gonna use 6 AAA alkaline batteries to power my saber. (not gonna use it for much other than being a display piece)

Thank you!

jin starkiller
03-16-2011, 03:55 PM
need to know whether you going with the resistor setup or buckpuck

also a parts list would be helpful

if you aren't going with a switch box then you will need a bezel for the DPDT switch

I see that you are going for 4AAA batteries I would recommend, and a recharge port and PCB and do a rechargeable setup will cost you less in the long run

Don't forget the PNP transister for the soundboard

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 04:47 PM
please see the link in my sig.

and why 6AAA batteries? that sort of voltage will fry the whole thing.

linkingdots
03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
please see the link in my sig.

and why 6AAA batteries? that sort of voltage will fry the whole thing.

i've seen the diagrams and i've got a rough idea of what i have to do.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/wadeh13/Wiring%20Diagrams%20and%20reviews/Economy%20Boards/2010ModifiedBasicrev01-10-2011.png

is this the one i'm suppose to follow? and also i'm not too sure how to wire up my switch as they say i require a resistor. can you explain that part please?

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 10:22 PM
6AAA alkalines gives you 9V - too high.

and a switch LED will be wired in parallel with the main LED and resistor.

Skottsaber
03-17-2011, 02:33 AM
Yeah more voltage doesn't mean better (in this case).
You will be fine with 4AAA, or if you have the space, 4AA.

linkingdots
03-17-2011, 02:59 AM
okay. thanks! hmmm... by wiring parallel means i have to do a Y splice for the wires right? and how do i know which resistor to use? And what is a power transistor for?

Azmaria Dei
03-17-2011, 03:48 AM
you go to the resistor chart in the store and it tells you. all resistors are power resistors, but the larger ones can take more power going through them.

and yes, you'll need a Y splice off of the transistor and another one to bring them back together after the LEDs.

Tanimal
03-17-2011, 09:05 AM
the transistor kind of acts like a switch. The soundboard only puts out somewhere around 30ma and you need around 1000ma. The transistor detects when a current is coming from the soundboard and then closes the circuit between the battery pack and the led.

bk_renesis
03-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Or you can go with a single 18650 li-ion with a recharge port and wire the switch led to the main power (with resistor) for a power on indicator. Single cell, rechargeable, kill switch and monster run times. There's another diagram in the thread you were referred to which shows you how to wire in a recharge port. I'm pretty sure those in the know will chime in if you want to go with that option. Heck, my daughters PVC saber uses it too.

A tip42 transistor is the most common used one (I used to use the tip42c) and you wouldn't need a dpdt switch either. A spst will work just fine.

jin starkiller
03-17-2011, 03:53 PM
here the econo board wiring diagram with recharge port