PDA

View Full Version : Potentiometer Hookup Question

Master Valon
03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Hey guys! I was just wondering real quick how to hook up a linear taper potentiometer to a simple circuit setup. My set up is: 14.8V Li-ion battery pack, recharge port, SPST switch, 1000mA Buckpuck, and 10W Deep Red ledengin LED. So, is it really as simple as buying a potentiometer at my local electronics store and wiring the two extra wires in the 6-wire BuckPuck to the Pos./neg. terminals on the 'meter? I noticed there are 3 prongs on the 'meter, so I guess my main question is if I have to wire anything to that 3rd terminal. Thanks a lot!:)

Edit: Also what specs am I looking at here for the potentiometer? 1K Ohms? 10K? 300K?

Sunrider
03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Since that led is not that bright I think you will want to give it full power. Try that first.

Master Valon
03-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Ok, I guess I don't wanna overcomplicate things. When you say not that bright, even though its gunna be an overdriven 10W, its not gunna be dull or anything, right? Like, it'll definitely be brighter than a red P4 (hopefully???)?

Sunrider
03-15-2011, 09:31 PM
You will see, but know this led is intended for Clorophil, (underwater plants).

Master Valon
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Ok, well, I guess I'll have to wait and see then. Can I at least hope for brighter than a lux III?

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 03:00 PM
i have one and it's a fair bit brighter than my P4 red and a deeper shade too. in fact, i would describe it as blood red.

Master Valon
03-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Ok cool, that's all I wanted to hear! Did you wire it with Li-ions, as well? If so, is the recharge port easy to hook up in correspondence with a buckpuck?

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
all my sabers have recharge ports and Li-Ions. wiring it up with a puck is just the same. just plug and play scematics.

Master Valon
03-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Ok, that's also reassuring. This will be my first Li-ion set up so I just wanna make sure I get it right. So just to make sure, battery pos. Goes to middle terminal on recharge port, battery neg. To left terminal, one switch lead to middle terminal, buck puck pos. To other switch lead and buck puck neg. To right terminal on recharge port, then you would just have the two led leads? At least, this is what someone here told me, but just want to double check so I can be readY when it all comes!

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 03:21 PM
that sounds wrong somehow... check the recharge port wiring thread and go by the second picture there. i have that printed off and on my workbench all the time for reference.

off of memory, it's board and bat pos on the right tab, bat neg on the center one, and board neg on the left one.

Master Valon
03-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh ok, so where the switch symbol is branching from the board neg and battery neg means that one switch lead would be on the left terminal and the other would go on the middle one, and both battery and puck positives would go to the right terminal?

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 03:38 PM
that sounds about right. your term of switch is confusing though. the port has a switch inside of it, but it's more of a port or plug...

Master Valon
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh, I wasn't referring to the port,I was referring to a separate "master power" SPST guarded switch from the store. I can use one of those in addition to the port, right?

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
of course - i do that all the time. the line going to the switch would be on the right and the bat neg would be in the center.

Master Valon
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Uhhh... Now I'm confused. That's a little different than the diagram in corbin's thread. Is there any way you could post a diagram of how it should go with my setup? Sorry, I'm just more of a visual learner, and I know I will get it the instant I see a picture.

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 04:40 PM
the switch can go on either line. just use one. this is basically what i'm gathering you'll have in your saber.

Master Valon
03-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Perfect!!! Thank you so much Az, this is exactly what I needed. I will heed the quote in your sig! :)

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 05:32 PM
any time ^_^