1000 ma buckpuck
obi wan econo soundboard

crystal chamber also

3 chasis disc style 1
4-40 threaded rod
3/16 od tube
brass wire
nuts

he wants blade stock between the 2 blade holders and footman loops to hold it together

I was wondering if this would look right as a saber
the guy wants it ...to me it just doesn't look right in my head is all

opinions wanted here

Azmaria Dei
03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
sometimes the customer wants the impossible.... as for the actual MHS part setup, it looks insanely long, but should be workable. i suppose he wants that little bit in the middle lit up too?

i do know one thing - if you build this thing, i want to see pictures!

jin starkiller
03-15-2011, 03:47 PM
yes he wants it lit up too ......just not sure of the actual blade length for it though ......not sure of a blade length that would look good with ...any suggestion on the blade length

I will post WIP pictures when actually start the build

Azmaria Dei
03-15-2011, 04:06 PM
if it were me, here's how i would do it... put a separate battery/led/charge setup with no switch and just a killkey in the 'pommel' end and a mirror at the other end of the joining blade stock. i would probably use a Lux1 for that since it doesn't need to light up but a few inches (recommend about 3 inches exposed). 10 degree lense for it as well. then in the other end, put the main saber hardware. main LED, battery, crystal chamber, soundboard, recharge port, speaker, etc... then baffle and vent the speaker out the crystal chamber.

but it's your build, so go at it how best you feel. ^_^ you have the task and will have the parts to fit things together and i don't, though now that i think about it, the whole concept does sound like a VERY interesting idea... might have to build one later once yours starts forming. ^_^

jin starkiller
03-15-2011, 04:24 PM
yea i've got all the parts on hand already ....just still trying to picture the whole thing without unwrapping all my parts is all .....see i had to pull everthing out and try and fit it looks like i won't be able to put a crystal chamber in the ribbed choke combo and the 2 inch extension....2.75 inches in that and then just under an inch in the 2" extension .....so i won't be able to put the chamber there might have to go maybe with a pommel chamber....... thanks for the advice ......:)

here are the first set of wip pictures

Jedi-Loreen
03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Wow. :shock:

How long is that thing?

jin starkiller
03-16-2011, 04:19 PM
just shy of 20"

IndustrialAction
03-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Wow, I mean, I know, size really does matter but once he puts a blade in it, that will be ridiculous. Good luck my friend!

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 04:55 PM
size matters not... and in this case that's just too big...

Jedi-Loreen
03-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Sorry, but your friend has no eye for design, either. It looks like a bunch of random parts thrown together, IMO.

But he's the one that has to like it.

Azmaria Dei
03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Sorry, but your friend has no eye for design, either. It looks like a bunch of random parts thrown together, IMO.

But he's the one that has to like it.

i couldn't agree more.

Sunrider
03-16-2011, 06:15 PM
That looks structurally bad in the middle. If you try dueling with it the bottom half is gonna detach. :o

IndustrialAction
03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Frankly, I never understood the whole door handle thing. There are more asthetically pleasing parts that can be used to get a similar effect. To each his (or her) own I guess...

jin starkiller
03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
That looks structurally bad in the middle. If you try dueling with it the bottom half is gonna detach. :o

true it looks as it would be unsafe to duel with maybe he needs to rethink the design

Frankly, I never understood the whole door handle thing. There are more asthetically pleasing parts that can be used to get a similar effect. To each his (or her) own I guess...

ok so what would you suggest that would be more apealing and keeping with the design
Thanks

might also try and talk some sense into him and go with

BH 6
choke combo
4" extension
4" double female grooved
pommel 8
clamp

think this would be a better alternative to the beast that he wants and keeps most of the same design

IndustrialAction
03-17-2011, 07:48 PM
ok so what would you suggest that would be more apealing and keeping with the design
Thanks

Well, here are some cool options I found in a quick search. Some take more work to integrate than others but that's half the fun, right? LOL! The last one pictured is my favorite! In fact, that might make its way on to my next saber.

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/images/cabinet_knobs_pulls/anneathome/aah-1002-1.jpg

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/images/cabinet_knobs_pulls/anneathome/aah-1027-8.jpg

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/images/cabinet_knobs_pulls/anneathome/aah-1048-2.jpg

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/images/cabinet_knobs_pulls/providence/pro-azc-204-4b-3.jpg

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/images/cabinet_knobs_pulls/providence/pro-azc-206-pol-4.jpg

Sunrider
03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
If you say so. ;)

Azmaria Dei
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
they all look like drawer handles and towel racks...

and there's still a lot of stress in the angles on those.

IndustrialAction
03-17-2011, 08:15 PM
They are drawer handles, LOL. I, personally, wouldn't use them in a structural portion of the set-up but I can see some places where I could integrate them.

Sunrider
03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
I myself cannot. :?

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU4MjE2NzEyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTMwMzY2._V1._ SX485_SY327_.jpg

jin starkiller
03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Well I finally convinced him that this would not be structuarally sound and decided to go with a similiar design

BH 6
4" extension
4" double female grooved
Pommel #8
insert style 12
Clamp

and he also wanted to keep the other parts so he decided on doing a ...detonator out of it that lights up

BH #1 (2)
2" extension(2)
Pommel #8 (2)
Pommel inserts
Style 12
style 9

will post Wip pics soon

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

jin starkiller
03-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Sorry for the double post here

friend wants his detonator to have the led to blink any suggestions here would be helpful

Sunrider
03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Use a blinking led?

cardcollector
03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Sorry for the double post here

friend wants his detonator to have the led to blink any suggestions here would be helpful

Search for thermal detonator ice cream scoop and you should get something...

jin starkiller
03-20-2011, 03:17 PM
@ CC will try that and see what i can turn up ..thanx

@ sunrider he wants to use a p4 led and wants it ti blink on and off every few seconds

is this possible with some kind of a circuit

Sunrider
03-20-2011, 04:09 PM
A P4 is gonna blind someone. Google flashing led kit, there are many.

Big_Furry_Oaf
03-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Personally, I don't dislike the original design. It's not much of a "saber" though. Maybe if he goes for a shorter blade it can be similar to a Chinese war sword or a double bladed saber with... well, one blade.
http://getasword.com/433-590-large/cold-steel-chinese-war-sword-88cws.jpg
Hilt length is really just personal preference. Most saber hilts in the film were 11 to 11.5 inches long. Most sabers I see here are 12 to 15. I don't recall many with exposed crystals or blinking lights either, so you can do your own thing.
Will he use it for dueling at all? If not, if you can find a way to re-enforce the middle of the original design, it wouldn't be so bad. It kind of looks like an oboe or something, though. And I'd maybe do away with the activation box. It also resembles 2 complete sabers that are stuck together.

Azmaria Dei
03-20-2011, 06:02 PM
a 3-4 handed greatsword type saber with a lower detatchable saber dagger... O.o

Tim, we need that coupler! ^_^