PDA

View Full Version : New member from Alabama needs advice

Shylah
03-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Hello all! I've been thinking about jumping into this hobby for about a month now, and just decided to take the plunge. Your site is very inspirational, and it just looks like a lot of fun.

So... I took a crack at a parts list for my first saber. Could you guys take a look and let me know if I forgot anything? Also, I read somewhere that we could overdrive green and blue 700 mA LEDs with 1000 mA drivers.... since I am building a cyan blade, should I get a 1000 mA BuckPuck driver rather than the 700 mA one? Any help would be most appreciated... this is a little daunting, but I want to jump right in! ;-)

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad158/lhkrause/order-1.png

IndustrialAction
03-15-2011, 05:38 AM
You can overdrive the rebel to 1000mA but that is the max specs on it. I don't know if I would constantly drive it to the max. I have a PC-L in my build and am driving the Cyan star at 750mA.

Can you post a render of the build?

Boj-Vaati Mau
03-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Something like this?

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/Jecull/Lightsabers/BamaSaber.png

Ari-Jaq Xulden
03-15-2011, 06:15 AM
I see O-rings in your render. Also not on your list- batteries, recharge port ( if you plan to do that) and yes you could go with the 1000ma buck, it will run the led brighter. it will just run it for 25-30 years instead of say 50 years. That is to say it slightly decreases the life span of the led. Oh and you may want to consider a pommel insert and clip unless you plan to make your own(sink drain cover).

Azmaria Dei
03-15-2011, 06:23 AM
actually, the lifespan of the LED if you run it for 6 hours a day every day should be around 47 years instead of 120. if you reach that point, i'm sure someone will buy you a new LED for actually doing it. anyway, yes the max specs on the rebels is 1000mA and they're happy running at that. anything more and you void the warranty.

Shylah
03-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Hey, thanks all for the feedback. The rendered output is exactly what I had in mind. O-rings are on the list already (about 2/3 the way down the list), but I had forgotten about the batteries and recharge port. (Wouldn't have gotten very far without those!) Had no idea about the pommel insert and clip. And I will definitely swap out the 700 mA driver for the 1000 mA one. I'm glad I posted this before placing my order!

OK... back to the shopping cart... gonna wait a little longer to see if there are any other suggestions... it's exciting!

Ari-Jaq Xulden
03-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Ah didn't see the o-rings on the list. As far as the batteries because you need good voltage for bucks, it depends on your power solution, but you made need accessories(PCB, holder). Also unless you have wire or plan to buy it locally, that could be a consideration. Honestly I could go on endlessly. chassis disks, rods, nuts (for holding internals). You just have to do a lot of reading and more planning. look at a lot of other sabers and how they were made. Some people just need to do a basic order to get the hands on approach. Rarely Have I seen people get it right on the first order. They wind up wanting to add sound or changing something.

Jedi-Loreen
03-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the Forums. I'm moving your thread to the Parts Lists section.

Shylah
03-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey thanks! Yeah, I found the parts list forum after I had already posted in the newbie forum... will read through these posts too. :)