PDA

View Full Version : My Jedi costume

DarthRevenchist89
03-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Here is my first Jedi costume. It took quite a long time and quite a few finger stabbings. Any critiques or suggestions are welcome. I am having a problem with the belt. I cant get it sintched tight enough. I lost some weight since I had it made. I used the Simpilcity pattern 0579(I've had it forever just was't motivated enough to start it) for the cloak and the tabbard, the belt is from Lightspeed Imports, and the boots are just crappy costume store Anakin boots with the front shin gaurd removed.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4944&d=1299286125

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4943&d=1299286124

Jedi-Loreen
03-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Looks pretty good to me. :)

Did you take a pic with your robe hood up?

DarthRevenchist89
03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
No, but I can. The hood is VERY deep. It can cover my entire head.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Looks very nice! Is it just me, or is the left sleeve a bit longer than the right?

Boj-Vaati Mau
03-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Looking good, young Jedi! Sewing gets easier with practice &, I would guess, now that you're done you wondered whay you waited to do this project. RE: the belt; if you have a set of rotary punch pliers you could mark out and punch holes in 1/4" or 1/2" increments to get it fitted down. Check out Tandy Leather Factory's website for those bits

Jedi-Loreen
03-05-2011, 06:01 AM
What method is used for keeping the belt closed? Snaps, button stud screw posts, or Velcro?

I don't know if Boj is talking about adding snaps to your belt? Though he only mentions punching holes. I would not put holes as close together as 1/4" apart, no closer than 1/2" if you want to keep the strength of the leather. I've been doing leather work for about 8 years, so I may be able to give you some more tips about fixing your belt to cinch up tighter.

DarthRevenchist89
03-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Now that I look at the picture I think it is a little bit longer, beacuse across my shoulders it is flat. It might be that it is pulled a little to the left but I will take a look at it. It could have been that I cut them both at the same time and I didn't have them alligned correctly. As for the belt it has two studs in the back with a matching row of holes on the opposite side. I messed with it a little last night and found that it isn't too uncomfortable to go the next set of holes but it is a little tight. What i might try is to make an under shirt that is a little bit thicker so that it will snug up a little.

Jedi-Loreen
03-05-2011, 11:35 AM
If you're going to be wearing your costume to Conventions or other events, you really want your belt as tight as you can stand it. That way, it won't sag on the side where you carry your lightsaber after you've been walking around for a while.

Loose, saggy belts is one of my pet peeves about Jedi costumers.

Loachri MacTalabh
03-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Looks good, In fact it looks like an apprentice of Trisha Biggar Made it, Good job.:D I am jealous, I haven't even started mine yet.

Boj-Vaati Mau
03-06-2011, 01:10 AM
That's what I was on about, the holes in the back. the description of the belt says that "Fastens at the rear by matching up 2 nipple studs to any set of 6 adjustment holes." But his belt has some aditional adjustment on it so my suggestion became superflous. How much material do you have in your obi? You might be able to take a bit out of that to get the fit that Jedi-Loreen's talking about.

obiwanwasabi
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Nice job mate. I appreciate the sort of effort that goes into these things after deciding last year, at short notice, that my two sons and I would go in full Jedi garb to my nieces' birthday party. "How hard could it be?" said I. Quite, as it turned out ;)

DarthRevenchist89
03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I have discovered that the outer, thinner belt, where I have the covertec clip attached, was the problem. It is a bit longer then that what it is attached to. I think I can fix it myself without any problem. I also heard back today that I was accepted into the Jedi Assembly. Next step is to try for the Rebel Legion, but I will make some modifications first.

Jedi-Loreen
03-07-2011, 01:36 PM
You're "supposed" to wear the Covertec clip on the wider belt. But personally, I think it's dumb to put it there, since the actual clip isn't made for belts that are that wide and it doesn't lock around it.

So I always use the thinner belt, but since I make my own belts, I rivet that belt to the wider one in a couple spots on each side to make it stronger to hold my saber. The rivets on the right side, where there's no saber are just there to make it look symmetrical.

DarthRevenchist89
03-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I looked at it and the the thinner belt is riveted in the back on each side, than it goes through a set of these http://www.sdtradingco.com/hardware/buttonstuds.htm on each side and than to the buckle in the front. But there is a loop of leather in the front on each side that is riveted through the thinner belt and through the wider belt. I missed that when I made my previous statement about being able to fix it no problem. I'll figure it out eventually.

Boj-Vaati Mau
03-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Good man! Keep at it, ask when needed, & a solution will come. Congratulations on making the Assembly.

Viper1
03-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Good on you for having ago at making your own costume. I started work some time ago on a Star Trek Wrath of Khan uniform and was amazed at how quickly you can develop your sewing skills and how enjoyable it is.

Keep it up my good man!