PDA

View Full Version : Double ended male threaded connector style 2

Outside Enemy
02-28-2011, 10:21 AM
My question is simple: when might this new MHS part (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Double-ended-male-threaded-connector-style-2-P611.aspx) be functionally or aesthetically pleasing? In theory, perhaps, I like what this part is doing. However, having played around in MHS Builder, I'm having a hard time seeing a situation in which this part would look good on a saber, or add to the functionality qua dueling rather than simply be in the way.

I haven't seen any hilts using this part (though I would really appreciate any links to hilts I've missed), and I just can't see it.

Illuminate me: when would I want to use this? (other than to connect two female parts and add more length than the other M-M adapter)

TimeRender
02-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Don't you think it's a little bit inappropriate to post complaints about the design of a part on the forum linked to the store that sells it? If you don't like the part, don't buy it. There are a lot of other parts to choose from. Otherwise watch your tone. Also, it IS a new part, so you can't expect to find pictures of hilts that use it on the forum just yet. Finally, while I agree that this might not be comfortable for a single bladed design, I could definitely see it being used on a double. Just because you haven't seen a good use of the part YET doesn't mean that it doesn't have one.

Alcfalath
02-28-2011, 10:35 AM
1st off, I would suggest to use your imagination and creativity to find where this could fit. Some people will like this, others will not. You also posed an 'In theory' query, without actually describing what you thought. This can go quite a way to members helping with your theory.

One of the main reasons that you would not have seen this on other hilts as of yet is simply due to how new it is in the store. In theory, a person 'could' have been able to post one of these in action, but had very little time to assemble anything. Patience will yeild your results here.

Lastly, on your final point: Food for Thought wise, it is extremely easier to twist off this piece as opposed to a standard flush double male, especially if it gets a little tight. As a piece, maybe experimentation with a Mace/Hammer style Hilt might give you an idea.. Think Creatively and ideas/thoughts will come to you.

Invisas1979
02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Illuminate me: when would I want to use this? (other than to connect two female parts and add more length than the other M-M adapter)

There you go......

Outside Enemy
02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Don't you think it's a little bit inappropriate to post complaints about the design of a part on the forum linked to the store that sells it?

I don't mean to derail my own thread, but I have to take issue with this. I've noticed that, at times, questions on these forums are pounced upon as 'criticisms' and that criticism isn't welcome here. I never suggest that the part is bad. I never suggested that no one should buy it, or that TCSS shouldn't sell it. The use of the part isn't apparent to me… it strikes me, at least, as a legitimate question.

1st off, I would suggest to use your imagination and creativity to find where this could fit. Some people will like this, others will not. You also posed an 'In theory' query, without actually describing what you thought. This can go quite a way to members helping with your theory.

As I suggested, my imagination isn't as powerful as yours. Of course some people will like it and some won't… do you like it? Why not tell me about it? Also, you make a lot of assumptions about what I thought given that I didn't describe what I thought, or so you say.

There you go......

Useful, certainly, but not as useful as it could be. Another way to ask the question might be: why would you use this piece rather than some other solution? Does this piece add something aesthetically? Does it add some function that cannot be obtained another way? Still… a very helpful post.

I now realize that I was wrong to make my original post, and I apologize.

Mods, please lock this thread, as it serves no valuable purpose. Thank you.

TimeRender
02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
You admit in your first post that you understand it's function, so it's obvious that your post is really only concerned with the part's aesthetics. "Aesthetically pleasing" is just another phrase for good looking, so you basically started a thread to say that you thought the part was ugly and to ask other users to chime in. Let's not mince words. Believe me when I say, this forum is NOT known for being shy about criticism, or for making criticism unwelcome. We just usually insist that the criticism is constructive and not merely insulting. Your post was neither helpful nor informative nor constructive. I believe that it was not your intent to insult our host, so I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just asking that you be mindful of the tone in the future.

Jedi-Loreen
02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Locking this thread, as requested.