PDA

View Full Version : First Saber; anything missing?

TerennKinobi
02-26-2011, 05:48 PM
-Hilt Style 4 (guarded hole)
-MHS Choke Style 2
-MPS pommel Style 3 v1
-MPS Insert style 6
-Screw on LED blade holder Style 12
-10 Black O-rings
-Black machined button for covertec clip
-8-32 x 1/4" socket head (for covertec button)
-8-32 x 5/16" thumb screw
-Drill & Tap Hole (8-32) x2 (for covertec button and blade holder)
-LED "TCSS style" Show Blade 1" OD (36 inches)
-1/8" Heatshrink tubing
-4AAA battery holder
-BuckPuck 1000mA 6-wire
-Luxeon Rebel Star (Amber)
-Luxeon Rebel Lens Holder
-Luxeon Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle
-Heat Sink shim for Rebel stars
-SPST Latching Guarded switch with red button

Besides soldering the electronics and assembling the hilt, there is nothing else I need to do, correct? As in, there's no other holes i need to drill or anything because I included the drill and tap services.

Also, I keep seeing 'buckpuck' being mentioned here and there. Is there any need for me to get a buckpuck?

cardcollector
02-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Two things...
Buckpucks are much better than resistors. they Give the LED a constant current until the batteries are fully drained. This means a bright blade for the entire life of your batteries.
Using a resistor the LED will dim as the battery drains... resulting in a slow fade way to nothingness....

Also, I will say I don't like the thickwalled battle blades, they are very heavy. Thin walls are perfect unless you are going to be beating a tree to death...

TerennKinobi
02-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Haha, alright. Don't think I'll be beatin' down a tree til it comes to a pulp, so I'll change the blade.

Also, the buckpuck and the resistors are interchangeable, correct? The buckpuck would go in the same place the resistor would be? I'll keep reading to make sure, but didn't think it would hurt to ask here.

TerennKinobi
02-27-2011, 01:54 AM
So I updated the blade to be a show blade instead of a battle blade and switched out the resistor to be a BuckPuck 1000mA 6-wire.

Everything good?

Jedi-Loreen
02-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Haha, alright. Don't think I'll be beatin' down a tree til it comes to a pulp, so I'll change the blade.

Also, the buckpuck and the resistors are interchangeable, correct? The buckpuck would go in the same place the resistor would be? I'll keep reading to make sure, but didn't think it would hurt to ask here.
No. Did you look at how the wires are labeled on them?

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/DSC00258.JPG

There are 4 (or 6) wires on the buck pucks. You hook up the puck to the battery supply, VIN- and VIN+, the switch goes between one of the wires coming off the battery pack, then to the puck. The LED hooks up to the LED- and LED+.

cardcollector
02-27-2011, 07:24 AM
So I updated the blade to be a show blade instead of a battle blade and switched out the resistor to be a BuckPuck 1000mA 6-wire.

Everything good?

Looks good to me, just make sure to read J-lo's post. ;)

TerennKinobi
02-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Ah okay. That makes sense. Thanks for the help you two! Guess I'm ready to buy the parts!