PDA

View Full Version : First Saber - Parts List/Plans - Please Comment

IndustrialAction
02-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Hello all, long time lurker here gearing up for my first saber build. I'd like to get any advice on my parts list and build plans that you guys might have to offer. I'm open to any suggestions!

Parts List:
MPS Clip
2.1mm Power Jack
8-32x3/8" Aluminum thumb screw
Corbin Battle Blade 1"OD, 40" Length, Double Wrap, Standard Tip
Luxeon 8.7
Luxeon Rebel Lens Holder
Luxeon Rebel Star (Cyan)
Star Thermal Tape Pad
MHS Speaker Mount v3
Petit Cruton Sound Board (when in stock)
2x18650 Battery Holder with built-in PCB (http://www.batteryspace.com/battery-holder-li-ion-18650-battery-holder-1s2p-with-2.6-long-20awg.aspx)
2.1mm Plug Adapter for Smart Charger
Lithium-ion Smart Charger (when in stock)
Accent LED(?)

Right now everything is saved in my Wish List. I'm waiting for the paint/powerd coating options to come back (hopefully next week). Of course, there are a few parts I'll have to wait on.

So, on to my initial questions...
1. Can anyone recommend a good source for a red LED to use as the accent driven by the Petit Cruton board?
2. Will the dual 18650 battery pack I'm looking at work in the system and fit in the hilt?
3. Are there any wiring diagrams for the setup I'm proposing?
4. Is anything missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have!

Azmaria Dei
02-24-2011, 07:46 PM
1 - the ones in the store are pretty nice AND come with a mount for them. look under sinktube and misc.
2 - see this thread for 18650 and MHS comparisons. i would stay away from the battery box things myself. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?11410-Yes-compact-18650-MHS-section
3 - check the manual for the PC-L. it has a lot of wiring info in it.
4 - a few JST connectors - for both the wire and quick connects. i like to get a few 6 wire connectors every so often and use them just for the wire. they have all the colors you could need.

IndustrialAction
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Ugh, I just realized after reading your response that I couldn't use that pack anyway. It is 1.7" and the OD of the main body is only 1.5". Crap. I'd still prefer a battery box just to use for mounting the sound card and the speaker. I guess I'll have to do more searching to see if I can find on that is in-line.

Thanks for the rest of the advice! I'll add them to my list.

IndustrialAction
02-26-2011, 07:08 AM
I inquired to the battery company about an in-line 18650 pack and they recommended this: http://www.batteryspace.com/customizeli-ion18650battery36v4800mah1728wh2x18650endtoendpack edwithpcb4wireic.aspx Please let me know if there is any reason this would not work in my build.

Boj-Vaati Mau
02-26-2011, 07:18 AM
If I'm looking at it right, the battery is 5.1" long but you have 5" from the threads to the C/L of the switch hole.

IndustrialAction
02-26-2011, 07:27 AM
So would you recommend that I add an extension piece (between the pommel and the hilt) to compensate?

IndustrialAction
02-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Based on some suggestions and further research, I've revised my build list and plans. Please review/comment. Thanks!

MPS Clip
Premium Speaker
MHS Speaker Mount v3
Covertec clip
2.1mm Power jack
Dual 18650 Battery Pack (http://www.batteryspace.com/customizeli-ion18650battery36v4800mah1728wh2x18650endtoendpack edwithpcb4wireic.aspx)
Petit Crouton board (when in-stock)
Heatsink shim for Rebel Stars
Star thermal tape pad
Luxeon Rebel lens holder
Luxeon Rebel Star (cyan)
Luxeon 8.7 lens
Corbin Style Battle Blade (40", double wrap, bullet tip)

This configuration gives me 7.5" from the pommel to the switch. I added on the MHS gear section to add some length and switched from the short choke to the standard. Now that I look at the measurements, I think I'd still have enough room even without the gear section.

Anyway, please let me know what you guys think and let me know if I'm missing anything.

IndustrialAction
02-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Also, since the PC-L has room for two additional "accent" LEDs, can I get some recommendations/suggestion on where to put them? Thanks!

Darth Xusia
02-28-2011, 09:06 AM
I don't see a momentary switch in your list to use for auxiliary. Can I assume you have the screws for the covertec and the box?

IndustrialAction
02-28-2011, 09:25 AM
I don't see a momentary switch in your list to use for auxiliary. Can I assume you have the screws for the covertec and the box?

Yep, screws for covertec and box are in the cart. As for the momentary switch, I haven't quite decided where I want to put it. I didn't want to put it in the activation box. I have to decide on a location.

Invisas1979
02-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Just so you know, the ID of the MHS gear is the same as the ribbed extension and the speaker holders don't sit properly in those; so they may not in the MHS gear.

Other than that looks good, if a little long. Personally I'd loose the gear anyway and get a custom shroud going on.

IndustrialAction
02-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I don't really like the MHS gear, I was just concerned with having enough room to pack all of the electronics in. The battery pack alone is huge. I can eliminate the mount, I only added it to use as a clean way of putting all of the guts together.

As for the shroud, can you post some ideas? I hadn't thought along those lines...

Darth Xusia
02-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Just so you know, the ID of the MHS gear is the same as the ribbed extension and the speaker holders don't sit properly in those; so they may not in the MHS gear.

Other than that looks good, if a little long. Personally I'd loose the gear anyway and get a custom shroud going on.

The gear has been changed so it has the same 1.25" ID. The first batch was smaller though.

IndustrialAction
02-28-2011, 09:50 AM
What's the story with shrouds? Are you talking about blade shrouds like on Vader's LS?