PDA

View Full Version : What batteries to use for in hilt recharge for new PC-L ???

StickStickly
02-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Hello, Ok so I looked at the tutorials and they say to use Li ion protected cells when making a recharge pack for in hilt recharge. TCSS has some batteries for sale ( others out of stock ) But the ones they do have ( 1st link below ) are protected but it says should be charged outside of the hilt. Then the other kind wich are sold out ( second link below ) says the are not protected and are good to use with recharge pack. ???? I dont know what to do. If anyone could just tell me What kind of batteries would be the best to use for the in hilt recharge for the PC-L that would be great. A list of parts needed to make this wouldnt hurt either. : )

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-Protected-37V-900mAh-14500-Lithium-Battery-2-Pack-P342.aspx

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li-Ion-14500-Rechargeable-AA-size-37V-900mAh-P480.aspx

Jay-gon Jinn
02-24-2011, 03:55 PM
The PC is optimized to work best with Li-ion batteries, and if you want to charge them in the hilt, then get the Tenergy un-protected cells and a pcb and make a pack yourself. It's not hard to do. KIt can also be run on either 7.4volts, or 3.7 volts, depending on you're main led. you can get everytihng you'll need here, except for heatshrink tubing that will fit over the batteries to hold them together, and insulate them from the inside of the saber hilt.

IndustrialAction
02-24-2011, 05:37 PM
I have quite a collection of protected and IMR 18650's for my electronic cigarette mods. I'd like to make my first saber with an internal pack running two of the 3000mAh protected batts I have and set it up to be chargeable through the hilt. What battery box do I need? Is there a tutorial for what I'm looking to do?

Azmaria Dei
02-24-2011, 05:48 PM
since there's a lack of a tutorial for Li-Ion batteries with pictures currently, i'll have to put one together soon.

IndustrialAction, as for your question specifically, what do you mean by box? unless you do some cutting in the MHS parts, you can't fit 2 18650's side by side. to use 2 of them i would recommend building a stick pack. as for boxes, i've always used either high temp tape or battery pack heatshrink.

Loachri MacTalabh
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
If your thinking of these boxes;
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/4AAA-battery-holder-P133.aspx
I have thought of that and asked. I was told if I was it making in-hilt rechargeable, to just make a pack. You will have more room without it anyway. As for a tutorial, the only one I could find is;
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?6985-Battery-Pack-Making&highlight=tutorial+battery+pack

Azmaria Dei
02-24-2011, 06:25 PM
and that's a good tutorial to start from. i'll just have to add in the Li-Ion PCB stuff.

amwolf
02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
It can also be run on either 7.4volts, or 3.7 volts, depending on you're main led.

So this board will run on a solo 18650 or PCB'd 14500? I read you used a solo 18650 for CS-35, but the spec @ the store says a minimum of 4.5v.

Crystal Chambers
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM
I still have a lot to learn myself in the electronics side of things but this sounds similar to the info on US2.5. You could/can run them with LUX3s or P4s and a 3.7v Li ion, but LEDs that consume more power will need more juice. Most boards seem to need roughly 1v plus whatever the LED requires. The big difference in how boards handle power supply is how they regulate the excess voltage. I would like to here more specifics about this myself though.

Azmaria Dei
02-24-2011, 06:48 PM
the main LEDs that take 2.5V or there abouts can use a single Li-Ion cell to power the PC-L. anything more and you'll need to use a 7.4V pack.

dj2rbo
02-24-2011, 11:00 PM
the main LEDs that take 2.5V or there abouts can use a single Li-Ion cell to power the PC-L. anything more and you'll need to use a 7.4V pack.

I have a PC-U that powers a p4 red and two 14650 or 14xxx I forgot. Anyway I am guessing that this board regulates the current needed and wont heat up even if the voltage is way higher from your batteries.

cardcollector
02-24-2011, 11:30 PM

So that means red, red orange, and amber.

Azmaria Dei
02-24-2011, 11:35 PM
I have a PC-U that powers a p4 red and two 14650 or 14xxx I forgot. Anyway I am guessing that this board regulates the current needed and wont heat up even if the voltage is way higher from your batteries.

yes. the PC series has a real LED driver on board. you just set the mA and it autodetects the fV.

Jay-gon Jinn
02-25-2011, 04:25 PM
So this board will run on a solo 18650 or PCB'd 14500? I read you used a solo 18650 for CS-35, but the spec @ the store says a minimum of 4.5v.
Yes, the board runs just fine on a 3.7v battery source...you can all thank LDM for that...erv made certain the PC can run on that voltage since LDM does so many MKIII conversions using a single Li-ion battery to power those. CS-35 and CS-X both run just fine on the triple 14500 packs I made for those. I do have a tutorial for making those up at FX-Sabers.com, but it's mixed in with a build topic for a saber, and I'd have to find it before I can post it here.

IG-88
02-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Yes, the board runs just fine on a 3.7v battery source...you can all thank LDM for that...erv made certain the PC can run on that voltage since LDM does so many MKIII conversions using a single Li-ion battery to power those. CS-35 and CS-X both run just fine on the triple 14500 packs I made for those. I do have a tutorial for making those up at FX-Sabers.com, but it's mixed in with a build topic for a saber, and I'd have to find it before I can post it here.

Link:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=24308.30
This thread shows how you made your triple 14500 battery pack.

StickStickly
02-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Ok so a lot of battery options on TCSS are out of stock, So if I bought these ( links below ) would they work? and would the only thing left to do be to wire the pack to the 2.1mm power jack ???

Battery pack
http://www.amazon.com/Li-Ion-Tenergy-2200mAh-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B002Y2LJW0/ref=pd_luc_sim_00_01_t_lh

Charger
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Charger-Li-Ion-Polymer-battery/dp/B001BEXDRQ/ref=lh_ni_t_

IG-88
02-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Ok so a lot of battery options on TCSS are out of stock, So if I bought these ( links below ) would they work? and would the only thing left to do be to wire the pack to the 2.1mm power jack ???

Battery pack
http://www.amazon.com/Li-Ion-Tenergy-2200mAh-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B002Y2LJW0/ref=pd_luc_sim_00_01_t_lh

Charger
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Charger-Li-Ion-Polymer-battery/dp/B001BEXDRQ/ref=lh_ni_t_

Without modification, 2 18650s will not fit parallel in an MHS. So not, that pack will not work.

StickStickly
02-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Alright, this whole in hilt recharge thing is really getting on my nerves. There is so much ( insert bad word here ) crap about batteries and configurations, in hilt recharge this, and 18650's that... and all i freakin want is 1 solid way to do this. Everytime I ask a question ( and im not singleing anyone out ) I get a negative response, in other words I get a .. no that wont work, or no, without modifying, it wont work. Well guess what. Im a freakin noob if anyone hasnt noticed. So what WILL work? anybody please.. I think all the people that have been here on this and other forums forget how much freakin info there is to go through and how little tutorials there are on all of this. I have been searching through 3 forums for months trying my best to read, and read, and try to keep the noob question asking to a minimum. but you know Im really getting discouraged here. All I want to do is build a *$&$ lightsaber, I understand that no one is going to spoon feed me, but I do expect at least someone to at least point me in the right direction ... ie.. Picture diagrams or photos with how to's and even some of those are still complicated for me cause im just that kind of person. I am a visual learner. Once I actually do something myself, I never forget. But this hobby is difficult because you litterally have to learn everything only by reading. And I honestly have to say that more than half of the people I have asked questions from ( not necessarilly on this forum ) have givin me those quick and ( please just shut up noob) answeres.. Only negative " nope that wont work" instead of "no, that wont work but This would ". All Im saying is ... I am a noob, I understand that im not the only one and tons of questions can be overwhelming. But I urge all the non-noobs and more experianced smiths, Please dont forget how difficult it can be upcoming in this hobby. I will say, Financially, this has been hard. I want to do the instal with my PC-L myself but I dont want to buy the incorrect parts and then wire it up incorrectly. Ive spent a lot of money trying to make this happen and all to have it shot down with non constructive negative comments. To all who have been answering my questions and truely helping me and pointing me in the right direction, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. My projects will show promise because of it. Anyone who is not willing to help out us noobs and just give us the quick answers, Please dont bother because we would rather talk with people who are interested to see us succeed. To the members of this forum who run and operate it. I'm sorry for the rant but I truely belive that the members of the forum need to be reminded that they too once were noobs and had the same questions I had.

Jordandau
02-25-2011, 10:10 PM
I've been in the same spot as you. Yes it can be frustrating, but honestly ALL of the info you're asking for is there. I read for a year before I built anything, mostly because I had a bad job and couldn't spare money for anything. I'm glad I waited though, just sticking around you absorb tons of info. Your original question was, what battery should I use for the PC-L? It's been stated that 7.4 is the sweet spot. That's 2 Li-Ion Cells, either 14s or 18s. The 14500s are AA sized and will fit in an AA holder, but it'll work better if you just make a pack yourself with the unprotected cells and the proper PCB. The 18650s are much bigger and will not fit stacked up, but end to end would work. All of this has been stated IN THIS THREAD, so very respectfully I'm not sure what you're asking. There is no solid one way of doing anything around here. It's all about experimentation. I'm not trying to be mean at all, just stating that everything you asked again has already been answered.

Loachri MacTalabh
02-25-2011, 10:38 PM
I was is a flaming war with somebody because I was acting as you are now. I wanted to a diagram drawn up for me. Be Patient! Things are not out of stock long. When you try to rush anything in life things will go wrong. Calm down, you are destine for trouble my friend. Rome was't built in a day, nether are LED sabers.

StickStickly
02-25-2011, 11:53 PM
I will formaly appologize to all..... No more rants I promise. I do appreciate all the help everyone has given and I suppose a little more description is in order. ( Also I dont expect sympathay just maybe if I explain it will go better with my apology. ) I am in the military and just recently found out that I will be deploying for a year within the next couple of months. I am simply trying to learn as much as possible and get the current projects done that I have. I am sincerly sorry as I wouldnt normally blow up like this. This hobby has brought a lot of joy in my life by way of working with my hands. I belive I have found a soloution to my problem and will be working to source the materials to finish my project, ( wich by the way I cant wait to share with everyone here ) I must say to all that I am very impressed with the way us noobs are delt with when we have a melt down. You guys are still here for us and dont buckle under pressure. Even when were ( insert bad word here ) LOL. Thanks everyone for your time and I look forward to showing off my project. : )

Jedi-Loreen
02-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I won't read long posts that have no paragraphs, they are too hard to read, so I just ignore them.

Jordandau
02-26-2011, 12:49 AM
No need to apologize, just keep reading. Trust me, the answers are all in here.

Azmaria Dei
02-26-2011, 01:33 AM
I won't read long posts that have no paragraphs, they are too hard to read, so I just ignore them.

same here.

IG-88
02-26-2011, 07:14 AM
I read it...and I was not being mean in my posts. I was short and to the point. You asked a question, I answered. I even found the link to Jay's post of how me made his own triple pack of 14500's. You have many, many options for this build as far as batteries go. There are a ton of different li-ions out there. The PC-L just came out, so not many have wired one except for the saber-smiths. Thanks for apologizing, and calming down. We are helpful, but patience is needed first.

Boj-Vaati Mau
02-26-2011, 07:29 AM
A virtue, patience is, yes!

Jay-gon Jinn
02-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Link:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=24308.30
This thread shows how you made your triple 14500 battery pack.
Yeah, that was the one! The battery pack assembly starts with this post here, though:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=24308.msg360154#msg360154

StickStickly
02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Once again, sorry for the outburst and I belive I have found my battery soloution. The mods or operators can lock this thread if they'd like. Thanks to all.

Crystal Chambers
03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Good stuff.

The main reasons there's not one ideal way to power your saber is because of hilt space/shape, the LED, and driver (PC driven). This is why we try to give minimal answers so you can find the ideal solution to suit your needs. It's easier to ask question in the chat room when you're able to. Less frowned on then posting questions that might be found searching and reading till your eyes fall out.