PDA

View Full Version : First Saber! I think I got this right?

Tanimal
02-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Alright! I think I've got this all figured out then (I think). I'm going to make a saber with a blesbok horn using an econo board just for sound and a constant current LED driver just for lights. Here's my shopping list:

blesbok horn
2010 obi wan saber
8.7 degree lens
lens holder
premium speaker
red luxeon rebel star
2 swing sensors
clash sensor
1" corbin style battle blade
constant current driver board
star thermal tape pad
dpdt momentary red illuminated switch
resistor for switch (150 ohm 1/4 watt? maybe?)
2.1 mm power jack
8-32 tap and drill
tap handle
8-32 black thumbscrew
aluminum pipe for blade holder
18650 battery

grand total: $190ish

hmmmm.... thats expensive... I think I might drop the driver for my first build... but I really want it... But the only way I can pay for this is literally selling my blood (plasma, legally, dont freak out) Makes sense that its a sith saber though.
Well besides that weirdness, anything I missed in this list?

cardcollector
02-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I am assuming you already have a blade mounting setup. Correct?

Tanimal
02-24-2011, 10:16 AM
You mean the blade holder? I'm using the aluminum pipe for the holder and i'm using epoxy putty to secure most of the parts in my saber. I decided not to use a premade blade holder because I really don't need the machined threads or anything like that. But now that I look at it, it comes with a heatsink and mounting stuff for the LED... Ideas? Or am I just missing the point completely?

cardcollector
02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Well, I don't think this will ever be duel worthy. Maybe some spinning, but that's all I recommend.

If it were me, I would use the epoxy putty and a piece of 1" PVC. Then drill a large hole in the horn, then a smaller threaded Hole in the putty and the PVC for the blade retentiOn screw. That is all just theory and thinking aloud...

Tanimal
02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Why don't you think it would be duel worthy? Epoxy putty is strong stuff. and why pvc instead of aluminum?

cardcollector
02-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I am concerned about the horn- nit the epoxy putty. Just one hole in bone or keratin drastically reduces its strength. I guessing you are also going to be drilling a few holes for sound correct? I said PVC because you had mentioned the price and how you didn't like it, PVC is cheap and works just as well as aluminum in this case. It isn't going to provide any strength. The epoxy putty will do that.

Tanimal
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Ok, I guess that makes sense. I think I'm going to drop the driver and then use a 3 position off/momentary/latch slider switch so I don't have to have the flash on clash. And I think that i should be able to fit a 1.25" sink tube pretty far down into the handle, then I could just put the speaker at the bottom of the tube and let the bottom of the horn be the resonating chamber, where there wont be much stress on the material so I can drill into the horn safely. And heck, as long as I'm doing that i might as well use the blade holder adapter for the sink tube and use an actual holder just to make sure. I think I'm going to get the horn first so I can get a better idea of how big it is and how much I can fit in there.

cardcollector
02-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a good idea. :cool: