PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice about adding sound

BaylorJedi
02-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Hey guys, over the summer I built a saber via parts from this site. I wanted to stay basic so I didn't add sound. Now that I've had it for a few months I've decided the thing needs some sound added to it. Now I've done a bit of searching and came up with these schematics http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial

However I'm studying Business currently and not Engineering, so this stuff is like another language to me lol. I have spring break in a week and a half and I'll be heading home where I have the cheap-o hasbro Vader saber and I think I'll try using that sound board for starters. Now I'm assuming that I can just "add" in the sound board and speakers etc with my current set up, I'm just going to have to do a little bit of rewiring. I guess my question is, since I'm using the Hasbro set up what additional parts do I need? Since it is back home I don't have a chance to open it up right now and take a look. For instance will the speakers be OK to use from it or should I upgrade? It looks like from those schem's that I'm going to need more wire and maybe a voltage regulator? However, I'm not the expert so someone please fill me in and correct me ;)

I appreciate the help!

Malakay
02-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Tell me how you have it connected together

Silver Serpent
02-23-2011, 06:22 AM
I converted my original stunt saber to one with an econo vader board. You'll need a TIP42 PNP transistor, extra wire, a momentary switch (you likely have a latching switch), and a 5V voltage regulator if your battery pack is higher than 5V total.

The speaker that comes with the vader saber is perfectly functional. It's not great, but it does the job. The premium speaker in the TCSS store will sound better, but it's an added expense.

You've already found the appropriate thread detailing how all the wiring schematics, just keep reading them over until you understand what the diagrams are showing you. If I can do it, I'm sure you can as well.

cardcollector
02-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey,

I must thanks you for searching and finding a thread you needed. Props to you. :)

I will say, with my first wiring setup, I didn't know how everything worked, I just knew (because older builders told me so) that it would. After I finished my saber I spent a week or so read up on all electronics, because I wanted to finish the saber so badly.

I reccomend you wire it up just like the schematic says, it will work. I promise. parts you will need are the PNp transistor, and a MOM switch. If you are feeding the board more than 5V and 5Vregulator will be needed.

My favorite site for electronics info is http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/ it has a great overview of everything and is very easy to understand.

BaylorJedi
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Tell me how you have it connected together

It is basically exactly like this: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7290-MHS-LED-kit-tutorial-(Buckpuck-variant)

Thanks for the advice so far everyone, so based on my current set up, I'd be using the last schem correct? Or have I already botched this haha.

Malakay
02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
I have resistor connection like this and I got the same idea to add soundboard
http://phreak-master.wz.cz/Fora/wiring.jpg

and what i found here and talked about with others, this is the correct connection of soundboard (molex connectors are my upgrade, you donīt have to have them there)
http://phreak-master.wz.cz/Fora/diagram2.jpg

You have to:
- change switch ( I guess you have latching switch, for soundboard you need momentary)
- add TIP42 transistor or MJE2955T transistor
- add a soundboard and a speaker

BaylorJedi
02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
I have resistor connection like this and I got the same idea to add soundboard
http://phreak-master.wz.cz/Fora/wiring.jpg

and what i found here and talked about with others, this is the correct connection of soundboard (molex connectors are my upgrade, you donīt have to have them there)
http://phreak-master.wz.cz/Fora/diagram2.jpg

You have to:
- change switch ( I guess you have latching switch, for soundboard you need momentary)
- add TIP42 transistor or MJE2955T transistor
- add a soundboard and a speaker

Excellent, this explains things very clearly. So the momentary switch is connected to the sound board and will control the light and sound, correct? I think I understand this now.

Also, I was looking on the website and does the saber shop not sell transistors?

**EDIT**
Ok so after looking over the schem a few times I think I understand it now with the exception of one thing. Which I've circled in yellow in the picture below:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2kj9km.jpg

To my understanding those red dots (circled in yellow) are intersections and what I'll do there is strip away the insulation on the wire and tie together two wires. Assuming that is correct what do I do for the big red dot where 3 wires are coming together? Tie all three wires onto one wire?

Malakay
02-23-2011, 11:25 PM
orange dots are soldering :-) it means you have to make 2 wires from one wire. arrows are voltage directions flowing through diagram.yes, big dot are 3 wires soldered together. I didnīt precisely understand why theyīve to be connected together, someone told me that it gives full power to the led. I think that on cheap soundboard it works for accent leds which we donīt have in a saber.
it is my diagram, and I think it is more understandable than the one I see here.
and yes, led is controlled by soundboard.soundboards does not work with latching switch, thatīs why thereīs momentary one.
no, in this moment TCSS is not selling any transistors. And TIP 42 transistor I couldnīt get in here, sou I bought MJE2955T according to someoneīs advice. It work well too. And one more thing - Iīm from Czech republic, so shipping fee 26$ is quite expensive for me. So I had to buy momentary switch and transistor in our country.
And Azmaria Dei recommends marutsu.co.jp or chip1stop.com
btw look here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?12431-My-first-MHS-Malakay%B4s-lightsaber) and tell me your opinion :-)

BaylorJedi
02-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Excellent, I appreciate the help Malakay. Your diagram is very helpful. I guess my last question is, does anyone know where I can get a good transistor in the states?

Skottsaber
02-24-2011, 01:05 AM
I believe that people in the US can get them from Radioshack, if not I'd check locally for an electronics store, and if that fails then I suggest somewhere like mouser.com or rscomponents.com

Any TIP42 will do.

BaylorJedi
02-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok one other thing, my saber is powered by 4 tripple A batteries, so I believe that is 6 Volts. So it looks like I need a 5 volt regulator unless my resistor that is by my LED will work. I guess the reason I'm confused is because I haven't seen and schematics using a "5 volt regulator" My current set up looks exactly like Malakay's first schematic

Jay-gon Jinn
02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
You'll need that 5v regulator to protect the soundboard, not the led...and resistors don't work in the same fashion as a boltage regulator, so you can't use one betweeen the batteries and the soundboard.

BaylorJedi
02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Ok, that got me thinking. Aren't the cheap-o sabers powered by more than 5 volts? Wouldn't that have a rgulator with it?

IG-88
02-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Ok, that got me thinking. Aren't the cheap-o sabers powered by more than 5 volts? Wouldn't that have a rgulator with it?

Most of those have 3AA holders. So, no they would not have a regulator in them. You could just use a 3.7V li-ion set-up and not use a regulator.

BaylorJedi
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I've been looking through the shop and couldn't I just replace my normal AAA batteries with 4 of these http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/AAA-1000mAh-NiMH-Rechargeable-battery-P475.aspx

In the picture it says it is 1.2v, so with four of them I'd be at 4.8v. I'm thinking this would be the best way to go about doing this, unless I'm missing something.

Skottsaber
02-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Yes, that is the best, most elegant solution.
Just make sure to test them on full charge, they might be a bit more than 4.8v.

Azmaria Dei
02-28-2011, 02:18 AM
in my experience, NiMH batteries at full charge NORMALLY top out at 5.0-5.1V in a 4xAAA array. thank you camera flash! ^_^

BaylorJedi
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Azmaria Dei, I clicked on your link about wiring diagrams. So it looks like for my set up I'm going to have to wire it up similar to the "5V regulator if you are using a 7.2V Li-ion setup" diagram, correct?

Azmaria Dei
02-28-2011, 11:27 PM
if you're using alkalines, yes. if you're using NiMH, no - use the one for a single 3.7V setup.

Malakay
03-01-2011, 12:09 PM
what kind of soundboard do you have?my soundboard arrived and i found here on the forum i cant use that diagram i posted before :(
AND ONE MORE THING - I WONT NEED TRANSISTOR :( AND IF YOU WANT WE CAN MAKE A DEAL AND I CAN SELL YOU TWO TRANSISTORS MJE2955T

Azmaria Dei
03-01-2011, 01:08 PM
what kind of soundboard do you have?my soundboard arrived and i found here on the forum i cant use that diagram i posted before :(
AND ONE MORE THING - I WONT NEED TRANSISTOR :( AND IF YOU WANT WE CAN MAKE A DEAL AND I CAN SELL YOU TWO TRANSISTORS MJE2955T

there's no selling things on these forums out of respect for Tim. for that, please go over to FX or something.

BaylorJedi
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM

Its the soundboard for the Darth Vader saber (I think it is a couple years old). I've already picked up a transistor.

Jedi-Loreen
03-01-2011, 02:28 PM
there's no selling things on these forums out of respect for Tim. for that, please go over to FX or something.
Yes, what she said.

Even PMs aren't allowed to be used for selling purposes, on these forums.

Malakay
03-14-2011, 03:03 PM
oh. Iīm really sorry :( I just wanted to help him. BTW I dont know if Tim sells transistors too but I havenīt seen any on TCSS

Big_Furry_Oaf
03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know the minimum battery power you'd need for this set up with a rebel star led?

Azmaria Dei
03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know the minimum battery power you'd need for this set up with a rebel star led?

which rebel star LED?

Big_Furry_Oaf
03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Luxeon Rebel Star Green 166lm @ 700mA 3.4v

Jordandau
03-14-2011, 06:53 PM
You kinda just answered your own question.

Big_Furry_Oaf
03-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry, I must be missing something then. I know it takes 3.4v to power that LED. How much additional power does it take the power a cheapo soundboard and speaker and have them both actually function (light shines bright and sound is loud and clear), and do so for more than a few minutes?
I've ordered a set of 3.6V 16340 Lithium Batteries and plan to use one to run a single green Luxeon Rebel Star 3.4v. Would it run the LED and speaker setup as well? I doubt it, but that's why I'm asking.
I didn't want to start a new thread and wanted to keep the question a little vague to get a response that may be helpful to more people than just me. Seemed like the OP has some of the same problems as me (had his saber already but wants to add sound, isn't an electronics expert).

Azmaria Dei
03-14-2011, 10:11 PM
the LED is the highest voltage draw. the board will operate at that same voltage.

Big_Furry_Oaf
03-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Rock on. Thanks.