PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating versus painting for Obi ROTS

Kilo
02-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi all -

I'm thinking of doing an Obi-Wan ROTS for my next saber, and I'm trying to decide what I should do for the gold color of the choke and the copper color of the bottom of the blade holder. I see here on the forums that most people have decided to go with paint for those parts instead of powder coating. Has anyone tried powder coating for those parts, and if so, what colors did you use? I've learned from hard experience that the color of powder coating shown on the site here doesn't always look much like what you get (I'm looking at you, jollipop copper orange!), and I'm wondering if powder coat can ever give the right look just by its very nature. I'm including a reference image in case you don't recall which parts I'm talking about. Any opinions?

Many thanks,
Kilo

http://www.keithwatt.org/DreyconDell/obiwanROTS.jpg

(null).exe
02-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Unless you want to go whole hog and machine two pieces out of brass and copper, respectively, I would pick up some Rust-o-leum spray. It has a very nice "Antique Gold" (i think that's the name) and a Copper that should work for your needs, and Rust-o-leum is an enamel paint, so it's designed to stick to metal.

If the colors aren't exactly what you want (i.e. too shiny), you can always take a page out of the wargame miniatures painter's bible and do a black or brown ink wash to "age" the pieces.

As with any coating, paint, powder coating or otherwise, it will be prone to chipping and wearing, which a machined piece won't do.

I've done some cast plastic pieces for various bits of Halo-related armor and weaponry, and used the metallic paint + ink wash to get the very same effect I described with results that were exceptionally hard to tell apart from actual metal.

cannibal869
02-17-2011, 10:39 PM
the gold trans PC I used for my Tiberius saber is pretty good for a brass like color. I've also used copper trans and am happy with that one too.
the key for any of the trans PC or spraypaints is to make sure the surface of what you're covering is as highly polished as possible.