PDA

View Full Version : Galen Marek sink-tube Starkiller

ghost_a*
02-06-2011, 12:07 PM
this is my first ever attempt at a custom lightsaber. doing sink tube + PVC inner
i have very minimal tools and skills at my disposal and i admit that this is a bit ambitious for my first one, but i'm trying to replicate, as best i can, galen marek's lightsaber in the force unleashed.

i'm using roland at http://ro-lightsaber.blogspot.com/ as my inspiration and modeling as he has some very high resolution pictures of the one he machined.

here are some pics of what i have so far.
i started with the electronics and crystal for the exposed crystal chamber, but that i'm going to come back to.
i need to get some more doo-dads (screws/hardware) to continue there.

so i went onto the hilt.

started with a 1.5"x12" sink tube
dremeled the tip off, then shaped the s-curve emitter
then i made my own template for the rest of the upper emitter section, dremeled that out.
that's pretty much done for the base shape. i still have to drill the holes for the activator box and knobs.

next i'm moving onto the base section of the hilt.

for the chassis i'm using PVC.
i plan on using some kind of adhesive padding to stick on the interior of my sink tube parts to make it more flush against the PVC when i mount them together.

here's a few pics of what i have so far though:

Rafalema
02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
You're off to a great start!

Ambitious project, but the first pics give the impression that this guy knows what he's doin'. :cool:

Keep up the good work, and good luck on your first saber! I'm sure it won't stay as your only one for long! :D

Knighthammer
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
good start - keep it up!

ghost_a*
02-06-2011, 09:44 PM
thx guys. i'm pretty psyched about this so far. i just wish i had more time to really dedicate to it.
feels like i get 20 min here, 30 min there.
wife and a 7 month old baby girl limit my 'free time' for doing stuff like this.

hopefully i can get to lowe's this week to get some hardware to start mocking up the metal to the PVC.

also, i need to find a decent speaker for the audio. any tips on where to find one?
i have a cheap rinky dink one but the sound quality coming out of it is mediocre at best.
i'd like to buy one from TCSS but adding shipping would pretty much increase the price 100%.

Azmaria Dei
02-06-2011, 09:53 PM
since the store sells one i can't tell you where else to get a speaker. besides that, it's worth it at thrice the price.

Jedi-Loreen
02-06-2011, 10:29 PM
A lot of research and trial by various people have gone into choosing the speakers that Tim carries in the Store. They are very good, and nice and loud.

cardcollector
02-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Yeah, the Tcss speaker is the best out there IMO. Plus it is only $6. :)

ghost_a*
02-07-2011, 07:34 AM
gotcha ;) i'll most likely go with that one then.
i'll continue to update with pics as i go along, this'll just be pretty slow going.

ghost_a*
02-08-2011, 01:33 PM
so continuing on with the hilt fabrication, i made a quick trip to lowe's and got a thread tap for 8-32, got 8 bolts that match the images i've seen of the galen marek saber.
6 of them i'll use to mount the emitter sleeve to the PVC chassis.

i also got some felt pads that have adhesive backing.
i'm going to cut them to shape and stick them inside the sink tube parts in order to make the chassis fit snuggly inside the emitter sleeve and lower sink tube portion.

the next steps are going to be to continue fabricating the emitter sleeve upper portion (activator box, bunny ears, buttons, etc.)
and to carve out a section of the PVC chassis for the crystal chamber.

i'm going to need to sit down with a pencil and paper to start to mock up a drawing of the crystal chamber as well.

dgdve
02-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Very Impressive!! (double post lol) but yeah the saber is off to a great start too ;)

Jedi-Loreen
02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I saw that, but I didn't feel like merging the posts. :p

Just try not to make a habit of double posting, ghost. ;)

ghost_a*
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
those were two completely different posts if you look at the timestamps.
does that mean that if i'm the last post, i need to edit that post to reply to the thread, even if it's days later?

if so, i'll abide, i just had no idea.

Jedi-Loreen
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Nah, it's alright, in this case.

Just don't double post within minutes, like I've seen some people do. (especially when they are trying to quote multiple people, if they don't know how to use the Multi-Quote button)

ghost_a*
02-12-2011, 04:13 PM
*Update*

just a small update as i didn't have much time to do anything this weekend
but i cut out the section of the PVC chassis for the crystal chamber
i also drilled and mock-mounted, with button head screws, the upper hilt section.
mock-mounted meaning i didn't actually put the nuts on the inside yet. this was just a test fit.
i also have to shave off a few millimeters of the 10-32 screws as they go too deep into the PVC.
i also added some scotch 3M mounting adhesive to the inside (you can see it in a couple images) in order to raise the sink tube off the PVC a tiny bit as well as make the PVC sit flush inside the tube.
sorry for the blurry pics.

the only problem so far is that i wish i'd been able to drill out the holes more precise cause if you look carefully/closely the screws aren't perfectly lined up.

kage_no_mozaiku
02-23-2011, 05:11 AM
im sorry if this is OT. if it is just delete it. ....but its funny, my mothers maiden name is marek. interesting thing about the marek line is they were the biggest land barons of bohemia before the germans took it over and made it czechoslovakia. yeah.....they were royalty. the crest is a white goose with a golden quill pen in its beak. i cant remember the rest though. well....just thought you might find the history about this name interesting.

oh yeah....your progress looks pretty brill. not far off from the model.

ghost_a*
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
i got to spend a tad more time on this on the weekend.

1. sanded down the body with 400 grit sandpaper to bring out a brushed finish
2. cut the handle about 1.5-2" shorter
3. added the pomel cap (also sanded)
4. added two mounting points for the handle
5. cut, shaped, sanded bunny ears. haven't mounted yet.

so as it stands it's basically an unpainted shell
my next order of business is to drill the hole for the recharge pins in the upper shroud, look into mounting the bunny ears and a couple more knobs to the upper shroud
find something for the grips. i might try to cut out some PVC strips that i'll paint black, as the galen marek grips are hard, not rubber.
i'm thinking "rustoleum" universal metallic aged copper paint for the emitter and the copper strip on the grip. http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=181

Rafalema
05-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Looks very good!

You're doing great, keep it up! :cool:

ghost_a*
05-09-2011, 11:09 AM
thx :) i just wish i had more time to dedicate to it.
i feel like it's taking forever doing it 15-30 min at a time, lol.

Darth Midian
05-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Hey Ghost, that's turning out great. For your grips may I suggest using black abs plastic pipe. That's what I used for the grips on my Starkiller. If you use regular pvc the paint will wear in time as you handle it.

ghost_a*
05-09-2011, 04:17 PM
i thought you'd used those decorative wooden trim pieces?
do you have a link or pics? i'd love to see the ABS plastic.
my main concern is cutting them perfectly straight, that long. you know?

Darth Midian
05-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey Ghost, I did use wood trim my pvc version. I used the black abs plastic pipe on my MHS Starkiller. It's not to bad making the long cuts. I made my cuts just outside the lines on the gragh paper & sanded it down to the line. Here's the link for my MHS Starkiller.
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?12680-FINALLY!!!-My-First-MHS-Saber.

ghost_a*
05-10-2011, 09:38 AM
awesome! thx for teh link, checking it out now.

Darth Midian
05-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Awesome.

ghost_a*
05-12-2011, 02:17 PM
midian, what'd you end up using for the control box?
i was looking at going with Activation Box Style 1 http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Activation-box-style-1-P354.aspx
but i'm wondering if it'll be too tall.

Darth Midian
05-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Ghost, I just used some aluminum channel rail. I cut it down a little bit with my Dremel so it wouldn't be so tall, primed & paited it.
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/DMidian/DSCN0859-1.jpg

(null).exe
05-12-2011, 03:42 PM
*snip irrelevant information :P*
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/DMidian/DSCN0859-1.jpg

Nice IM poster :D

Tarrell
05-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Nice IM poster :D

Wore my IM shirt today because i saw this,:p

ghost_a*
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
thought i'd actually post in my own thread for once, hahahha

here's an update:

i scrapped the idea of shaping strips of black ABS piping for the grips.
i gave it a go, but the result was mediocre at best. just looked really, really amateur and crappy to be completely honest.
xanatos gave me the idea of finding some kind of square rod. i searched around and found some 3/16" steel keystock.
i cut 4 lengths of it and drilled the 2 mounting holes per grip.
taped them onto the hilt for an idea of how they'd feel look and they turned out GREAT.
i still need to buff the ends of them a bit and paint them black before i permanently mount them.

i also went and got some "aged copper" metallic spraypaint, with some satin black, so i can start painting my PVC inner as well as the grips and the copper/black rings on the base hilt.

the next major task will be the crystal chamber.
i got a couple nylon washers that i'll have to sand down the perimeters to so they'll fit into the PVC.
i also got some other random tinkets to build the chamber itself, and i have a quartz crystal that i'll sit in there.

ghost_a*
06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
*UPDATE WITH PICS*

okay, so i cut my grips from a 3 foot length of 3/16" square keystock, buffed 'em and painted 'em.
also painted the black stripe around the hilt.
still need to pain the copper stripe before i permanently mount the grips. as of now they're just hanging off of the custom "tack pin" mounts i added.

here's some pics of the tack pin mounts that i did.
basically drilled two pin-sized holes per grip in the hilt.
then modified metal thumb tacks to the right size/shape.
loctite glue gel'd them from the inside of the tube so they protrude out of it.

then i drilled 2 1/16" holes per grip in the underside of each grip.
i plan on gorilla cementing them in when i've painted the copper stripe just above the black stripe on my hilt.

as it stands now they're just sitting/hanging on the tacks.

remaining tasks:

1. crystal chamber (biggest thing)
2. control box: i bought a length of aluminum u-channel from the store that i'm going to use as a base, then figure out a cap/cover for it. i'll JB weld it to the tube and mount one of my switches in it
3. bunny ears: i've shaped them, but i'm not happy so i'm going to redo them, then mount them with JB weld
4. switch in the lower hilt for reverse grip
5. econo board internals
6. paint PVC chassis

without further adieu here's the next set of pics. first set is the thumb tack mounting method, second are the grip pics.

ghost_a*
06-28-2011, 06:04 PM
apparently you can only attach a max of 5 pics per post, so here are the grip pics.
technically this isnt' a double post ;)

Xanatos1986
06-29-2011, 04:11 AM
looking great man keep up the good work.

stegasp
07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Grips turned out great. Congratulations!

ghost_a*
07-01-2011, 08:34 AM
thx man.
i painted the copper stripe above hte black stripe last night, but the tape malfunctioned so it didn't turn out right.
going to redo it this weekend.
also going to try to get some work done on the bunny ears and activation box this weekend.

Xanatos1986
07-03-2011, 10:48 PM
i did my activation box tonight check it out buddy lol

ghost_a*
07-04-2011, 08:52 AM
just saw it man, came out great!!!
that's gonna be the next thing i work on as well. i finished up the copper stripe painting/baking this morning and gonna permanently attach the grips sometime today.

Jedi-Loreen
07-04-2011, 09:02 AM
thx man.
i painted the copper stripe above hte black stripe last night, but the tape malfunctioned so it didn't turn out right.
going to redo it this weekend.
also going to try to get some work done on the bunny ears and activation box this weekend.
How did your tape "malfunction"?

ghost_a*
07-04-2011, 01:59 PM
3M painter's tape. the paint bled through.
i made for damn sure that it was pressed firmly and adhered to the metal before i painted.

jin starkiller
07-04-2011, 02:03 PM
try frog tape does much better

Crystal Chambers
07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I use 3M all the time. Try applying thinner coats, and maybe spraying a bit further from your piece.

ghost_a*
07-04-2011, 05:57 PM
i think that might've been the culprit actually. i was doing 4-5 coats.
i was spraying about 6-8 inches away in very even coats, but yeah, a lot of 'em.

i re-did it though and it came out much cleaner.

here's the handle basically complete save for the switches and permanently attaching the grips. they're still just hanging on the tack mounts, didn't end up getting time to fasten 'em.
i'm also thinking of JB welding or epoxying the sink tube cap pommel on so it's not removable. i'll still be able to access the inner by unscrewing the two button head screws.

my next order of business is most likely going to be the activation box and bunny ears.

stegasp
07-06-2011, 11:39 AM
It's really starting to come together, Ghost! Keep it up!

ghost_a*
07-06-2011, 01:02 PM
thx man :) i'm starting to get more and more excited as it takes shape.
with the grip section essentially finished i feel like i actually have something now.

ghost_a*
11-19-2011, 01:28 PM
quick update.
i found a few minutes to do the bunny ears and control box.
still considering putting a plate onto the control box, but i do like how it looks now too though.
the hardest part is yet to come. the crystal chamber. i don't want it too simple, so i'm trying to give it some major thought.

here's a couple pics of how it looks so far next to my MR LE anakin ROTS.
i scrapped the previous PVC i had for a thicker gauge.
now my screws are tapped and held in really well.

captain_mills
11-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Well done! Not a fan of the grips of the starkiller saber (in general, not yours)... but the upper part is awesome, and you're giving it justice! I await the next progress pics... :)

ghost_a*
11-19-2011, 10:39 PM
thx :) i really appreciate the vote of confidence.

i can't say i haven't been a bit disheartened in how awesome these MHS versions of starkillers are coming out.
just have to keep reminding myself that this strictly sink-tube/PVC from scratch.

at least with Galen Marek's saber being weathered/worn/abused i don't have to worry about tiny imperfections as much. they're actually adding more character to the saber.

Aikiguy
05-01-2013, 12:04 PM
What did you use for a template for the emitter shroud? I have been trying to find dimentions of the Starkiller saber for a while now, but no luck.

ghost_a*
05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
http://www.hu.u-net.com/graflica/