PDA

View Full Version : Calvary Custom Sabers Presents "S.T.E.V.E." A Double PVC Saber

cardcollector
01-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Hey Saberland!

It has been a while since I posted a new saber, and almost didn't post this one, but since it is a double saber and has some cool stuff on it, I decided I would. ;)

So, I built this saber for me with the intention of beating the crud out of it. There is no bling, or fancy designs on it. The most important thing when building a double bladed saber is to make sure it is perfectly balanced. if it isn't, then spinning one is very... difficult. this saber is balanced right at the middle O'ring, so it spins quite well. :)

Some Specs...
-Heatshrinked 1 1/2" PVC Tailpipe grip section.
- Flush mounted Basic Switch
- 2 BIN 1 Lux III cyan LEDs
- Secured Anti-rattle battery pack.

Here are some pics and a video.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NEn2MDL_Y8E/TURHLfAkxlI/AAAAAAAAAO0/jAVLJ-T8iuw/STEVE%20detached.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_NEn2MDL_Y8E/TURHLsjFO6I/AAAAAAAAAO4/PWq0MI1XU0Q/STEVE%20double.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NEn2MDL_Y8E/TURHH3vxSjI/AAAAAAAAAOU/w12orVWnQJs/STEVE%20full%20blade%20single.jpg
This blade pic is in full daylight indoors...

Here ia a video that goes into the saber in great detail....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XivHk7AwkI

And Yes, The lightsaber Stand is made entirely of LEGOs... :mrgreen:

Azmaria Dei
01-29-2011, 12:25 PM
very well done. i really like the cyan of those cyan LEDs!

Darth Midian
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Dude,that is awesome. I love the grips, great job.

cardcollector
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Dude,that is awesome. I love the grips, great job.

That's mean's a lot coming from the master of PVC. Thanks!

Ronan
01-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Nice bud :)

BTW... the black part look exactly like my back massage roll :D

Rafalema
01-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Wow great saber!

Who did the intro on your vid? It looks sweet too :cool:

Good idea with that lego stand, I'm so doing it when I find some legos :mrgreen:

cardcollector
01-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks Raf, my yOunger bro did that in inkscape and premiere elements. I'll let him know you liked it. :)

Darth Enab
01-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Awesome saber- kinda like mine (in progress) with the 1" PVC and the 1-1/2" tube (mine's metal, though.)

And I also made a stand out of LEGOs...but it was for a LEGO saber.

dgdve
01-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Very well done and definately looks like shes up for the duel... I'm still jealous at your stash of bin 1 cyans(you dog)..

Knighthammer
01-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Looks really good. I like the black grip area. At first, before I watched the vid, I though you had "turned" them to get that effect.

Jedi-Loreen
01-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Nice sabers.

But I'm wondering why you put your 2 switches 180 degrees from each other, instead of on the same side.

I've got a nice cyan bin 1 that Eastern gave me a couple years ago. I love the color. It's not dedicated to a saber yet, but sometimes I like to swap it out for blue or green.

bk_renesis
01-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Awesome grips, great design, nice color choice. These babies deserve some sound I think. Well done for a great build.

vctrsone
01-30-2011, 07:33 PM
nice and simple, I like it.

cardcollector
01-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Very well done and definately looks like shes up for the duel... I'm still jealous at your stash of bin 1 cyans(you dog)..

He (Steve) is a sweet fighter, Got to try him out today and he spun like a dream.

heheheheh... :twisted:

Looks really good. I like the black grip area. At first, before I watched the vid, I though you had "turned" them to get that effect.

Thanks man!

Nice sabers.

But I'm wondering why you put your 2 switches 180 degrees from each other, instead of on the same side.

It is a personal preference for me. The way I hold double sabers while I am dueling makes it more comfortable for me to put the switches at 180 degrees instead of the same side.

I appreciate the honest feedback guys! Hopefully soon I can get a vid up of the sabers in action....:cool:

JRD1
01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Nice work on a good design! I like your simple solution for the batteries! I wonder is there room in there for a basic sound board?

Nice sabers.

I've got a nice cyan bin 1 that Eastern gave me a couple years ago. I love the color. It's not dedicated to a saber yet, but sometimes I like to swap it out for blue or green.

I think it just depends how it screws on there... When he made it, I would bet it was aligned correctly, but depending upon where he starts to rethread determines where they will end up... Just a guess though I could be wrong!

cardcollector
01-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Nice work on a good design! I like your simple solution for the batteries! I wonder is there room in there for a basic sound board?

Thanks!
Yes there is plenty of room. but I didn't want sound in it because sound=more connections. more connections=greater chance of breakage. THis saber doesn't have to sound pretty, or look nice, it just has to handle well. That's why I didn't put sound in this one...

BTW, you should try to merge your two posts....

Jedi-Loreen
01-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Posts merged.

Please use the Multi-Quote button to the right of the Reply With Quote button so that you don't double post.

I think it just depends how it screws on there... When he made it, I would bet it was aligned correctly, but depending upon where he starts to rethread determines where they will end up... Just a guess though I could be wrong!

And I think you missed his post above yours ;):

It is a personal preference for me. The way I hold double sabers while I am dueling makes it more comfortable for me to put the switches at 180 degrees instead of the same side.

Crystal Chambers
01-31-2011, 10:51 PM
Very cool. I especially like the grips but the interesting coincidence is that I'm currently building an MHS twin stunt set in cyan bin 1 as well. No coupler though since I prefer longer staffs and shorter doubles. I would've finished them this weekend if I hadn't got very ill. Nasty flu...sigh. I agree that having a stunt set-up for dueling is nice since you don't have to worry about damaging boards.

kargos
02-01-2011, 07:10 AM
I am not a fan of PVC. But I like this and ur attention to detail. AND got to luv the name....

ghost_a*
02-15-2011, 01:20 PM
can you give some more detail on the heatshrink tubing you used for the grips?
i'm looking to cover about 1.5-2" of my hilt with heatshrink tubing but i don't know the first thing about it. how to get it perfectly smooth, where the best place is to get it in the first place, etc.?

Azmaria Dei
02-15-2011, 09:24 PM
i haven't done it myself yet, but 1.5-1.7" heatshrink is normally a good choice. the white letters can be removed with acetone. and to get it even, i've been told to put it in the oven. i have some painting racks just for that so that the parts are suspended horizontally so nothing slips or drips. as for where to get it, there are lots of places online - just do a google search or try your local hardware or electronics stores.

ghost_a*
02-16-2011, 08:22 AM
i noticed him mention fry's electonics. i have one locally so i'll check that out.
i wonder if they cut it to length for you or if you have to buy in certain minimum lengths?

cardcollector
02-16-2011, 09:29 PM
can you give some more detail on the heatshrink tubing you used for the grips?
i'm looking to cover about 1.5-2" of my hilt with heatshrink tubing but i don't know the first thing about it. how to get it perfectly smooth, where the best place is to get it in the first place, etc.?

I bought mine at a local electronics store, but not the one you mentioned... never even heard of that one.

The size is 1.5" heatshrink, I used a heatgun for this, slowly rotating the tube so as to get it even. I don't know where you could buy it online, but I'll bet a little googling would get you some results.