PDA

View Full Version : Using a thumb screw to secure a blade?

Sulious_Vandomar
01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Is using a set screw essential, or can we use something like a 8-32 thumb screw, as they're the same thread? Call me shallow, but I thought it might look more stylish on the saber I'm planning, but it's possible I may just be being silly here.

Thanks!

Doc B
01-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I use a recessed set screw to keep the lines on my saber clean. The only down side is that I need to carry an allen wrench with me, if I want to switch the blade out.

Jedi-Loreen
01-28-2011, 04:53 PM
There are plenty of sabers on which people use thumb screws, most of my sabers have them.

But sometimes it's just more aesthetically pleasing to use a set screw when you don't want a big thumb screw sticking out of your saber.

And the nice thing about a thumb screw is that you don't need to carry an allen wrench when you want to insert or remove your blade.

dgdve
01-29-2011, 06:26 AM
I have used both but for different reasons.. maybe your doing a replica.. and the look of thought of a thumb screw sticking out there is.... not even nice looking its just plain bad(Mace Windu with a thumbscrew... ewwww bad move right?).. but on some replica sabers the thumb screw even looks BETTER.. like the Ani's.. the thumb screw seems natural on that hilt and when I see them without it.. it looks funny now..

So to thumb screw or not... its up to you.. I say go for it.. change is good, throw off the shackles of the oppresive allen wrench and forever be free!!! (well dont throw it to far its still a good allen wrench)