PDA

View Full Version : 3w LED/MR Soundboard Question

Master Valon
01-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Hello forum! This is my first post, and I have been reading these forums several hours a day for a week now, and I still have not found a satisfying answer to a wiring answer.I'm building my 2nd MHS lightsaber, and this time I want to add some sound. So, I gutted a 2005 MR Mace Windu FX saber for its soundboard and I just ordered the latching SPST guarded switch, and was wondering if that is the correct switch to use. The rest of my electronics are as follows: 4AAA battery holder(6V), Lux III green LED, 2.2 Ohm 5W resistor, and premium speaker. So my question is this: If I can, how do I wire in the SPST latching switch, and can I even use an SPST? And yes, I did see the MR soundboard wiring diagram thread, but I don't know if I just wire in everything to the board, or what. Sorry, I just couldn't find this specific of an answer after a week trawling through the very useful forums. Thank you for your time and service!:D

Rhyen Skytracker
01-19-2011, 09:35 PM
The SPST switch will not work with the Mace FX board. It uses a 4 wire switch and you will need either a SPDT or a DPDT Latching switch. I have a wiring diagram with how to wire up the 4 wire switch here. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?11171-Switch-Wiring-Diagram-for-MR-board-with-4-wire-switch/page2&highlight=4-wire

Master Valon
01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention that, strangely enough, my soundboard only has 2 switch wires, despite being a 2005 MR Windu. So, will it work, or still no?

Azmaria Dei
01-20-2011, 02:50 AM
do you have any pictures of it?

Master Valon
01-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Well I'm having some pretty severe technical difficulties with my computers, so I'm afraid I can't upload any pics. All I can say is that it looks just like the Luke MR board that Tim posted. Sorry!

Ari-Jaq Xulden
01-20-2011, 08:22 AM
As I remember there were two versions of the mace board. One was Identical to the Luke board with only 2 switch wires.I have the same board. It has 4 wires going to the clash sensor as one of the swing sensors is there. Be sure to secure that clash board with the second swing sensor perpendicular to the the one on the main board. To answer your question, yes your latching switch will work. Also I don't think you need that large of a resistor if your running the led from the board.

Master Valon
01-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks so much this is the perfect answer I was looking for!

Master Valon
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey sorry so just to be clear, I would just wire in the led, speaker, switch, and battery pack to the soundboard? Would I need any resistor, or just a smaller one? Thanks!

Azmaria Dei
01-21-2011, 02:16 AM
the MR boards put out ~3.5V @ 1000mA to the LED output, so unless you're using a red P4, you should be fine without a resistor.

i would highly recommend switching those alkalines for NiMH in that battery holder, btw. that'll drop your voltage to 4.8V and you'll have less to burn off as heat.

Master Valon
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks that helped a lot!

Master Valon
01-26-2011, 04:41 PM
So with 4 Ni-MHs, I would just wire everything- the led, the switch, the speaker, the sensors, and the battery pack- directly into the board, needing no regulators or resistors? And the led leads wire directly to the Pos./ Neg. leads on the led?