PDA

View Full Version : Installing guarded switch

SpexSkywalker
01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm still new at this so i wanted to ask before i make any stupid mistakes... What is the best way to go about soldering the pieces of my saber-electronics together to make the switch easy to install? I keep running into two problems; If i install the switch first I can't get to it on the inside of the hilt unless i solder leads first, but then my wires will be long and cumbersome at the end of the project. Problem 2 is if i put the electronics together without the switch and pull the two wires to the switch up through the hole then i have to twist them up to get my switch installed. (I tapped the hole to match the switch threads, so my switch wouldn't fall out even if the nut came loose.)

So the question remains... What do i do now?

I have only one saving grace here and that is I'm using a quick connect with the LED portion, but i'm still running into problems.

Loachri MacTalabh
01-16-2011, 09:36 PM
A word of advice, don't post the same question in multiple threads.

Jedi-Loreen
01-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I deleted the other thread. One is enough.

Azmaria Dei
01-17-2011, 12:27 AM
you might consider using a JST connector for the switch as well for that. install the switch, then the electronics, then just clip them together.

Skottsaber
01-17-2011, 02:15 AM
Yep, that's what I did. I bought a saber with a gaurded switch and had to take it apart. The switch was hardwired in with long leads, which allowed me to twist it and pull it out, but not remove it completely, therefore making it impossible to remove the elctronics.
I eventually cut the leads and added a JST. Just plug it in before it goes into the hilt (or its a PITA to do inside), then just push it in and tighten the nut with some needle nose pliers or tweezers.

SpexSkywalker
01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys... worked perfectly, was still a bit of a hassle, but i did it.

I'd bought an Ultrasabers' Phantom and taken all the electronics out of both sabers to make the LEDs interchangeable with any other color i wanted. (Like changing color disks but much better effect.) Cheaper than an RGB saber, but a bit more work.