PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Yoda led saber that will be plugged into a wall outlet??

Rob1977
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Hello everyone.

I bought myself a pepsi lifesize Yoda figure made of solid resin for Xmas and have decided to remove the existing lightsaber and replace it with a led saber.

I dont need sound, but I have not found out how to build this simple saber and connect it to a ac adapter and plug into the wall to leave on all day? I do not even know whether it would be safe to leave a led saber on for hours on end, does anyone in the forum have any knowledge on this?

If someone on the site could please point me in the right direction, or tell me what parts list I need to buy, I would really appreciate it. I thought about buying the force fx yoda blade but its too damned big for my lifesize Yoda. His current saber hilt is only 5.5 inches long and a little over 1" thick.

thank you. I will post pics of this bad boy once I am done with it.

Skottsaber
01-12-2011, 10:59 AM
There isn't really an easy way to build a Yoda saber, and the parts in the store nearly all have a 1.25" OD, so you obviously won't find what you seek in the store.
You could custom make one, which would require some decent skills in at least Dremelling.

To an extent you can leave an LED on for a while, but it is in an enclosed space with no airflow so you may want to consider cutting some small holes in the hilt for a bit of extra cooling.
With regards to connecting to the wall, there are some LED drivers that are designed to be run off of mains voltage, but they generally are for applications that will run more than one LED, so you may have to do some research and find out if you can get a driver that will run a single LED off of mains. If this fails then you can always use a rechargable setup with a NiMH or Lithium Ion battery pack and get a smart charger from the store here, which plugs into the wall, and charge your saber in that fashion.

I hope some of this helps ;)

Strydur
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I think Skott meant nearly all have 1.45" OD

Google buckpuck and you should find one that will run off a/c

Skottsaber
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/facepalm7.jpg

My bad...

Rhyen Skytracker
01-12-2011, 03:55 PM
You can get a universal AC to CD adapter. Just make sure you get one that has the correct voltage and mA output. I have ran all kinds of DC voltage devices off of the universal adapters, but you MUST BE SURE TO GET ONE WITH THE CORRECT VOLTAGE AND CURRENT or else you will fry the saber or device.

grayven
01-12-2011, 04:50 PM
If it is for display with Yoda only and not to be used as a lightsabers, Then power is not that hard of a thing to do. All you will need is a AC to DC power adapter with the right or close to right voltage and mah output. Run wire a on off switch ( I would use a rooler switch, like you see on lamp cords) into the cord before connecting to the LED. I would also use a less demanding LED, why? to keep the heat down during continious useage. It won't be the brightes saber in the galaxy but the effect would be nice.
How big is the saber going to be? Is this a 1:1 scale?

If it is to be used as a nightsaber than yes it can be done but you would need set-up like Skottsaber was talking about. You could have it charge and run off the wall adapter at the same time, but the set up would be more involved.

Ok tha was wierd, when I posted this I didn't see any of the other post. All I saw was Scootsaber's post. But hey that didn't stop me from double posting now did it. LOL

grayven
01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I found a 4.5VD 1600mAH one with just a quick surch

cardcollector
01-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Why nOT get a masterreplicas saber, gut it and convert it, use the 3/4" blade reducer, and use that in the place of the saber it has?

Skottsaber
01-15-2011, 04:11 AM
I thought about buying the force fx yoda blade but its too damned big for my lifesize Yoda. His current saber hilt is only 5.5 inches long and a little over 1" thick.

It won't do...

kargos
01-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I just got my praco flashgun yesterday. the one they used to make the original. It is pretty close in outer diameter to a mag light C cell flashlight. just a hair or so bigger.

Sunrider
01-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Why don't you get the 20 dollar color changing night lite saber & use that?

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Milton-Science-Lightsaber-Light/dp/B00339QX6A

Darth Enab
01-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Try a Luxeon 1 with a single 18650 cell with, like Skott said, a smart-charger. You'll defiantly need a resistor, as the 18650 puts out 7-8 times more mAh then what a Lux 1 can handle! Hilt wise, try some 3/4" PVC; the OD is about 1". All together, it would be under $30 without the charger, (assuming you have tools) and probably under $40 with the smart charger. I remember someone (Eastern57, perhaps?) made a saber out of one of those things doctors put in your ears - so what you want wouldn't be impossible.