PDA

View Full Version : Impa's first MHS/chrome sabers

Impa
01-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Hello all -

New to the saber scene. Strangely enough i had no idea that saber building was a hoby. After randomly stumbling upon a PVC saber build from intstrucables.com (great for random DIY projects) and slowly finding all the inspiring MHS builds and custom graflexy goodness that are posted here on the forums. I new i had to throw my hat into the ring and get to building. Here are my first creations that i hope will be but a small footprint into the world of custom lightsabers. I want to personaly thank equinox13 for helping me with some of my newbish questions and Jay-gon for the awesome step by step tutorial which was one of the founding moments/discoveries that inspired me to start building. There are so many others who have drawn up sketches, wiring diagrams, build logs, switch wiring, tutorials, the list goes on, who have made it possible for me to decipher and assemble this seemingly nightmareish build to someone with as little experience as i have. So... Thank you a thousand times over.

Anyways - onto the sabers, which are very basic in my opinion, lots of room for upgrades. But i wanted to keep it somewhat simple on my first builds.

Parts :

2x Latching AV dot switches (blue/green)
2x premium speaker
2x 4AA 6V battery
2x Seoul P4 LED (blue/Green)
MHS Hilt style 3
MHS hilt style 2
BH - 16
BH - 8
2x 2" DF extensions
pomel style 3v1
pomel style 7
2x 1 1/2 x 12" chrome sink tube
Master replica's Mace Windu soundboard
Master replica's Luke soundboard

Here are a couple photos/vids. I have to say, dremel work was a lot tougher than some make it look. Drilling was an issue, soldering not so much. If you notice on the blue saber i used a Moen O ring to snug under the switch bezel. I messed up my drill hole for the AV switch when using a step bit to widen/bore out the opening. So i used the O ring to hide the slight gap i had between the bezel and the Hilt. Also since i broke up the colour of the chrome with the black ring, i added another ring to the pommel/hilt connection. I couldn't find the size i wanted until i opened up an old flashlight and thankfully the o ring there was a perfect fit. I am hoping to find more of this size for future sabers, thus far i havn't had much luck. Most hardware stores sell the standard sink/bath fitted rings. Also i severely scratched one of my Shrouds and in a panic i tried to salvage what i could, but sadly in the process i bent the fragile chrome grip window-sides rendering it useless. So i fired it in the scrap bin and started over. Anyways, it's late, i'm horribly tired after spending about 12 hours today finishing up my builds. Had to use my camera on my phone, sorry if it's crappy resolution, will take some better pics tomorrow if i get time.

Thanks for taking a look, and cheers to future builds.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa330/nimrodadams/018.jpg
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa330/nimrodadams/019.jpg

Knighthammer
01-08-2011, 07:53 AM
They both look really good - especially for the first time out the gate!

Impa
01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
They both look really good - especially for the first time out the gate!

thank you for the kind words - Cheers mate

Jay-gon Jinn
01-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Nice work! The grip cut-outs look very well done, even if you did have to redo one of them. ;)

Sulious_Vandomar
01-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm really impressed. They're simple, yet not without flash. Great job!

Impa
01-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Nice work! The grip cut-outs look very well done, even if you did have to redo one of them. ;)

Thank you for the comments Jay, greatly appreciated. It's just ridiculous how easy it is to scratch the chrome while shaping the grip windows or when boring out the switch hole. You don't have much room for error. I look forward to seeing more sabers from you in the future.

And thank you Sulious_Vandomar, i appreciate the compliments. There are still a few things i want to do to cap them off, and i will hopefully be incorporating more complicated designs in future sabers. This was to get my "foot in the door" so to speak. And i must say for as simple as they are, it was a big challenge. But i enjoyed the building process, already working on my 3rd and 4th saber. Crazy how addicting this hobby can be ;)

I also want to thank Tim for all his excellent machine work. My sabers would not exist if it wasn't for your efforts - Thanks

Cheers

- Impa