PDA

View Full Version : found possible saber crystals?? In the unlikeliest of places

General Drod
01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Ok so...I am still working on my new (1st) saber that I just built and I am already trying to think about all the cool things I want to do to this thing. Over the last couple days, I have been reading the forums looking at crystal chambers and so on. So I'm reading about how to build them, where to get crystals, etc. I'm online looking at different options.

Anyway...don't want to bore everyone but today, I'm taking a leak (I know probably TMI) and I look up, and sitting on my shelf in my bathroom is a glass vase kinda thing filled with these redish crystal looking things. Hmmmm......:idea:

So what these are, are the Renuzit Crystal Elements Air Freshener. They basically come in a bag. So I took one out, not really sure what they are made of, but I rinsed it off in the sink and the coloring came off so now its no longer redish, but none the less its a crystal!!!

So here are some pics of what one of the crystals look like. They are all shapes and sizes so you can literaly sift through them until you find one you like. I may try and see if I can shape one a little with my dremel.

So if anyone is interested and looking for crystals, here is an option. In one of the pics I shined the light from my saber on it so you can see how well it glows. I guess I'll be ordering some more parts soon.:D

Oh therea an added bonus, even though I rinsed the color off, the crystal still has a really nice smell to it. So if you install one of these in your sabers and start swinging it around, you have the added bonus that it will fill your room with a fresh clean smell. lol

cardcollector
01-06-2011, 04:00 PM
wow...

"and the last thing I remembered as the blade pierced my heart was the smell of roses... sadly... I never stopped to smell them."

Loachri MacTalabh
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Anyway...don't want to bore everyone but today, I'm taking a leak (I know probably TMI) and I look up, and sitting on my shelf in my bathroom is a glass vase kinda thing filled with these redish crystal looking things. Hmmmm......

Yes, your right! You may have stumbled upon a new endeavor. It's hard to see how big they are. You should place something next to them for scale(say a quarter). Nice find.

General Drod
01-06-2011, 04:30 PM
wow...

"and the last thing I remembered as the blade pierced my heart was the smell of roses... sadly... I never stopped to smell them."

lol... A Warrior and a Poet. Hmmm, I wonder if Shakespeare was a Jedi??

General Drod
01-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Here is another pic of the crystal next to a quarter for comparison. Keep in mind though there are all shapes in sizes.

IG-88
01-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Here is another pic of the crystal next to a quarter for comparison. Keep in mind though there are all shapes in sizes.

Good find. Interesting too. ;)

Crystal Chambers
01-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Some of these air freshening products shrivel up when exposed to air. Only the test of time will tell. Maybe some heat and light tests as well as researching what they're made of would be a god idea. It's difficult to speculate what may happen to them over time. It's funny how you can easily see new ideas for sabers everywhere. I'm always wondering "Could this be useful in a saber build?" lol

Sunrider
01-06-2011, 07:13 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I would be shameful and degrading to have the crystal shrivel up to a brown crumb. ;)

Rhyen Skytracker
01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Wouldn't a real crystal crumble up like that over time with that much power going through it? That would be embarassing during a lightsaber fight to have your crystal crumble and your saber blow up on you. LOL

General Drod
01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
I found out they are made from sea salt crystals. So your probably right, they may disintegrate or whatever. The good news is if you needed some seasoning all you have to do is whip out your saber. Makes a pretty cool looking salt shaker. lol

Loachri MacTalabh
01-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Wouldn't a real crystal crumble up like that over time with that much power going through it? That would be embarassing during a lightsaber fight to have your crystal crumble and your saber blow up on you. LOL

Real crystals don't degrade over time, they put out energy of their own. If you remember, they put tiny pieces of quarts crystal in watches.

Skottsaber
01-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Yes, crystal oscillators, measured for time accuracy in expensive watches. They are also electronic components.

Loachri MacTalabh
01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I was thinking along the lines of Timex. You know "takes a licken, Keeps on ticken."

Azmaria Dei
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM
voltage controlled crystal oscillators (VCXOs) are cheap and easy to manufacture stratum 3 to stratum 4 time sources. you just encase them in metal to keep constant pressure on them then run a current over them and count the oscillations to calculate time. they don't put out power - they vibrate when it's applied. these VCXOs are in almost everything - watches, microwaves, clocks, TVs, computers, remotes, mice, phones, game consoles, coffee pots, etc... the wonderful thing about VCXOs is that if you have a higher level stratum timing source, you can slave it to that source and 'train' it to that timing so that if you lose that higher stratum timing source you'll keep that timing for a set amount of time before you have any drift based on what your prior stratum level was.

Loachri MacTalabh
01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
they don't put out power

I didn't say they put power. I said they put out their own energy. The energy I am referring to is more of a life force thing. If you put Quarts Crystals around your house, they help keep the ants and other bugs away. With my faith (Druid), is where my basis of thought.

kargos
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
you can also get plastic crystals at the pet store. limited colours but cheap and easy to modify

Azmaria Dei
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I didn't say they put power. I said they put out their own energy. The energy I am referring to is more of a life force thing. If you put Quarts Crystals around your house, they help keep the ants and other bugs away. With my faith (Druid), is where my basis of thought.

and with my religion /wiccan/ i talk to rocks and things on a regular bases - and yes i get responses too, you just have to listen long enough. my desk in my room is partial to Darjeeling (having been spilled on it by a prior occupant) over any other tea that it's had.

as for your energy/power statement, the way you worded it made it sound like you could collect energy from them to me. sorry for the misunderstanding. and please don't think negatively towards me - i'm not one of the numb masses...

Loachri MacTalabh
01-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Azmaria, first, let me say "Blessed Be". Second, I value your in put to the umpteenth degree. I feel a strong connection to you, with our faiths so close in manner and all. But, enough of that on the forum, PM me if you want to discuss faith further.

Azmaria Dei
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Blessings of the Universe upon you love. ^_^

back on topic, i should probably take some pictures of all the rocks and crystals that my mom sent me for the holidays. ^_^ i have quite a few new bits that i really want to put to good use soon.

Jedi-Loreen
01-12-2011, 09:09 AM
If you remember, they put tiny pieces of quarts crystal in watches.

If you put Quarts Crystals around your house, they help keep the ants and other bugs away.

It's "quartz". "Quarts" are units of liquid measure.

And "input" is one word. ;)

Loachri MacTalabh
01-12-2011, 11:34 AM
You know the thing I hate the most, is people that feel the need to correct someone else.:mad: The one thing I have to remember, is the saying "To each their own"

Skottsaber
01-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Chill out... that's J-Lo's job, as the resident spelling Nazi. Just wait until the rare occasion you (think) you find a mistake she made :lol:
There is another saying, "Take it on the chin" ;)

Azmaria Dei
01-12-2011, 06:08 PM
yeah i forgot to make a note of your spelling of quartz in a prior post... guess i wasn't all here or something. thanks for catching it J-Lo! ^_^

spelling is important to some people, and it's a very common form of OCD - some more than others. either way Loachri, please just take it with a grain of salt, learn from it, and move on.

Jedi-Loreen
01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't correct people's spelling as much as I used to.

But every now and then, I just gotta. :p

If you ever catch me make a spelling error (and it does happen, from time to time), feel free to give me crap for it. ;)

Loachri MacTalabh
01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
I had bad day, and you hit a nerve. I apologize for any ill feelings you may have had. To get so upset over something so trivial is stupid. Especially with the lives lost in Tucson AZ. over the weekend. My blessings are with them.

Azmaria Dei
01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
ooh ooh ooh!!! 'gotta' should be 'have to' and 'make' should be 'making'. ^_^ more grammar than spelling, but i'm ok with that. ^_^

/hands you some poo! ^_^