PDA

View Full Version : blank 1.25" blade holder dimensions etc.?

Crystal Chambers
12-15-2010, 05:44 AM
I'm loving the new BH but I was wondering why only two holes in the heatsink? Since there's no 4-40 nylon screws included I'm guessing those holes are for wires which means we should use thermal adhesive to attach the star?

More importantly...
Total length?
Blade depth? 2"?
Will extra heat sinks be available to swap LEDs?

I never understood why the old one had holes in it for mounting when you need to drill a tube to go over it. Makes much more sense to drill and tap both together. I see the old one going bye bye....me likey this one much better.:D

oh!...I think a 1.5" sinktube version would be awesome too.

cardcollector
12-15-2010, 07:39 AM
I can answer the first question at least.;)
You are supposed to tighten the screw in heatsink so the lense and holder are rather compressed. I used hot glue to keep my heatsink in place after securing the lED

Strydur
12-15-2010, 08:26 AM
I know I listed this wrong to start with but it has been corrected.. This IS NOT for a 1.25" sink tube. It has a OD if 1.25", the same size OD as a sink tube.

As far as why the 1.25" sink tube mount has holes..
4x to hold the heat sink in place
2x to mount it
1x for the blade set screw
It is easier for most customers to drill 3 matching holes in a thin sink tube than it is to drill and tap multiple holes in the blade holder.

Rathan
12-15-2010, 04:54 PM
As far as why the 1.25" sink tube mount has holes..
4x to hold the heat sink in place
2x to mount it
1x for the blade set screw
It is easier for most customers to drill 3 matching holes in a thin sink tube than it is to drill and tap multiple holes in the blade holder.

That is the part that kinda stumped me .. how so you line up the holes if you cant see them?
I thought that I could make a template by wrapping paper around the blade holder and poking holes with a pencil but since the OD of the sinktube is greater then the blade holder, each hole around the circumference would be a little more off then the next.
When i get around to using mine, I will use the pre-drilled holes for holding the heatsink but will probably just drill the other holes through the sinktube and holder then tap them myself. Will save a lot of hassle I think.
...or am I missing something obvious?

Crystal Chambers
12-15-2010, 06:16 PM
That is the part that kinda stumped me .. how so you line up the holes if you cant see them?
I thought that I could make a template by wrapping paper around the blade holder and poking holes with a pencil but since the OD of the sinktube is greater then the blade holder, each hole around the circumference would be a little more off then the next.
When i get around to using mine, I will use the pre-drilled holes for holding the heatsink but will probably just drill the other holes through the sinktube and holder then tap them myself. Will save a lot of hassle I think.
...or am I missing something obvious?
These are my thoughts exactly. I ordered one and wasn't too happy with it so I just chopped it up to experiment..lol. I have seen people make excellent use of them but I'm not really sure how they mounted them without using large untapped holes and giant screws. Even then it would be that secure.

Sorry Tim. I noticed the correction but it didn't sink in for some reason.
While the 1.25" OD BH is a great idea for emitter options with MHS etc, I think the 1.25" and 1.5" sinktube BHs done like this would a huge improvement.

Since it is for mounting inside dimensions would really be useful.

Jordandau
12-15-2010, 06:22 PM
I started by drilling one of the mounting holes first, maybe you could start with the blade screw. If you don't mind extra holes in the blade holder you can use a smaller bit, go through your existing holes and drill another hole straight across. This way the holder acts as a template for the other holes. Then I took the holder out of the tube and screwed it from the inside of the blade holder out into the tube, joining them side by side. I don't have one apart right now, but i can take some pictures if you wish.

Hasid Lafre
12-15-2010, 07:21 PM
You can still use a template pattern you just got to measure for the extra distance, graph paper will help keep things aligned.

Strydur
12-16-2010, 12:53 AM
When we started doing this 5 years or so ago and almost every saber was a sink tube saber I made a lot of them this way using a piece of paper to mark the holes.

Crystal Chambers
12-16-2010, 05:31 AM
I hadn't considered using a sinktube blade holder in almost a year, and now that I recall, I must have been thinking of the difficulty in mounting MHS/sinktube adapters since you need 2 screws on each side. I just chop up MHS extensions for that. I did find the 1.25" sinktube didn't do much for me creatively, until I hacked it up and ruined it experimenting for a crystal chamber.

How long is the blank 1.25" BH...2.5"?
I really like how much room it leaves in how you mount it. Lots of possibilities.

dgdve
12-16-2010, 06:04 AM
hehe Yeah Long ago it was ONLY sinktubes.. (great job Tim btw, it's definately not said enough how bad the big yellow box really was).. but if you have trouble measuring for your holes (since you cant see them) there's a nifty trick using graphing paper or just use a small piece of paper.. place the paper against the sleeve and measure for the holes(cut the paper off at the centerline of the hole), tape the paper along the bottom edge so its even with the sleeve and it ends at the centerline of the hole.. lift the paper, slide the sleeve into the sink tube.. overlay the paper.. use your punch to mark out the new hole.. Rinse and Re use. I hope that helps(well I hope I explained it correctly, but it works wonders believe me)

cardcollector
12-16-2010, 10:17 PM
The majority of the sabers I make are sinktube based. I enjoy using he sinktube BH and it is really quite simple to get perfectly aligned holes.

1. Wrap a piece of paper around the BH.

2. Take a marker and press down where the holes are

3. Wrap the template around your tube, secure with masking tape and tada! Holes for you sinktube BH! :)

Crystal Chambers
12-17-2010, 05:19 AM
And I repeat.... I was confusing the mounting difficulty of the sinktube BH with MHS/sinktube adapter. I just thought the sinktube looked thin and uninspiring like this so I chopped it up and didn't use it.

More importantly I started this thread to ask for the dimensions (length) of the blank 1.25" OD BH.

Strydur
12-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Well that is easy.. just look under the dimensions tab silly.

Crystal Chambers
12-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Oh wow...that wasn't there the other day. Shouldn't be such a surprise with all the site work you've been up to lately..thx!

jedimastergarcia87
03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm wondering how long this blade holder is, I'm using one for a 1.25 sinktube myself but I need to know how long to cut the main emittor. Like how deep should the emittor be for the blade holder? Thanks.

Azmaria Dei
03-20-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm wondering how long this blade holder is, I'm using one for a 1.25 sinktube myself but I need to know how long to cut the main emittor. Like how deep should the emittor be for the blade holder? Thanks.

Well that is easy.. just look under the dimensions tab silly.

JMG, did you even read this thread? and how deep you cut it over the emitter beyond how far you have to is preference as well.

Tanimal
03-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I think he may be having the same confusion I am. So this is the blank 1.25" OD BH that were talking about that has the dimensions posted:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/125-OD-LEDBlade-holder--P591.aspx
And here is the 1.25" sinktube LED/BH, with no dimensions posted:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/125-Sink-tube-LEDBlade-holder--P269.aspx
I'm guessing he's asking about the length of that one, and if he's not, then I guess I am. And also, just to clarify, this goes inside of the sinktube, it doesn't go around the outside right?

jin starkiller
03-21-2011, 12:26 AM
yes it goes inside the sinktube