PDA

View Full Version : What LED am I supposed to use? Also, a question on balance.

Darth Indiana
12-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Hi, I've converted 2 sabers before, an 05 MR Vader, and an 07 Anakin. I'd like to get a new Anakin and start over as I had a terrible time with that one and there's no way to get the blade holder out(had one of those sizing issues). I had always heard that you had to use a Lux 3 with the MR or Hasbro sound board, or else you'll blow the board. Now that the Lux 3 won't be carried anymore, what am I supposed to use?

Also, a question on balance for you duelers and twirlers. Any tips on a better way to balance the saber? My friend Jim uses alot of stuff from here on his saber, but, his is an Obi-wan custom built, and it has a perfectly balanced weight to it, like a real sword. The Anakin I have is top heavy because of the aluminum blade holder. I was thinking of putting a pvc or metal pipe behind the blade holder instead of cutting the original blade holder in two just for a place to stuff the electronics. Any ideas?

dgdve
12-15-2010, 06:05 AM
I had always heard that you had to use a Lux 3 with the MR or Hasbro sound board, or else you'll blow the board. Now that the Lux 3 won't be carried anymore, what am I supposed to use?

Also, a question on balance for you duelers and twirlers. Any tips on a better way to balance the saber? My friend Jim uses alot of stuff from here on his saber, but, his is an Obi-wan custom built, and it has a perfectly balanced weight to it, like a real sword. The Anakin I have is top heavy because of the aluminum blade holder. I was thinking of putting a pvc or metal pipe behind the blade holder instead of cutting the original blade holder in two just for a place to stuff the electronics. Any ideas?

You can use almost any Led's with the MR board its very sturdy(any ones that run off similar volatage's the board puts out) , BUT you must use proper resistors. For now a general answer is use P4's or rebel stars (in the tcss store) Now onto your second question... balance on a weapon is never just the handle(Hilt).. the size (length) and weight(thickness) of your lightsaber blade will play a huge part in this balance your seeking.. each saber and blade must be balanced together and once balanced if you switch blades, a lighter(show) or a heavier(dueling) blade, you lose balance.. balancing a display saber isnt that easy since you have no room(or very limited space) for ballast.

I understand what your trying to do and I know it can be done but its not going to be easy.. not even close.. and your friends "perfect" balance probably just feels good.. perfect balance is much much harder to achieve then your thinking (imo). First start with the chosen saber add the chosen blade. Weight the speaker and all internal electronics as well as the blade holder(INCLUDING the chosen battery, which is the single heaviest internal componant). add that weight to the hilt.. now you can begin to figure out at which point your "ballast" will create balance.. remember to add weight to the "blade end"= add length... or go with a thicker blade.. you see what your attempting to do isnt going to be easy and will result(as I said earlier) in a saber and blade that are tuned to each other by length and thickness.... but how long are you going to go for perfect balance... 46".. 48" blade?? then factor in that to spin that 48" you need to be a pretty tall "b-ball" player type.. I'm 5'11 and I actually prefer around 36"... adding a foot to my comfortable spinning blade would actually throw off my equillibrium because of the added centrifugal force. I hope this helps